April 19, 2024, 07:59:26 PM

Author Topic: A few suggestions  (Read 12940 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: A few suggestions
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
I actually prefer the johktari abilities over the straywood for the most part. Being fast is amazing and wounded prey can be awesome damage boost. The place she slips in my opinion is with the ranged bonus. To start with, it doesn't synergize with her fast trait since all bows require a full action to use. It also doesn't improve attack spells. Plus, your opponent is most likely going to try to keep most of his threat in your face as few builds are primarily ranged.

A bow with a quick attack would help her more than anything else.

Drac

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2014, 05:02:43 PM »
I actually prefer the johktari abilities over the straywood for the most part. Being fast is amazing and wounded prey can be awesome damage boost. The place she slips in my opinion is with the ranged bonus. To start with, it doesn't synergize with her fast trait since all bows require a full action to use. It also doesn't improve attack spells. Plus, your opponent is most likely going to try to keep most of his threat in your face as few builds are primarily ranged.

A bow with a quick attack would help her more than anything else.

That is the obvious answer, however... I feel that it is likely a little over the top.  Being able to move twice and shoot for 1-2 more range with an extra damage boost just feels cheesy for a 0 mana per turn investment (and then throwing that attack spell right after for even more).  At least making a one handed ranged weapon would be a decent compromise though as it allows wands.

edit... In fact, the quick action ranged attack would make it far too easy to kite while still applying pressure.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:04:24 PM by Drac »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
I kinda think kiting could be her niche. A highly mobile opponent would provide a unique challenge, but I think it could be balanced. The bow obviously would need toned down a bit. Only dealing one or two dice of damage and perhaps limited to a range of 1-1. It may still have a second more powerful full action attack though.

Drac

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »
I had actually discussed this very thing with a friend of mine.  We came to similar conclusions about not more than 2 damage and not further than range 1 for the benefit of a quick action ranged attack.  Even then, it is still mildly worrisome with things like enfeeble and thornlasher to spurn the advance of the opponent.

If the weapon still has a full action attack that does 4+ dice of damage, the overall utility in her hands would likely still become a bit much as she kites away.  This creates a bad situation when enfeeble is up.  Do I chase and forfeit my action to avoid being blasted?  Or do I work on the creatures and take the bigger bow shot?

It could probably be made to work, but I am cautious of the suggestion.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 03:19:33 AM »
Enfeeble "only" makes johktari normal speed. So she can still move 1 and take a quick action when enfeebled.

Drac

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 04:15:03 AM »
I was referring to the spell used the other direction.

Alexander West

• Falconer
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »

I like it, but ethereal is not needed imo.  The spell is interesting though, because with the nature school... it is difficult with the usual johktari lineup to get more than 4 base dice with it other than via a bear.  Care would be needed with the wording to make sure that any melee+ bonuses on the creature are not included in X, and it would almost certainly be friendly animal.

Going on that criteria, without any effect at all (or even along the lines of 8+ daze) the spell would probably cost about 5 mana.  A good effect would raise it to 6.  Conservatively, I'd say 6 with a good but not stellar effect to allow expansion of the animals past it's current limit of 5.  It's interesting in that it properly rewards the beastmaster for playing thematically.

All in all, minor critiques from me... but I love the card.

Glad you love the idea.  I thought it seemed pretty flavorful!  :)

As far as Ethereal, the spell doesn't *need* it, but this game is all about flavor.  Almost everything incorporeal is a spirit of some kind, so it would make sense to give the spell Ethereal because spirits should fight spirits just fine!  (FWIW Every incorporeal creature printed so far has Ethereal.)

I was intentionally leaving the casting cost as an X.  From what I've seen, about 1 EV damage = 1 mana cost.  (Hurl Rock is aberrant.)  So, with just Ethereal, I bet the cost could just be straight up X, where X is the damage it deals.  (Since it makes the player work slightly harder to have an animal.)

Agree that the target should probably be Nature creature and not non-Mage creature.
"He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not is a fool for a lifetime."

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2014, 01:48:14 PM »

A "weapon" with a quick attack would help her more than anything else.

8) Move along folks nothing to see here
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2014, 04:53:39 PM »
... maybe a blowgun? It's so wild guerrilla-wise...!  ::)

CYA
G.