April 25, 2024, 12:54:45 AM

Author Topic: New Promo Cards Sighted  (Read 19257 times)

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: New Promo Cards Sighted
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 06:54:26 PM »
anyone able to post a picture? When I try to get onto that site there pops up:

SonicWALL:

Gateway GEO-IP Alert

This request is blocked by the SonicWALL Gateway Geo IP Service.
Country Name:Germany.
IP: XX.XXX.XXX.XXX
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Cnoedel

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 07:40:14 PM »
Thank you! :)
"I close my eyes and seize it
 I clench my fists and beat it
 I light my torch and burn it
 I am the beast I worship..."

DTHGRPSBWR

http://absurdurbannihilist.tumblr.com/
my blog.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2014, 09:10:14 PM »
Thank you! :)
I just used the Googler...

Dr.Cornelius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 02:38:52 AM »
It's more like a trap ;)
Yes Fire Elemental is a trap: i.e. a card that appears to be strong but is in fact weak.

Here's why:
First, it is Ethereal, which means it has low health relative to its cost.  And at this point Ethereal is scissors, and there are a lot of rocks in the meta: Lightning attacks, Wizard's inherent Zap, Mage Staff and others.  Water attacks also do full damage and are relatively common due to the usefulness of attacking Battle Forges, pushing opponents through pain walls, etc.   In short, the Fire Elemental is very inefficient against Wizards, so why include an high point cost card which will be dead when facing an already challenging matchup.

Even if you get a favorable matchup, and your opponent is not packing anything that does full damage, the Fire Elemental is still not particularly effective.   

Here's why: 
At 4 spellbook points (IIRC), only Warlocks and Fire Wizards will be playing the FE, and will also have other fire attacks.   If your opponent is able to keep good counters to fire in play (Dragonscale Hauberk, Elemental Cloak), spending 20 mana to add more fire attacks does not necessarily improve your board position.  Conversely, if a Warlock or Fire Wizard's fire attacks are working at full strength, then they are less likely to need the FE.   Likely better off to diversify and bring something to counter other threats, like a demon with flying, piercing or counterattack.

At a bare minimum, the Fire Elemental would need to be revised to be less vulnerable to Lightning in order to be competitive.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 02:51:38 AM »
Having fought the Fire Elemental, yeah it's not that scary. There are lots of ways to do ethereal damage out there and it's just not that hard to avoid the thing until you're ready to destroy it.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 02:41:54 PM »
mmm i believe there are too many promo cards without released, i hope in FiF would be more... maybe the next expension there are too many for release.

(i need my wind ring and my storm staff:P?

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 03:58:11 PM »
mmm i believe there are too many promo cards without released, i hope in FiF would be more... maybe the next expension there are too many for release.

(i need my wind ring and my storm staff:P?

Staff is still on my watch list.
Yes we should get more promos into sets but balance and cards that fit the set theme come first.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 11:36:37 PM »
The Staff of Storms gets played in a lot of casual around here. It's VERY powerful. In fact of all the promo cards it's the only one I'd consider making an argument for being over powered at the moment. It's by means an auto win but it can really mess up your day when combined with a Lightning Ring(which it always is obviously.)

Note: I've never seen a Ballista so....
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Dr.Cornelius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2014, 01:01:55 AM »
Staff (of Storms) is still on my watch list.
As well it should be.  I have faced it a few times, and while it may not be overpowered per-se, it increases the likelihood of stun-lock and the resulting NPE (Negative Play Experience).

What the designers should really be asking themselves is "does lightning really need another boost?"

I would argue no.  IMHO Lightning is already the strongest type of damage, Fire vs Druid notwithstanding.   And Lightning attacks are near broken when combined with Lightning Ring and Akiro's Favor (for example, 83% chance to Stun with Thunderbolt and re-roll effect die).  Plus Lightning has Ethereal and a number of strong cards have Lightning +2. 

Bottom Line: Lightning attacks (and Wizard in general) really do not need a boost. 

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 02:11:04 AM »
So initial cost for the stunlock is staff of storms which is 7 mana (IIRC), akiros favor 3 mana and a lightning ring 3 mana (but that doesnt help the stunlock part).

From here you wish to spend a fullaction and 10 mana on stunlocking something.  Not to mention its a level 3 spell, that i believe you will be using with an elemental wand which is an additional 5 mana to set up.

So basicly if you wish to stunlock a creature, you are doing so at an extremely high cost - just casting 2 of these bad boys and you often paid far more than the creature costed - not to mention the setup cost.

If you wish to stunlock the enemy mage your doing so at a huge cost and in a way your stunlocking yourself at the same time due thunderbolt is a full action. The advantage you get is of course getting to roll some dice - but these are rather expensive imo.
The other mage can still use a quick action to dissolve your wand if your in range. If your not in range he can armor up or block your LOS with a wall, or forcepush / teleport himself further away.
Thats assuming he lets you play: Staff, Ring, Wand, Akiros without reacting.
Thunderbolt without some or all of these are more of a situational spell due to its hefty costs in mana, spellpoints and taking a full action.

Im actually on the other side of the fence. I believe lightning spells DO need a buff.
Because right now the obvious choice to me is the equivalent fire spell every time they cost equal spellpoints include.

Im saying all this without ever having played or played against the staff of storms. My initial impression was that it would be strong with jetstream, for more dice and more reliable push.

Feel free to enlighten me, but i need more concrete examples to understand how this card is OP.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 05:18:01 AM »
I play an Air Wizard quite a bit who uses the staff. The downside to it is it takes up a hand and isn't by itself that awesome. It also has to charge for full effect.

The upside. Oh boy the upside is it CAN hit you like a freight train if the Wizard even half way knows what they're doing. Lightning Bolt is a quick cast and it can REALLY hurt with 4 extra dice on it. The staff pretty much guarantees you're going to one shot low to mid level creatures when it's fully powered.

Mind you I've beaten said Air Wizard while they were using that staff but I've also lost to it enough that I've learned to fear the staff. It's not the big spells that you have to worry about with it though. Even Arc Lighting is scary with a fully charged staff backing it up, or even the low 1 staff charge can make a difference.

Knights of Westlock crap themselves when they see that thing come out trust me.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 02:30:04 PM »
for now i see this promo cards unbalanced:

-Staff of storms and Ballista

If i could i change staff of storms to be the only added of dice, no rings or spell, only use staff to add damage, to avoid a snipper incantation and do damage more effective, you cant reroll dices and something similar.

Ballista : Piercing 2 and 3 dice.

Maybe we could open a post for every promo card to avoid negate cards for the game, and put our point of view to each card, not only a cry post.

If Shadow dont mind, i believe it´s good for the game that they put every kit anounced with every card, that we could see well and put all our opinions.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 02:34:18 PM by isel »

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 03:07:03 PM »
Since Staff of Storms "adds dice of damage" instead of granting "melee/ranged +X" and doesnt specify non-zone attacks:

Staff of Storms promo + Sandstorm promo= Pure chaos.

QUICKcast, 0-2 Range, 8 mana-
6 Dice ZONE attack... +2 vs flyers, +1 Pierce.

Guarenteed push or daze, if not both on effect chance, with random push directions... possibly into a wall or border for 3 more dice damage.

Its a fun combo if you play with promos.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 03:27:21 PM »
6 Dice Zone attack once every 4 rounds. You have to have the 4 Storm tokens on the Staff to get to the 6 Dice.

None the less Sandstorm when (If) it goes GA should be changed to Full Action like the other Zone Attack spells.