April 30, 2024, 11:08:25 PM

Author Topic: Full Spellbooks  (Read 4337 times)

Auburn78

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Full Spellbooks
« on: January 21, 2014, 06:01:23 PM »
OK so I'm new to the game but I love it.  I received 2 extra spellbooks and I am wondering what is the best way to have all 4 mages with complete playable spellbooks at the same time.   Should I invest in another core set or get a couple of the core spell tomes.  I don't need multiples of every spell in the game,  but would like to be able to just grab a spellbook and be ready to play.   Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:53:53 PM by Auburn78 »

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Full Spellbooks
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 11:24:03 AM »
If you're fine with having some cards as proxies then it isn't a big deal.

Though if you want actual cards, I think Shadow said a couple months ago that 2x Core Tome 1 and 1x Core Tome 2 would give you more cards than another base said for approximately the same cost.

Auburn78

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 11:37:28 AM »
Im not really worried about the cost, more interested in which would give me the best selection.   The idea of a 2nd game board would be nice if I could get a big enough group. 

silverclawgrizzly

• Charlotte Mage Warrior
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 12:25:04 PM »
I recommend another core set. You get the cards and you get another map, rule book, counters, spell books etc. My friends and I are currently building a large play group up here in Charlotte and extras of those things are invaluable!
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster
What we must all remember is no matter the game we were all newbies at one point.

Auburn78

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:51:21 PM »
I'll be honest. .. the Force Mage looks like a blast.  Might even get one of those when I make my order.  Do those expansions come with just enough to play or are there additional cards thrown in as well.  Most likely to buy it either way.   She seems ridiculously powerful.

And I agree on the core set value.   If I had a larger playgroup (gawd I wish) this would be an automatic. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 02:53:21 PM by Auburn78 »

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 03:13:31 PM »
I'll be honest. .. the Force Mage looks like a blast.  Might even get one of those when I make my order.  Do those expansions come with just enough to play or are there additional cards thrown in as well.  Most likely to buy it either way.   She seems ridiculously powerful.

And I agree on the core set value.   If I had a larger playgroup (gawd I wish) this would be an automatic.

What you need to know about the FM is she is the most aggro heavy mage. She favors Solo \ 1-2 buddies you get in the other mages zone and keep the pressure on.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Auburn78

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 04:45:28 PM »
Yah shes not for big group play.   Kinda wish it had been FM vs Necro, as those both seem intriguing to me.  I love the idea of casting poison cloud by the necro.  Plus. ..zombies....nuff said.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 08:44:36 PM »
The FM is a ton of fun to play. And I wouldn't say she's overpowered, although most people will lose to her the first few times they play because her playstyle is so aggressive. Certainly she's considered inferior to an earth wizard build, which includes a core set mage and a lot of cards that come in the FM v WL set.

I'd recommend the second base set. It's a little more expensive, but the second board, the extra dice, and the extra spellbooks are worth it in my opinion. Also you'll have enough status boards and counters to play 4 player if you want.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 06:03:43 AM »
I've read several comparisons and looked at it myself and my conclusions are that getting two copies of spell tome one and one copy of spell tome two will give you the best distribution of spells. However for the same price you could get an additional core set which provides almost as good of a distribution and provides you with an additional board, spell books, markers, and tokens. Thus I consider the extra core to be the better buy but if all you want is the extra spells you will get a better distribution in my opinion with the tomes.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »
When I first started Mage Wars, I purchased two Core Sets and a Spell Tome 1.  This provided me with *more* than enough cards to create four viable spellbooks.   I too would strongly recommend two Core Sets before you purchase any Spell Tomes.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 07:48:08 PM »
I first started with on core set and have been with it since the beginning. 2 core 1 2 core 2 and then 2 of FM vs WL, 2 COK, ANOTHER CORE SET, (because at this time I needed another board), the extra action markers and spellbook pack 2,(because purple is my favorite color) and then 1 druid vs necro. About to buy another set when some else wants to play druid or necro mage.

My suggestion is proxies. Convince others and flgs to start organized play. Borrow unused copy from someone else's play set.