April 24, 2024, 08:11:25 PM

Author Topic: I played a Priestess and...  (Read 12245 times)

Dragonsborn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Alea iacta est.
    • View Profile
I played a Priestess and...
« on: January 24, 2014, 10:59:10 AM »
So, I played one of my first games with a priestess deck. I made quiet a nice deck, with a lot of temples. Every one I had, 3 Bim-Shalla's, ToL, Temple of the dawnbreaker and Temple of Asyra. I played against a beastmaster deck. My deck was OP, I won every time. But apparently the temples changed, and now my deck is useless. My entire strategie was about the temples. I just played Brogan and buffed him. But now that everything changed about the temples, I can't use it anymore. Does anyone have any idea why the temples have changed? I got a nice deck wich is completely ruined now.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: I played a Priestess and...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:28:17 PM »
Amen brother!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:39:11 PM »
The Temple of Light and the hand of Bim-Shalla were nerfed because there was an OP strategy that involved summoning 4-6 Hands and the Temple. Every turn the Priestess would swing for 3+X dice (with no equipment or enchantments) and the Temple would hit something for 1+X dice with a 1/6 chance to stun and a (3+X)/12 chance to daze.

It was very hard to beat (the equivalent of Earth/Water Wizard now, except even more OP), and the devs said it wasn't WAI. So they gave a reasonable nerf to the Hand and then beat the Temple with the nerf bat so badly that almost no one even remembers the card exists anymore.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:58 PM »
The Temple of Light and the hand of Bim-Shalla were nerfed because there was an OP strategy that involved summoning 4-6 Hands and the Temple. Every turn the Priestess would swing for 3+X dice (with no equipment or enchantments) and the Temple would hit something for 1+X dice with a 1/6 chance to stun and a (3+X)/12 chance to daze.

It was very hard to beat (the equivalent of Earth/Water Wizard now, except even more OP), and the devs said it wasn't WAI. So they gave a reasonable nerf to the Hand and then beat the Temple with the nerf bat so badly that almost no one even remembers the card exists anymore.

Do not forget about the OP Battle Fury builds doing (10 + 10 +3) on turn 4 or the FM turn 5 (12 + 4 + 12 + 3) that is 46-61 DMG Max before turn 6

I could one shot Earth Elements if they got in the way because it was almost no loss of tempo

« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 06:27:03 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »

Do not forget about the OP Battle Fury builds doing (10 + 10 +3) on turn 4 or the FM turn 5 (12 + 4 + 12 + 3) that is 46-61 DMG Max before turn 6

I you to one shot Earth Elements if they got in the way because it was almost no loss of tempo

Yeah, Battlefury definitely  needed a nerf.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 01:11:27 AM »
Priestess is still competitive post nerf. You may have been brought down a peg, which your opponents will appreciate, but that doesn't mean you aren't still a force to be reckoned with. Rebuild your book and crush them before they get any ideas of you possibly being weak.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 02:42:40 AM »
Three points:

1) The original post was a little weird actually.  He admits his deck was OP, that he "won every time", and then complains that the changes ruined his build.  If he was asking why, he provided his own answer.  Does he want the changes revoked so he can go back to winning all the time...?  I'm not sure what the point of the post was.

2) I like the changes to the Hand and Battle Fury.  The Temple of Light nerf was as absurdly over the top as the Wizard's Tower is absurdly overpowered.  It is now an almost completely unplayable card as a result.  Clearly, a mistake was made and until AW does something to correct that mistake, it will remain unplayed.

3) Despite the nerfs, the Priestess is still an entirely viable mage to play and win with.  She's my second-favourite actually (after the Beastmaster).  She's just not overpowered any more.  (The Wizard has that role now, though not to quite such an extreme.)

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 03:22:08 AM »
I still use Temple of Light. 

With just itself and a Hand of Bim Shalla on the table, its 2 mana for an extra attack action every round.  Thats not a terrible deal, especially since if that target is non living its 4 dice and a solid daze/stun chance.  Its also one more tool for shooting flying creatures, with a chance for stun which makes them lose flying.  Forcing an opponents attack to miss due to a daze is really nice, and its even better when it didn't require an out of pocket action to do.

even just 2 dice+daze/stun for 2 mana is solid.  Casting Pillar of Light runs you 5 mana for the same damage (but grants a better daze chance).   So, paying 2 and trading down the effect chance for action-free use is a good deal to me.

I mean, it used to be way stronger than it is..and I feel like it got more alteration than it needed (when combined with Hand's change) but I still find it worth running.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 11:30:24 AM »
Baron, at the risk of derailing this thread, it seems to me like you're not factoring in the Temple's casting cost.  It's not two mana for a two-dice attack, it's eleven mana for that attack.  And then thirteen mana for two attacks.  Only at three attacks does the Temple break even with Pillar of Light, at fifteen mana.  Finally, once it's used four times, with seventeen mana invested into it, it's finally starting to come out ahead of Pillar.  And that doesn't even take into consideration that Pillar of Light is a rather poor attack spell in the first place, that Pillar of Light still has a better Daze/Stun chance, that the Temple is locked in place and can be attacked, and that it needs to have another temple card in play already to even get that second die of attack.

I stand by my previous statements: the Temple of Light would have been fine if AW had just removed "adding X to the effect die roll" from the original text.  As things stand, it is a Hell's Gate card, largely useless now.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:38:23 AM by IndyPendant »

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 11:58:02 AM »
i agree with Indy that they (AW) nerfed ToL too much, especially if we compare it to Wizard's Tower.

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 04:25:06 AM »
Maybe paying always 1 mana instead of X could be better...

Jmho,

G.

Dragonsborn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • Alea iacta est.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 07:23:45 AM »
Yeah, I agree that the ToL had to be changed, but not so much!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 05:10:44 PM »

With just itself and a Hand of Bim Shalla on the table, its 2 mana for an extra attack action every round.  Thats not a terrible deal, especially since if that target is non living its 4 dice and a solid daze/stun chance.  Its also one more tool for shooting flying creatures, with a chance for stun which makes them lose flying.  Forcing an opponents attack to miss due to a daze is really nice, and its even better when it didn't require an out of pocket action to do.

even just 2 dice+daze/stun for 2 mana is solid.  Casting Pillar of Light runs you 5 mana for the same damage (but grants a better daze chance).   So, paying 2 and trading down the effect chance for action-free use is a good deal to me.

I mean, it used to be way stronger than it is..and I feel like it got more alteration than it needed (when combined with Hand's change) but I still find it worth running.

The reason the mana got added to ToL was a build of mine post nerf. It was still in talks for the rules team and I told the rest about it. (My vote was 1 mana per 2 temps rounded up). Hint: More temples in testing files ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 05:13:12 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:16 PM »

The reason the mana got added to ToL was a build of mine post nerf. It was still in talks for the rules team and I told the rest about it. (My vote was 1 mana per 2 temps rounded up). Hint: More temples in testing files ;)

So it's your fault!

:P

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »
It is better than having it abused again post nerf