April 20, 2024, 12:00:35 AM

Author Topic: Drunken Wizzard  (Read 6959 times)

DrunkenSaint

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Drunken Wizzard
« on: February 18, 2014, 04:20:15 PM »
So I have not posted much yet and I thought I'd get involved! What better way than to start uploading my decks!

I should mention that I am still fairly new to the game. I didn't have any friends that played the game and bought it on a whim. I LOVE it! I have owned the game for a while now, (since November) but have only recently been able to get others interested enough to purchase copies, though I have shared it with 5 friends now who each bought one, YAY! All of that is to say that until recently my play has been sporadic and always against newcomers using books I built. Additionally I never play with the same deck 2x in a row. For that matter I try to play them all evenly; I have 6 mages and only get 1-2 games in a week if I am lucky, so most have only been played a few times. I tweak them after the game but usually don't get to test the results for quite a while. Some seem to be working quite well others are a little iffy. I have also tried to make 6 functional books so some of my card choices are based on availability. all of this is to say I know that some of these are less than optimal some advice I wont be able to implement, at least not now, (I have no more teleports or enchanters rings :( could we get a few key guards in just like a 5 pack???? that would be awesome!) anyways, I'd still love to hear any advice/criticism.

We'll start with the:

Wizard (sortilege)
(Air)

---  Attack  ---  (6)
2 Jet Stream
1 Thunderbolt
1 Windstorm
---  Conjuration  ---  (35)
1 Wall of Poison Gas
2 Wall of Thorns
1 Wall of Fire
2 Wall of Stone
1 Bloodspine Wall
1 Suppression Orb
1 Mana Syphon
2 Mana Crystal
1 Gate to Voltari
1 Wizard's Tower
---  Creature  ---  (24)
1 Gargoyle Sentry
1 Blue Gremlin
1 Darkfenne Hydra
1 Gorgon Archer
1 Devouring Jelly
2 Whirling Spirit
---  Enchantment  ---  (17)
1 Harmonize
1 Regrowth
1 Circle of Lightning
1 Eagle Wings
1 Decoy
2 Nullify
2 Essence Drain
1 Teleport Trap
---  Equipment  ---  (15)
1 Gale Force Ring
1 Mage Wand
1 Elemental Wand
1 Suppression Cloak
1 Dragonscale Hauberk
1 Arcane Ring
1 Eagleclaw Boots
1 Dispel Wand
1 Leather Gloves
---  Incantation  ---  (23)
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
1 Seeking Dispel
3 Force Push
2 Teleport
1 Sleep
1 Minor Heal

This is probably my favorite deck so far, has lots of options for play and its just so much fun shoving people around! Anyways I have thus-far played him three times well four, once with the recommended build. so far my openings have been:

Game  1:  (win)
Gate to Voltari/harmonize (in my corner). This was followed by my mage  (and a blue gremlin ) advancing and causing mischief until i was fairly weak followed by a retreat  towards my gate. The opponent pressed hard, I used the gate to get a nearly free hydra teleported the opponent in and shut the door with 2 stone walls. the following turn it summoned a jelly, ( I continued to run from his minions outside) and he Died fairly quickly (broke down the wall, I made a fiery one and shoved him back in.

game 2 :  (win)
Mana Crystal/(move) Mana Crystal. He left his corner so I moved again and placed a mana siphon. He already had 2 smallish creatures and a spawn point, so i placed a Suppression orb down as well. he felt the need to come after me and mine at that point I moved in to slow things down a tad, and put up a wizard tower when I could, along with some walls, eventually an archer. i retreaded at that point and let my ranged hits, pushes and walls do most of the work. Lost my gorgon eventually, but it was too late for him to make a comeback.

Game 3:  (win)
Mana Crystal/(move) Wizard's Tower (center). He stayed put (gearing up for I thought mass production with the necro), I got a gorgon to overlap my tower, then equipped myself with some wands, he stayed put and got himself that doomsday alter dealie and a bog acolyte.  i moved into bunker breaking mode, he walled himself in fairly quick, using his graveyard to get a few wimpy guards outside, i ignored them moved up close and got my hydra out right next the the wall, he got mort out and kept the walls up for a while, i misplayed and knocked down the wall at the wrong moment, allowing him to get a new one in place. next time i got it down i was ready and teleported his mage out, and into range of my tower/archer, i walled off his retreat,  and proceeded to kill him faster than his damn alter could do the deed to me.

Ill post another of my books soon! they will all be titled Drunken(type) just to keep it simple!

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Drunken Wizzard
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:41:24 AM »
Firstly, congrats on your first brave posting of your strategising, it's quite daunting. And it's a woozy of a debut.

