April 26, 2024, 10:46:47 AM

Author Topic: Whirling Strike  (Read 4464 times)

Borg

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Whirling Strike
« on: March 16, 2014, 01:41:42 PM »
A card that doesn't seem to get much attention on the forum is Whirling Strike and I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the card.

A 9-mana, quickcast Incantation for 3 attacks against 3 different targets looks like it should have its uses in certain spellbooks.

Clearly it is best used with creatures with a quick attack of 4+ basic attack dice.

It also seems to be intended to give a boost to solo Mages and/or elite creatures to deal with swarms and to give an action advantage to the user.

Going through the creature pool, to find out which creatures would benefit most from this card, the first card that sticks out is the Iron Golem.
6 attack dice x 3 can maw away weenies in a hurry.

The Warlord seems like a logical choice to run this combo, especially since his Ring of Command can bring the cost down to 8 mana for 12 extra attack dice.

An Earth Mage probably likes this card as well, as if he needs more power ... :)

Another excellent creature choice would be Adramalech, Lord of Fire
A 6-dice quick attack with a 66% chance of adding 1 or more Burn counters x3 is impressive.
Imagine using this on some Fire +2 creatures ( Druid, are you paying attention ? ) ouch.

In the 5-attack dice pool, Samandriel stands out.
5 attack dice, +1 vs non-living or dark creatures and a 50% chance to Daze or Stun seems to be quite potent as well.

Other honorable 5-attack dice mentions : Steelclaw Grizzly, Knight of Westlock ( which means the Priest could use 1 or 2 of these in his Spellbook imo ), Necropian Vampiress and Bridge Troll.

In the 4-attack dice category, Valshalla, Lightning Angel stands out and of course the Priest armed with a Staff of Asyra and the Warlock with his Whip can get some nice results out of this card.

The Forcemaster with Galvitar seems borderline and is probably better off with a Retaliate.

Special mention : Kralathor.
4 attack dice for starters, but 6 dice vs Undead and with the Growth ability tacked on this card has the potential to be big.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this card and for those who have already used it or seen it being used, please share your experience.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:02:38 PM by Borg »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster

applepi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I like pi(e)
    • View Profile
Re: Whirling Strike
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:17:36 PM »
I used it as the forcemaster the last time I played.  It's situational, but it allowed me to get past two guards, killing one, and hit the priestess. 

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 03:15:15 PM »
It is not used much because Battle Fury is 4 mana less expensive and less situational.

5 mana to attack a 2nd target or twice the same is better than 9 mana to attack 3 targets.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:13:19 AM »
It is not used much because Battle Fury is 4 mana less expensive and less situational.

5 mana to attack a 2nd target or twice the same is better than 9 mana to attack 3 targets.

I am in agreement with this. Whirling Strike is better against a swarm, but swarms are not extremely common. Meanwhile, Battle Fury, at nearly half the cost, is almost as good against multiple foes and is much better against a single target.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:01:25 PM »

I am in agreement with this. Whirling Strike is better against a swarm, but swarms are not extremely common. Meanwhile, Battle Fury, at nearly half the cost, is almost as good against multiple foes and is much better against a single target.

A well timed WS can be a blowout against a swarm build. Since swarm is currently not seen much most people have put the card to 2-3 tier.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 04:57:11 PM »
Very useful with rot and tainted attacks