March 28, 2024, 03:35:06 AM

Author Topic: Forged In Fire  (Read 376575 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Forged In Fire
« on: March 03, 2014, 07:59:31 AM »
Now that we finally have something from Forged in Fire:

Discussion time.

This looks like a useful curse, though it seems pretty easy to dispel. I like that it encourages burn stacking; as the preview says, water is a pretty hard counter. Is it worth 2 spell levels, though? I suppose with a few wardstones, it could be pretty fearsome.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:04:23 AM by ACG »

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
Re: Forged In Fire
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 08:22:21 AM »
Now I wonder if I will include this to my priest spellbook. 5 SP is quite alot.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:16:35 PM »

Perhaps, if you used 2x Wardstones and didn't cast/reveal this enchantment until near the end of the game with a 2x Fireball round for max effect?

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 05:16:33 PM »

Perhaps, if you used 2x Wardstones and didn't cast/reveal this enchantment until near the end of the game with a 2x Fireball round for max effect?

Sure, but why waste spellpoints on fireball? Use the staff or a pillar of light and go for the autoburn (with chance of stun/daze as a bonus)! Then they can't even stop you with flame resistance. I can see this as a fun end-game strategy for the priest.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 05:18:14 PM »
You know I really love the title of the set Forged in Fire.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 08:23:05 PM »
This isn't all that hot for the end game or priest. Lock has more ways to cast without using actions and the whole point is to keep burns around as long as possible. I would think you'd drop this early and kill it with fire ASAP.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 08:45:17 PM »
This isn't all that hot for the end game or priest. Lock has more ways to cast without using actions and the whole point is to keep burns around as long as possible. I would think you'd drop this early and kill it with fire ASAP.
Persistent Burns can be quite annoying especially with 2 or more.....

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 09:55:08 PM »
I have a feeling we'll see something that makes burn a lot more prevalent.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Forged In Fire
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 05:34:26 AM »

Absolutely. But paying 5 spell points for a three mana enchant that does nothing unless the guy across you takes that **** to Vegas; for a once a turn ability; without a curse sword/ring to subsidize; or a fire breathing, curse spewing imp to help cast? Seems too cute.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:36:39 AM by ProjectMayhem »

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 01:24:06 AM »

Sure, but why waste spellpoints on fireball? Use the staff or a pillar of light and go for the autoburn (with chance of stun/daze as a bonus)! Then they can't even stop you with flame resistance. I can see this as a fun end-game strategy for the priest.

Pillar of Light is going to hit a mage for 3 dice with ring (4 with Hawkeye too). Unfortunately, the Holy school doesn't have good finishing attacks. Though if the mage was in melee range, staff then Fireball would also be effective.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 01:54:49 AM »

Absolutely. But paying 5 spell points for a three mana enchant that does nothing unless the guy across you takes that **** to Vegas; for a once a turn ability; without a curse sword/ring to subsidize; or a fire breathing, curse spewing imp to help cast? Seems too cute.
I understand that but what if there are 2 or more burns on say a grizzly? Is it worth it then, a bat?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 09:27:26 AM by sIKE »

applepi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I like pi(e)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 05:55:11 AM »
People have said that the warlock isn't useful fighting the necromancer, because his curses are less useful.  I think the warlock just got a card that can put on a lot of hurt to all zombies.  In addition, it will also wreck those jellies the wizard loves so much.

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 09:41:00 PM »
I understand that but what if there are 2 or more burns on say a grizzly? Is it worth it then, a bat?

No, because a bat is three spell points, not five. Warlock does it much better and doesn't cost an angel to throw into your book.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 12:35:05 AM »

No, because a bat is three spell points, not five. Warlock does it much better and doesn't cost an angel to throw into your book.
For a Priest it is a bit on the expensive side I admit, but a bat has to go through armor.

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 05:37:37 PM »
What I like with that enchatment is that it force opponent to ask himself, do I want to spend an action an a dispell on something that might do nothing at all.