April 26, 2024, 05:10:08 AM

Author Topic: Abhorent to Nature  (Read 3890 times)

Wise fool

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Abhorent to Nature
« on: May 13, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
Been thinking of a possible card that affects non living, sort of a 'turn undead' spell (only it might possibly affect golems and jellies as well?).  It does no damage but forces the creature to take a move action away from the caster on its next action.  Could be a holy/nature spell.  This would differ from a force push in that it forces the creature to use an action to move.  Could be an minor alternative to Teleport for Nature/Holy mages.  Might be balancing issues, but I like the general concept.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Abhorent to Nature
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:21:42 AM »
This would certainly be cool.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »
I like this.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 01:17:56 PM »
I would not like to see any effect that forces a creature to use its own next action to move farther away... especially if the creature is slow (resulting in multiple turns to recover from the effect). If there were such a spell, however, it would have to be at least a level 3 spell, and cost on the order of 8-10 mana. (Mana cost is based on Turn to Stone at 2 +4 per turn, and Banish at 14 for three turns... the 0-2 mana reduction would be due to the creature's ability to do other things that might be useful, and due to the choice as to which zone it would move.)

Just on spells vs. undead:

It might be interesting to have a Holy spell that potentially(?) causes a "turned" condition on undead. This condition might essentially be a "stun" effect against undead... No move or attack, and remove after activation.

This might be an Incantation cast on the creature, an Equipment spell (Amulet?) allowing the wearer to "turn" undead (probably with mana cost based on level of creature), or a powerful Light-based attack spell that causes the condition in exchange for a lowered damage output.

An enchantment "Aura of Light" (or an Equipment spell providing such an aura) might be a damage barrier against undead creatures.
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 04:47:32 PM »
I do like the idea of forcing the creature to use it's own move action to run away. I don't think it would be any more powerful than other mandatory action effects, such as Taunt, and there could be ways to work around it. It would definitely have to be priced appropriately, and might need to be made Holy Mage Only or have some other restriction to keep it from becoming too common. Overall though, I think it would be very thematic and have a nice niche within the game.