April 30, 2024, 03:18:29 PM

Author Topic: Tataree... reasons to play?  (Read 20232 times)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Tataree... reasons to play?
« on: February 16, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »
Hello there fellow mages,

i just stare at tataree for a few minutes but still cannot came up with a reason to play it.

[mwcard=DNC17] Tataree[/mwcard]

If i use it to help my seedling pods, i use 6 mana and one quick action. If i use harmonize, its 4 and with enchant ring 3.

Ability to heal... well if i am forced to heal plants with regeneration, it seems that i did something wrong :)

I am fully aware, that to cast harmonize on more then one spawn point or seedling pods, it cost actions. But it still didnt justify puting tataree into my book. Is there something i didnt see or realize?
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Tataree... reasons to play?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 12:17:04 PM »
He's a quick action summon, allowing you to get two summons off in the same turn. He's flying and has a great defense so he's hard to kill unless your opponent blows an unavoidable attack on him. I'm not saying he's good but he has uses. My druid opponent uses him to pull  forcefield tokens from my forcemaster and he's a pain to get rid of.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 12:24:14 PM »
If i use harmonize, its 4 and with enchant ring 3.

Enchant Ring discount only on friendly creatures
Harmonize costs 2 SPs, can be dispelled at range 2
You are putting 2 eggs in 1 basket with an enchant, kill the tree and you lost both

Tataree obviously designed for Samara Tree which (as predicted at previews) hasn't gained favour
So you can move betweem Pods

It's main use is surely as a cheap quick-action guard distractor that can repeat distract if it rolls its great defence?

(I don't play it, just trying to justify its inclusion somehow)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 12:31:39 PM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:46:28 PM »
Tataree is harder to get rid of than harmonize and stacks with harmonize if you really want to boost the plants channelling.

tarkin84

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
In addition to this, it gives you another action marker which is always useful for strategic purposes (it can remove guards or allow your mage to play after your opponent's mage).
My Mage Wars blog (in Spanish): www.gatetovoltari.blogspot.com

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 01:04:55 PM »
And is a mana generator...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 01:05:30 PM »
Just for fun, give it a Bear Strength or Lion Savagrey.. Taratee's attack is Etherial, so with a small buff you can shift gears to destroy incorporeal objects.   Then shift/transfuse the buffs over to something more durable when the opponent gets tired of a butterfly wrecking his stuff.

gw

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 02:01:53 PM »
Seems that everyone is avoiding the elphant in the room : it's a cute butterfly with nice artwork.  8)
OCTGN: gw (GMT+1 currently)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 02:23:52 PM »
If i use harmonize, its 4 and with enchant ring 3.

Enchant Ring discount only on friendly creatures
Harmonize costs 2 SPs, can be dispelled at range 2
You are putting 2 eggs in 1 basket with an enchant, kill the tree and you lost both

Tataree obviously designed for Samara Tree which (as predicted at previews) hasn't gained favour
So you can move betweem Pods

It's main use is surely as a cheap quick-action guard distractor that can repeat distract if it rolls its great defence?

(I don't play it, just trying to justify its inclusion somehow)

As Deckbuilder says, Taratee is designed for a seedling pod strategy. For anything else, she isn't useful. Her purpose is to make seedling pods sprout faster. There is no other way to efficiently make your seedling pods sprout in fewer than 3 turns; harmonize is a waste (because it is destroyed when the seedling pod sprouts), and nothing else will put mana on the pods.

I personally run a Samara Tree/Seedling Pod deck, and I find Taratee to be tremendously helpful in speeding up seedling pod maturation (as always, it isn't about the mana so much as about the actions). But for any other build, Taratee is probably not the best option.

Just for fun, give it a Bear Strength or Lion Savagrey.. Taratee's attack is Etherial, so with a small buff you can shift gears to destroy incorporeal objects.   Then shift/transfuse the buffs over to something more durable when the opponent gets tired of a butterfly wrecking his stuff.

That is a really cool idea - also Bull Endurance (extremely efficient, since life on Taratee is worth more than life on pretty much any other creature) and rhino hide. Regrowth in case an attack gets through - and maybe keep a reverse attack on her... Now I am trying to think of more ways to abuse Taratee's defense. Probably not an optimal strategy, but certainly an extremely amusing one.

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2014, 03:24:05 AM »
In addition to this, it gives you another action marker which is always useful for strategic purposes (it can remove guards or allow your mage to play after your opponent's mage).

This is the main reason I play it for! Otherwise i'd take a mana crystal since its cheaper and generates mana quicker. The action marker helps alot to make sure you got more creatures than your opponent which can prevent many combat tricks or at least make them less damaging.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 08:59:18 AM »

This is the main reason I play it for! Otherwise i'd take a mana crystal since its cheaper and generates mana quicker. The action marker helps alot to make sure you got more creatures than your opponent which can prevent many combat tricks or at least make them less damaging.
As a result it gives another before or after creature for Conjurations....
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

echephron

• Player
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • The finest in mage wear...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2015, 02:04:32 PM »
necro, but its the most relevent thread so here we go.

When is [mwcard=DNC17]Tataree[/mwcard] gonna get erratad to cost 4 mana rather than 6 (psst, never but i havent taken the opportunity to complain yet). its druid only but even druids barely touch it.

hand of bim shala costs 5 for 1(heal, melee, armor anywhere) before next rounds actions
mana flower costs 5 for 1 mana on caster anywhere before next rounds actions
tataree costs 6 for 1(heal in-zone, mana in-zone) after next rounds actions. Since it has a 1 round delay it should cost 1 less than the above spells. That would make it cost 4.  It currently costs 6.

Now you are replying, its only one-two mana, so it doesnt matter, but it is an economy spell which means people put a lot of efficiency planning into it. When people have comparative economy spells, they pick the cheapest option. Imagine if mana crystal cost 6. 90% of the time people would only use mana flowers.

Tataree has unique benefits(gain an action marker, heal conjurations, non zone exclusive channel booster), so maybe people think those are worth 2 mana. I could handle them being worth one mana(making tataree cost 5). Lets talk about harmonize cast on the mage. It costs one more than a mana crystal, yet people are still using it in tournaments and such. It brings something special that the others don't. It can be a hidden enchantment(tricky), its not zone exclusive, its more durable some ways, and it has the versatility of being castable on spawnpoints for cheap.

if tataree was better, samara would get used(or if samara/seedling pods were better tataree would get used). as-is it really doesnt need to be druid only. imagine a beastmaster loading it up with enchantments for attacks :P.

Also I miss you deckbuilder and would have supported your methods were you still around.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2015, 02:06:57 PM by echephron »
  • Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 02:33:05 PM »
in domination it a qc which grants you melee attcks which is enough to take control of orbs..

with that i had good results but nothing else

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2015, 03:00:42 AM »
Is there anything like Akiros Favor for defense?  That would seem to boost Tataree's survivability (well all the squashable familiars and related annoyances that feel really cool but die way to easily (Fellella, Huginn, Sosruko looking at you kids).

Mystery

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2015, 03:22:51 AM »
temple of the dawnbreaker