I like the book, so many interesting choices instead of spamming an undercosted card which is efficient but dull.
I like the game write-ups, informative yet very readable (though I'm surprised you chose Gorgon against Necro).
I especially like your signature prefix! Nicely self-deprecating branding - you don't work in marketing perchance?

As for...

I have no more teleports or enchanters rings  could we get a few key guards in just like a 5 pack? that would be awesome!

I have been saying these booster packs should exist since I first joined this forum in July and even 2 days ago.

Ideal distribution is complicated because the utility of the card and how common it will appear in different books.

For example, everyone wants more

* Teleport
* Dragonscale Hauberk
* Elemental Cloak
* Regrowth Belt
* Enchanter's Ring

Booster packs with these spells (and others) should be created because there is demand for them.
Maybe each of these Booster packs should have a theme.

For example: "Beastmaster Booster 1" may have all the missing level 1 animals, Rajan's Fury and Marked for Death needed to play that archetype, "Wizard" will have more Teleports, Whirling Spirits etc. I'm just thinking about the cards we borrow and proxies we use. (Not to mention any errata text cards). These boosters would be cheap and themed towards certain builds to minimise what you need. It's good support.

You really would think a commercial company would grab sales/profit opportunities!
Maybe they want to force players down Spell Tomes but here in the UK, the Tomes are so expensive, I just got a 2ndCore Set instead.
Themed booster packs will be such a non-purchase (unlike Tomes) that they'd fly off the shelves as players build simultaneous books.
Maybe if we all mentioned it constantly, they may realise how pack size/composition is so important in marketing.
The problem is numbers needed require a Mage Wars brain as you must judge the utility of each card to appear in different spellbooks.
4 Destroy Magiic? - er, no thanks (0 would have been a nice number until we get more zone/conjuration enchants)
Anyway, I replied to this post never intending to meander into one of my pet peeves...

Your book is not only fun but really rounded hence competitive, it's well-built for so many match-ups, Drunk! :)
The one thing I would suggest is to possibly try to make room (7SPs) for Huginn + Bull Endurance + Regrowth
Although he uses up valuable Incants, being able to peer over your Walls is really useful (may need more Push)
He won't often come out, he's match-up dependent (much like your whole toolbox of cards concept).
But when you get into "Wiz-Port Wars" or a Holy Mage uses Divine Intervention to escape, you'll appreciate him.
The only time I managed to snag a Divine Intervention using a Seeking Dispel was using my far-sighted Huginn.
Because like Wands, he also give you another option which is great tactical advantage, allows for finesse plays.
And your attraction to this book (I was constantly told it's not a deck) is because you're a stylsh finesse player.

One other issue is a rare Warlord match-up (allegedly some play the poor unloved Orc, no wonder he turned out bad..).
As an Air Wizard, Wall of Fog only costs 1 and protects your conjurations from Akiro's Hammer which wreaks control.
[Edit: scratch that, you have Wall of Fire for this but Surging Wave/Dragonscale/Cloak common so Fog may be better]

Otherwise I can see this book is great fun to play and if I had the promos, I'd use it to attract players to the game.

A welcome return of the totally toolbox book based on a strong consistent theme. Bravo!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 05:24:15 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 05:27:47 AM »
This deck looks like a blast to play!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:54:00 AM »
Yeah, definitely a breath of fresh air...
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

DrunkenSaint

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 03:53:02 PM »
Thank you so much for all of the support and input! this book is indeed a blast, and by far my favorite thus-far!

I especially like your signature prefix! Nicely self-deprecating branding - you don't work in marketing perchance?

I did indeed worked in marketing for some time! though the name DrunkenSaint has been my gamer tag since high school, and have "branded" the titles of most of my creations with the "drunken" prefix since then, so I don't know that it can really claim to have been influenced by my background in market analysis.... but that is neither here nor there!

As to the addition of Huggin. I agree he could be wildly useful in some situations! In addition to the  "Huginn + Bull Endurance + Regrowth" I would likely need some more pushes and teleports to support his use of them. A fairly heafty investment in spellpoints all around for something that, as you said "won't often come out". I dont know which of the cards I have (most of which see regular use)  I would replace. do you have any suggestions?

I too love the wall of fog! I can see where it would com in handy as a cheap alternative. It is in a different book at the moment though, and is I think of more use where it is.

As to my use of the gorgon archer in a match-up against the Necro. I thought that he would be coming at me in a slow mass. I Figured that ranged attacks coming from 2 different squares  and supported by pushes/walls/and teleports would force him to work very hard to take down either target (even if the gorgon gained finite life he would have to divert major effort into killing her. The loss of the special effect from the gorgon seemed minimal, given the advantage I leveraged in terms of control.

Anywho, thanks again for all the input! see you guys around!