July 02, 2024, 09:32:53 PM

Author Topic: FIF: Armory Preview  (Read 6365 times)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
FIF: Armory Preview
« on: April 07, 2014, 12:13:19 PM »
You can find the preview article for Armory >>HERE<<. Which Mage are you most excited about using an Armory with? Necromancer to pump his skeletons? Or Priest(ess) to pump Brogan and her Knight of Westlock? or Warlord and his plethora of soldiers?

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: FIF: Armory Preview
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 12:19:13 PM »
Don't really enjoy playing Swarm so I think I'll pass on this card. Thanks for the link though!
"See you space cowboy..."

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 12:33:14 PM »
My Warlord with his skeletons! So sad Skeletal Sentry is not a soldier :(

He is the reject of humanoid skeleton family... Skeleton Minion is even making fun of him: "ooo, you got a sword and an armor? That's nothing! With just a femur I am a soldier, me, unlike you."... Poor, poor Skeletal Sentry...

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »
I already stated this in the general thread, but I'll put it here just to be sure that it gets fixed before this set is released: this card has a typo. Same one as [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard]. Unique needs to be in black text, not gray.

Why is this important? Well, for a significant amount of time, I believed that Wizard's tower was restricted to one per deck (like epic), because unique was in gray text and I did not remember the definition. I am sure there are many players out there still under this illusion. Upholding conventions is important to help players understand the game.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 01:04:50 PM »
I already stated this in the general thread, but I'll put it here just to be sure that it gets fixed before this set is released: this card has a typo. Same one as [mwcard=MWSTX1CKJ02]Wizard's Tower[/mwcard]. Unique needs to be in black text, not gray.

Why is this important? Well, for a significant amount of time, I believed that Wizard's tower was restricted to one per deck (like epic), because unique was in gray text and I did not remember the definition. I am sure there are many players out there still under this illusion. Upholding conventions is important to help players understand the game.

Thank you for this ACG. Unfortunately, I believe we're beyond the point where we can fix it with this printing. I will see if there is anything we can do. I completely understand your concern.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
This is a nice soldier "totem", but I hope we have one more.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
This really favors a swarm of soldiers. I like the Armory, though be prepared to hard cast a few troops as well as getting that Barracks going full throttle. We've already been told there are some more good generic soldiers coming down the line such as the Bloodwave Bowman and I imagine the Piercing will add to them tremendously as Range+Piercing is just an awesome combo.

The biggest issue is you're honestly only going to get so many Outposts out in a game. They can't be adjacent and your opponent is very unlikely to be nice enough to give you full access tot he entire arena to just plop them down wherever you like. So you're really going to have to figure out some tough decisions at some point. This is not even taking into a Mana Flower, Battleforge or whatever else you might want.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 04:43:43 PM »
My favorite weird effect is that Goblin Alchemist gets +1 pierce to his corrode and fire ranged attacks.  Armor piercing acid that dissolves armor!

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:32 PM »
The biggest issue is you're honestly only going to get so many Outposts out in a game. They can't be adjacent and your opponent is very unlikely to be nice enough to give you full access tot he entire arena to just plop them down wherever you like. So you're really going to have to figure out some tough decisions at some point.

This is exactly why I am so hesitant to go with any type of Outpost opening for the Warlord. Realistically you are going to be able to lay down 3 outposts max against a mindful opponent. Also, the only outposts I like (so far) are Garrison Post and Construction Yard. I don't like Warlord swarm mechanics because I don't think the Warlord works best as a Swarm mage. Perhaps this new Warlord is going to be built around swarm mechanics but I certainly hope that isn't the case.
"See you space cowboy..."

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
The biggest issue is you're honestly only going to get so many Outposts out in a game. They can't be adjacent and your opponent is very unlikely to be nice enough to give you full access tot he entire arena to just plop them down wherever you like. So you're really going to have to figure out some tough decisions at some point.

This is exactly why I am so hesitant to go with any type of Outpost opening for the Warlord. Realistically you are going to be able to lay down 3 outposts max against a mindful opponent. Also, the only outposts I like (so far) are Garrison Post and Construction Yard. I don't like Warlord swarm mechanics because I don't think the Warlord works best as a Swarm mage. Perhaps this new Warlord is going to be built around swarm mechanics but I certainly hope that isn't the case.

Warlords are meant to swarm I think. They tools are mass buff and the expansion give them even more of them.
- Fortified Position
- Battle Standard
- Armory
- Horn of Gothos
- Veteran Tokens

All meant for large army.
A 4 mana Grunt Goblin suddently become a 2-4 armor, 5 hp, 5 attack dice + 1 piercing unit.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 07:05:23 PM »

Warlords are meant to swarm I think. They tools are mass buff and the expansion give them even more of them.
- Fortified Position
- Battle Standard
- Armory
- Horn of Gothos
- Veteran Tokens

All meant for large army.
A 4 mana Grunt Goblin suddently become a 2-4 armor, 5 hp, 5 attack dice + 1 piercing unit.
[/quote]

Just remember [mwcard=MW1J21]Suppression Orb [/mwcard] and [mwcard=MW1J16]Mordok's Obelisk [/mwcard] work regardless of how much armor you have....nothing worse than being frozen in place unable to move when you are being starved for mana.....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 08:17:01 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
Quote from: sIKE
Just remember Suppression Orband Mordok's Obeliskwork regardless of how much armor you have....nothing worse than being frozen in place unable to move when you are being starved for mana.....

Conquest will help a lot with that though. No longer have to tear it down, just have to cast a single spell and not only does it disappear but you also get to put down a beneficial conjuration.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 08:19:07 PM »
Just remember Suppression Orband Mordok's Obeliskwork regardless of how much armor you have....nothing worse than being frozen in place unable to move when you are being starved for mana.....

Conquest will help a lot with that though. No longer have to tear it down, just have to cast a single spell and not only does it disappear but you also get to put down a beneficial conjuration.
Yes this is true, it will help with the removal of these from the board, but the Zone Control condition can some times be quite hard to meet...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wildhorn

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 08:57:24 PM »

Yes this is true, it will help with the removal of these from the board, but the Zone Control condition can some times be quite hard to meet...

If it is hard, it means opponent also has creatures, so he is mana affected as much as you.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 09:54:07 PM »
Actually I don't see my reservation as being a huge problem per say. It's just going to make you decide how you want to go about this. If you want to focus on range then get the Archers Tower, if you want to focus on melee then maybe a well placed Garrison Post.

I truly feel that the Warlord is meant for swarming. Everything about both of these guys screams "I should be running an army." Harmonize your Barracks and get the other two outposts of your turn. You'll get something out every other turn basically.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.