April 19, 2024, 04:45:04 PM

Author Topic: About warlord only card  (Read 11360 times)

timer000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
About warlord only card
« on: January 20, 2014, 03:16:54 AM »
In the new promo card~
there is a new warlord weapon~

Heart of Gravitor   lv3
10 mana
quick ation: 4 attack dices ,+2 vs conjuction
full action:0-1 range   3 attack dices,8+slam

This weapon is better than war slege.
But in my opion, this weapon is still very weak.

Another promo card:
vorpal blade is much good!

vorpal blade  lv1
5 mana
quick ation: 4 attack dices ,+2 piecring

It has lower mana and lower spell point.
Most important! ~  When attacking conjuction, "+2 piecring" is better than  "+2 vs conjuction"" in most situation.

In future, if there is a simillar weapon has 4 attack dice & 1 piecring with 5 mana cost . i think it is still better than Heart of Gravitor

Another suggestion:
About Akiro's Battle Cry
If I have 3 soldier, this card only give me most 6 addition attack dices bonus.

In better situtation,  I have 4 soldier, this card only give me most 8 addition attack dices bonus.

(In really situtation, it will give me 2-6 dices attack dices bonus because enemy creatures will hinder my soldier's fast &charge ability.)

14 mana for  8 attack dices   (Akiro's Battle Cry )
 8 mana for 7 attack dices and wont be limited by soldiers number ( Earth attack spell)

And it is lucky that  "Akiro's Battle Cry"  have 6 attack dices bonus with 4 soldiers .

I think  "Akiro's Battle Cry" is really very hard hard to use!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 06:20:05 AM by timer000 »

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: About warlord only card
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 01:58:27 PM »
1. Heart of Gravikor is "War Mage Only", not "Warlord Only". Any future mages that are trained in at least War 2 will be able to use it.

2. +2 Dice > +2 Piercing, always. /mathfail

3. Comparing Heart of Gravikor to Vorpal Blade is like comparing apples to oranges. Vorpal Blade is meant to deal damage, while Heart of Gravikor is a support weapon. It's great at destroying troublesome conjurations, but the main draw of the weapon is the 0-1 Ranged 8+ Slam attack.

4. You didn't actually offer any suggestions. Everyone already knows that Akiro's Battle Cry is a horrible, horrible card that will never see play.

svvcDark

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 06:28:14 PM »
Both weapons are good, but they are used differently. If I'm just going to run up and stand on the enemy with a beatdown I'd use the Vorpal Blade, but if I want to do a more support oriented Warlord I'm going Heart of Gravitor all the way. As pointed out, the ranged slam attack is the main appeal, but it also means I can run around smashing down those pesky Wizard's Towers and Battle Forges with, on average, one attack and a Piercing Strike.

And while not the greatest card, Akiro's Battle Cry certainly has it's uses. Try coupling it with Force Wave to clear a path for your charging soldiers. But you're right, it is a hard card to use effectively. The high mana cost means that it's definitely not a spell that you just whip out, but rather something that you plan for, setting up your pieces in the most optimal position before throwing it out.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 11:03:09 PM »
+2 dice is not always better. against 2 and 3 armor targets they are at worst equal. Also with any of the cards that grant multiple strikes (double strike,etc) the piercing  will be better against targets with an armor value close to the p+ number.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 12:19:06 AM »
+2 dice is not always better. against 2 and 3 armor targets they are at worst equal. Also with any of the cards that grant multiple strikes (double strike,etc) the piercing  will be better against targets with an armor value close to the p+ number.

*Sigh.*

Average damage for a 4-die/2-pierce attack is ~4.00 against 2 armour and ~3.20 against 3. Average damage for a 6-die attack is ~4.31 against 2 armour and ~3.74 against 3 armour. I assume you can see that 4.31 > 4.00 and 3.74 > 3.20

The only cards that would give a creature "multistrike" right now are Battle Fury and Whirling Strike, the latter one seeing hardly any use. However, those are only relevant when you're talking about enchantments or equipment that give either a piercing +X or melee +X benefit that persists through multiple attacks in the same action. There are exactly two cards that do this: Lion Savagery and Vorpal Blade (neither of which are currently in the game). That one case doesn't make piercing better than extra dice in general.

Where the heck did this ridiculous idea that piercing is equal to or better than extra dice come from? It's just basic math for ****'s sake!

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »

*Sigh.*

Average damage for a 4-die/2-pierce attack is ~4.00 against 2 armour and ~3.20 against 3. Average damage for a 6-die attack is ~4.31 against 2 armour and ~3.74 against 3 armour. I assume you can see that 4.31 > 4.00 and 3.74 > 3.20

The only cards that would give a creature "multistrike" right now are Battle Fury and Whirling Strike, the latter one seeing hardly any use. However, those are only relevant when you're talking about enchantments or equipment that give either a piercing +X or melee +X benefit that persists through multiple attacks in the same action. There are exactly two cards that do this: Lion Savagery and Vorpal Blade (neither of which are currently in the game). That one case doesn't make piercing better than extra dice in general.

