April 19, 2024, 09:31:08 PM

Author Topic: Effect die applied if no damage taken?  (Read 7438 times)

Mage Warrior

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Effect die applied if no damage taken?
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:49:45 PM »
Hello,

After playing for a few days now, one question stands out that we cannot resolve. When a creature attacks that has an additional effect (such as burn, rot, etc.), if the effect die is succesful (i.e., rolls high enough), is it still applied even if no normal or critical damage was done? Our intuitive thought is that if a fireball for example rolls all 0s for the red attack dice, but rolls a 12 for the effect die, since the attack completely missed, no burn effect happened, or does the effect die count regardless of the normal and critical hits?

Thanks!
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

Lothar

Re: Effect die applied if no damage taken?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 01:26:11 AM »
Hi,

The effect is still applied, even though no damage is done. The effect die and the attack dice are completely independent of one another.

Cheers.

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 02:52:59 AM »
i would also like to point out that some effects (like mana drain on the mana leech) does require damage to be dealt in order to take effect.  but most of the time, no the damage dealt does not matter.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:55:27 AM »
Quote from: "Mage Warrior" post=1381
Hello,

After playing for a few days now, one question stands out that we cannot resolve. When a creature attacks that has an additional effect (such as burn, rot, etc.), if the effect die is succesful (i.e., rolls high enough), is it still applied even if no normal or critical damage was done? Our intuitive thought is that if a fireball for example rolls all 0s for the red attack dice, but rolls a 12 for the effect die, since the attack completely missed, no burn effect happened, or does the effect die count regardless of the normal and critical hits?

Thanks!

Here is  what I was able to find.

Add or subtract all of these modifiers from the number of
dice listed in the attack bar. Roll a number of dice equal to
the final, modified attack value. If the attack has any possible
additional effects listed in the attack bar (always shown as
an additional effect box with a d12 icon), also roll the effect
die at the same time, and add or subtract any modifiers to
that roll.

Quote from: "Lothar" post=1382
Hi,
The effect is still applied, even though no damage is done. The effect die and the attack dice are completely independent of one another.Cheers.

So because the dice are technically rolled at the same time the effect is independent of the damage. So Lothar was correct. Good call
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Gigan

• Elder
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 10:24:59 AM »
Just verifying.  Yes, you roll for effect even if you have rolled all blanks on your attack dice.

SeerMagic

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 10:12:31 PM »
that seems really dumb. up to this point everything has been thematic in the game. why would I get stunned from a lightning bolt that didn't hit me?

also I could have swore in one of the videos somewhere it said it had to hit.
\"All men dream - but not equally. Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity... But the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did.\"

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 01:29:32 AM »
just because you take no damage does not mean it did not hit you.  there is no hit roll in this game, the spells and attacks always hit.  you just roll for damage.  maybe you had enough armor to block it, or somesuch, but you still could be stunned
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 11:18:49 AM »
Quote from: "Klaxas" post=1520
just because you take no damage does not mean it did not hit you.  there is no hit roll in this game, the spells and attacks always hit.  you just roll for damage.  maybe you had enough armor to block it, or somesuch, but you still could be stunned

Good way of looking at it.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Gigan

• Elder
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:53 AM »
Basically, you always hit unless a creature uses its Defense to dodge the attack.

Consider that, for example, armor absorbs the damage of a poorly cast Fireball spell, yet the fire still clings to the armor, causing the creature to possibly burn.

If it was Lightning Bolt, you could imagine the same scenario except that the electricity still shakes the creature up enough to Daze or Stun it.

Nitz

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 09:48:46 PM »
Also, perhaps in the example you saw in the video they were referring to an attack that didn't hit, not just from a defense dice roll, but this could also occur from an attack that was negated by a card played or attached to the creature being attacked.