April 29, 2024, 12:58:22 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Delayed Cantrip Variant  (Read 10197 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Delayed Cantrip Variant
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2014, 11:14:43 PM »
These imbalances in the design of mages (like Jokhtari and Warlock) is why I'm a firm believer that

Earth Wizard + 4 Iron Golems + 4 Devouring Jelly + 4 Mage Wands + 4 Teleports

is the current strongest build out there

And if only teleport were nerfed so that it could not target enemy mages, then this build would not be near as dominating as it is. It might even nip this build's OPness in the bud...

And the issue here isn't power balance, or what the outcome of the game is. It's the fact that both players found it more advantageous to not take much advantage of the many strategies they had available which they designed their spellbook with.

I think the way they tried to win and the way you would have done it Deckbuilder might be two of if not THE two dominating strategies in this format.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 04:28:04 AM »
I think the way they tried to win and the way you would have done it Deckbuilder might be two of if not THE two dominating strategies in this format.

I completely agree, Imaginator.
This version of "Mage Wars on Steroids" demonstrates the 2 polarised strategies.

Glad to try it out but I have to respectfully disagree about the Warlock Necromancer build. I generally win against Necromancers with my Warlock. Mage Bane, Chains of Agony, Agony, and Enfeeble work just fine on the mage itself. Cheetah Speed + Mongoose Agility means I'll avoid their attackers a lot of the time. Put enough Fireballs/Flame Blasts in your book with an Elemental Wand(and hey a Force Hammer) and you get a speedy little range fighter who can destroy Constructs easily and get around the board where you need to be. The "Run n Gun Warlock" works fairly well in my experience so far though I'm drooling over Forged in Fire obviously. Take down the Necromancers Cloak of Shadows and he's wide open. Not enough Necromancers put enough offense from the Mages stand point in my view so far. They rely on their minions which are damaged by Fire Walls, Fire Traps, and avoided otherwise.

Play Fire Wizard, my friend, play Fire Wizard if you want to play a ranged fire guerilla
No need for Buffs or Curses that can be Purged in 1 QC, just Teleport Wand if needed
Watch as any swarm freezes to Suppression Orb/Cloak then self-destructs to Obelisk
Turn the screw with Siphon, Wardstones on your Transfused stack of negative enchants
Laugh as your 6 Armour + Belt bounces most attacks, critical spikes absorbed by Shield
Your Tower changing spell to burn plants, slam Intercept, corrode armour, push away foes
Front line Devouring Jellies reconstructing as they clean the arena of corporeal creatures
Fire Wizard is all you need to unleash the inner pyromaniac within you...

Actually don't try Wizard, my friend, try all the others first, you'll get more out of the game
"Once you've had Wiz, you no never go back": a taste of honey is worse than none at all

Playing Warlock Guerrila over Fire Wizard is like playing Golem Charge Warlord over Earth Wizard
It IS more fun playing the non-Wizard - but the efficiency geek in me can't help notice it is suboptimal
Because the mage card buys no relevant ability, Wiz is 1 more Channel for 4-6 less Life, I'll take that
Then we come to the spell point bonanza that is Arcane (Water Wizard may even fill all 80 book slots)
It has all been discussed ad nauseam, most recently in relative new player Sylex's damning appraisal

I so envy the unadulterated joy you get from the game, Silverclaw, your enthusiastic posts
Makes me feel so jaded and cynical: so don't listen to me, just continue to have great fun!
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
Ah I've logged on for 2 minutes and already the ever present cry of "Wizard is Superman!" fills my ears hehehehe. I'll have to try it if for no other reason than to learn how to defeat it with other mages.

Wanna know the kick in the teeth? I can't make a Wizard. Literally can not. We had a "Mage Wars Day" at a buddies house the other week and there were I dunno 8 folks there. Now at the time our group only had 4 people with core sets so we let others make mages out of our stuff. A friend asked to make the Wizard from my cards and I said "Sure buddy why not!" So he takes one of my Elemental Wands, one of my Mage Wands, EVERY SINGLE lightning card I own, and makes the Wizard(using another friends empty book.)

Then after we're done he takes it home with him so nobody will mess up "his" deck. There's a nation wide man hunt for me now due to his brutal and lets face it way too drawn out murder so if any of you guys know of some good ways to smuggle myself to Brazil.....

• Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 01:05:03 PM »
You shouldn't have let him take your cards if you didn't want him to. Instead you should have insisted that he write down his decklist so that he can assemble it again the next time he sees you.

What it sounds like is that he pressured you to let him keep your cards, and you caved into the pressure. That sounds sort of like stealing to be honest.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:07:01 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 01:19:33 PM »
You shouldn't have let him take your cards if you didn't want him to. Instead you should have insisted that he write down his decklist so that he can assemble it again the next time he sees you.

What it sounds like is that he pressured you to let him keep your cards, and you caved into the pressure. That sounds sort of like stealing to be honest.

Except I didn't know he was going to take the cards. He didn't ask if he could take them home with him. In the confusion of cleaning up 4 core games with markers, dice, cards, etc he just slipped it in his book bag. He also didn't ask to use my buddies empty book, I thought he'd used one of mine. He asked if he could make a book, just like a few others did, only they gave theirs back at the end.

There are now seven of us with core sets, he's not one of them, so this issue won't be happening so much in the future. I date one of his roommates and will be getting my book back soon enough.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.