May 01, 2024, 08:34:44 PM

Author Topic: Please change the 60 day thread-killing rule!  (Read 4669 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Please change the 60 day thread-killing rule!
« on: February 05, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
I wrote the beginning of a fanfiction series called "Etheria: Axis Powers—the Dawnlight Compact" over 60 days ago. I worked pretty hard on it, and it has now been viewed over 100 times. But I have received 0 reviews for it and the rules forbid anyone from reviewing now that sixty days have passed.

Furthermore, I have seen multiple threads that were supposed to be dead get reanimated for good, useful and valuable reasons that IMO have benefitted this forum and perhaps the game itself.

I personally don't like that people cannot review or comment on my creative endeavors on this site, including my story writing after 60 days. Most authors, regardless of whether they write derivative or non-derivative works, don't have a time limit for reviews like that.

And there are likely many other thread discussions that will stay relevant, interesting, and impactful for a very long time after they are first started.

For a while when I was in high school we had a newspaper committee, and there I learned that news pieces can be classified by their impact and relevance, and that stories that never stopped being relevant were referred to as "evergreens".

I think when evaluating whether I thread is supposed to be dead or not, we need to check if it still has enough relevance and impact to be worth commenting on, and whether there's really anything new left to say on it. However, that varies by topic, and it cannot be adequately measured by a an arbitrary 60 day time limit.

Please change the thread killing rule. I would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Please change the 60 day thread-killing rule!
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 07:50:29 PM »
I am not sure what "thread killing" rule you are referring to.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 08:06:55 PM »
I've certainly revived threads over 60 days old.  It posts a little warning about it, but there is nothing stopping anyone from posting so far as my experience goes.
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 08:35:14 PM »
I'm confused. What do you mean you don't know what thread killing rule I'm referring to? Am I missing something here?

People have talked about "necro'ing" threads and how it is not allowed. I've seen people told off for it. But I think some threads that are automatically assumed dead after a certain amount of time without new posts, might not actually be dead but just be hibernating for the winter. The relevance and impact of some topics and threads come and go, and they vary greatly between threads and topics, so I don't think a universal arbitrary time limit is the right way to go here.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »
I've been reviewing the terms of use, code of conduct, and general forum guidelines, and while I may have missed something I can not find any hard rule involving posting to an older topic. There is no 60 day rule of which you speak.

With that said, I think it has become general internet etiquette that reviving an old discussion, aka necroing it, is taboo. There are of course exceptions, but I believe under normal circumstances on any web site if you necro a thread without good reason you will be somewhat ridiculed.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 09:46:24 PM »
Oh. I misunderstood then. I'll have to find time to refresh myself on the rules again at some point soon. Thank you for clarifying that.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 12:06:30 AM »
That said, I don't think there should ever be any issue with "necro'ing" stories.

It never really goes out of date or anything.. someone might just read it later and have a thought.

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:55:55 AM »
I'm confused. What do you mean you don't know what thread killing rule I'm referring to? Am I missing something here?

There is a warning that the system will pop up when you attempt to reply to a post that is more than 60 days old. You can still reply. Nothing stops anyone from reposting to an old thread and no threads are deleted.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.