March 29, 2024, 06:16:44 AM

Author Topic: Who's the hardest Mage to get right?  (Read 25110 times)

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Who's the hardest Mage to get right?
« on: February 11, 2014, 11:53:29 PM »
Noticing that every mage plays differently I was wondering which Mage folks have the most trouble getting going at a functional level? Functional being described as running the way you want it to.

I've been tinkering with a Druid lately and just haven't been able to make her click.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Who's the hardest Mage to get right?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 12:35:19 AM »
Functional being described as running the way you want it to.

Going by that definition I'd have to say my Priest. I want him to be unbeatable and he's just not there yet.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 12:36:52 AM »
He seems like he'd be a tough one to get down. What obstacles are you running into? I've only tried him once and I got slaughtered.
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 02:29:48 AM »
Mostly speed. Honestly I haven't had a chance to actually play in awhile, but I just want him to be faster than he is. I'm currently thinking my opening should be sprinting to center and cast battle forge. Then round two get out a holy avenger knight of westlock. That only leaves me 2 mana (plus one on the forge) to work with. I'm thinking I may deploy enchanter's ring and cast something on either myself or the knight. Bear strength on me mage goes a long way before I can get my staff out. Or cheetah speed to get in my opponent's face.

I seem to run into the most trouble though when my opponent is able to get a lot out on the board. So applying pressure early and often is my goal before they can get an advantage.

To be honest, I don't really understand the concept of tempo very well, but I think that is where I struggle. I don't think the holy school is very good at generating tempo while applying pressure.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 02:38:14 AM »
Tempo is something I had a bit of trouble grasping for a bit too. Couple of things made me notice it though so that's at least a start:

1. Towards the end tail end of a long fought fight against a Wizard with my Beast Master my opponent put down Mana Siphon dead in the center of the board. Threw me totally off and led to a VERY narrow victory on their part. I was super impressed.

2. Again late in the game against a hyper aggressive Warlord while using my Priestess. I'm nearly out of it and so is my opponent but he's in a better position than me. I sacrifice a Grey Angel and heal for 9 damage! The entire game turns on a dime as suddenly I'm on offense and I win the match.

The problem I'm having with the Druid is I end up nearly soloing the battle as my creatures either get taken out or I don't summon them to begin with as I'm too aggressive. I can't do anything against a turtling team. I'm getting better with the Druid, I think it's really a cool character but it comes down to timing and that has to be perfect.

I'm getting pretty good with the Priestess lately. I'm finding that getting out the holy spawn point early is the way to go for me. I Harmonize it and as soon as I can I give it an Asyrian Cleric. That way I'm able to get out nasty creatures at a fairly decent pace.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 02:48:03 AM »

The problem I'm having with the Druid is I end up nearly soloing the battle as my creatures either get taken out or I don't summon them to begin with as I'm too aggressive. I can't do anything against a turtling team. I'm getting better with the Druid, I think it's really a cool character but it comes down to timing and that has to be perfect.

The key to the druid is learning when to switch gears She is one of the most modal mages you can build and  play but the only way to be good with her is to learn when each play style is best for her., and when to change modes between attack and defense. This can only be obtained through lots of practice.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 02:49:50 AM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 03:15:43 AM »

The key to the druid is learning when to switch gears She is one of the most modal mages you can build and  play but the only way to be good with her is to learn when each play style is best for her., and when to change modes between attack and defense. This can only be obtained through lots of practice.

Yeah that's kind of how I feel about her. I'm just going to have to really really study her and get the timing down. I suspect that if I can get it down then the sudden change of pace may throw my opponent off. I nearly won with her once but then my opponent literally rolled 12 damage on 6 dice.....but anyway I see Acid Ball and Surging Wave being friends of hers. Also the Dissolve game she basically auto wins in that she has a built in suit of armor and Regrowth Belt on a cantrip. I'm really digging playing her, very fun mage to play.

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 04:52:23 PM »
It took me 3 different spell book builds with the druid before I got it how I wanted it to play. I normally find spend 2 rounds prepping, dropping mana crystals, lairs, ect. then by round 3 you should be able to cast a high lvl spell or big creature.

Or you can do what my warlock build does and mana starve yourself round 1 so round 2 you can bring at adramalech.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 02:51:36 AM »
Hardest mage to get working? Warlord.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 07:05:56 AM »
Not to say she's the hardest, but ever since my group has gotten DvN I've found the forcemaster difficult to get working. Quickly built zombie swarms with infinite armor and thornlasher assembly lines can both be difficult for a creature-light mage to deal with.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Who's the hardest Mage to get right?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 11:59:17 AM »
That's why you don't deal with them unless you really have to, and go for the enemy mage. Forcemaster is one of the most aggro mages in the game, but she plays very differently from all the mages except for the warlock and Malakai priest, and even then she's quite unique. Most zombies have pest or lumbering, so if you pack a cheetah speed they might find it difficult to catch you when they need to most.

As for the Druid, you need to move across the board to her zone as soon as you can, or she'll start hindering you with vine markers that elusive won't help you with. Alternatively, you can rely on Thoughtspore to move you around, but that means you need to be able to cope and recover well from the death of a Thoughtspore. That might be tricky, but I'm sure it's quite doable.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Marhem

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 09:42:04 PM »
With the forcemaster against zombies, take a couple thought spores, give them forcebash and push zombies away. As for the hardest, I would say that the warlord is because EVERYTHING is expensive and my opponent attacks right away. My easiest is the wizard, with rock training

barriecritzer

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:52:49 AM »
I am having trouble making a warlord build that I like.

flamespeak

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 01:38:07 AM »
Forcemaster is pretty easy, just plop down one piece of decent equipment or a mana crystal each turn while sticking back. When you are ready to move? Teleport right into the opponent mage's zone for a quick cast action and then beat them silly. Work a ridiculous number of times to be honest. A couple of walls hinders it greatly if you wait too long.

Throwing down a watch tower in one of the corners and then a few walls to block yourself off to build up defensive creatures, and spam long distance attacks is a great tactic not many can counter too, but if both are turtling it makes the game kind of endless.

The hardest mage for me though was playing as the Warlord the way the expansion recommended I play with him. It is darn near unwinnable to play that way, it is really easy to win with him a lot of the time by simply summoning up some higher cost stuff like a couple of iron golems and then walking across the map with your crew and beating the opponent down with the Warlord throwing down some buffs and swinging his big ol' hammer of hurt.

Forged in Fire's new Warlord seems to bring a much better mix to the table, but I just got the expansion yesterday so I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet to know for sure.

Battlehamster

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 05:27:18 AM »
Forcemaster is pretty easy, just plop down one piece of decent equipment or a mana crystal each turn while sticking back. When you are ready to move? Teleport right into the opponent mage's zone for a quick cast action and then beat them silly. Work a ridiculous number of times to be honest. A couple of walls hinders it greatly if you wait too long.

Speaking as a lover of the Forcemaster, this is probably the worst thing you can do. You want to be in the opponents face ASAP, not hang back. Forcemaster is all about Speed, speed and more speed. Perhaps you are using teleport wrong since you can only teleport 2 zones away from your current location, not anywhere you want. If I saw you hanging back as the forcemaster, I would jump for joy, hang back as well and spam creatures, build up my defenses and now wait for you to enter the gauntlet or just send my creatures to finish you off in your "base". I am really interested to know who you are playing (class-wise) that this works against.