Where the heck did this ridiculous idea that piercing is equal to or better than extra dice come from? It's just basic math for ****'s sake!

Not that it has any bearing on your point, but Sacrificial Altar also gives Piercing until the end of the round.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:12:20 AM »
Not that it has any bearing on your point, but Sacrificial Altar also gives Piercing until the end of the round.

Opps, missed that one. Thanks. I keep forgetting that card exists.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 01:49:18 AM »

*Sigh.*

You were talking in extremes, extremes are rarely true.   Even if there is only a single instance that it is at least equal your statement is incorrect, and extremly condescending to say the least. In the current set of 6d6 against 4d6 p+2 there are many instances that is is equal, because in game we deal with whole numbers. How many attacks will it take for each to kill a 2 armor character with 8 HP on average? Would you agree that both are two. I don't have a PhD in math, but I am pretty sure 2=2. There is a whole host of 2 armor and X HP combinations that it will take the same number of strikes to kill the target. In your statment you were not talking about what was available because of your use of "always." That is all encompassing. If you use such a term you must account for all posibilities or be prepared to get questioned.

In sets of +x dice against +x piercing the average results will overlap a great deal just because of significant figures. This alone removes "always."

I was mainly showing my contemp for your stament of "always" and the condescending  /failmath

Hedge

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2014, 02:21:03 AM »
You were talking in extremes, extremes are rarely true. Even if there is only a single instance that it is at least equal your statement is incorrect, and extremly condescending to say the least. In the current set of 6d6 against 4d6 p+2 there are many instances that is is equal, because in game we deal with whole numbers. How many attacks will it take for each to kill a 2 armor character with 8 HP on average? Would you agree that both are two. I don't have a PhD in math, but I am pretty sure 2=2. There is a whole host of 2 armor and X HP combinations that it will take the same number of strikes to kill the target. In your statment you were not talking about what was available because of your use of "always." That is all encompassing. If you use such a term you must account for all posibilities or be prepared to get questioned.

What makes extra dice superior is that, given some number of rounds, giving an attack extra dice has a higher probability of killing the target than giving it an equal amount of piercing. The fact that occasionally they will roll the same damage after armour is irrelevant.

I was mainly showing my contemp for your stament of "always" and the condescending  /failmath

Actually it was /mathfail, but I can see how you'd be confused.

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2014, 02:29:54 AM »
You were talking in extremes, extremes are rarely true. Even if there is only a single instance that it is at least equal your statement is incorrect, and extremly condescending to say the least. In the current set of 6d6 against 4d6 p+2 there are many instances that is is equal, because in game we deal with whole numbers. How many attacks will it take for each to kill a 2 armor character with 8 HP on average? Would you agree that both are two. I don't have a PhD in math, but I am pretty sure 2=2. There is a whole host of 2 armor and X HP combinations that it will take the same number of strikes to kill the target. In your statment you were not talking about what was available because of your use of "always." That is all encompassing. If you use such a term you must account for all posibilities or be prepared to get questioned.

What makes extra dice superior is that, given some number of rounds, giving an attack extra dice has a higher probability of killing the target than giving it an equal amount of piercing. The fact that occasionally they will roll the same damage after armour is irrelevant.

Actually it was /mathfail, but I can see how you'd be confused.

Occasionally excludes Always from being appropriate. I do not deny that over the course of a game it is better, But that is not always.

Why do you feel the need to insult me?  Is your argument so weak that you must resort to such base behavior?

Hedge
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:35:26 AM by Hedge »

timer000

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2014, 02:35:03 AM »
To Aylin:

If we dont consider "battle fury" & stable injuries ,you are right.
"+2 vs conjuction"  is good than "+2 pierce" in math.

But the key point is the sitution which fit "+2 vs conjuction"  is very less.

In most cases,"+2 pierce " is much powerful than "+2 conjuction",when facing creatures &mages .

I think the only  good  of "Heart of Gravitor"  is the 3 attack dices range attack.

But i still considered this range ability is useless.and vorpal blade has lower mana cost & LV1,
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:45:30 AM by timer000 »

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2014, 02:52:44 AM »
To Aylin:
If we dont consider "battle fury",you are right.
"+2 vs conjuction"  is good than "+2 pierce".

No, considering Battle Fury is fine, as long as you also consider Dispel, Dissolve, Acid Ball, and the fact that the extra piercing might be completely wasted (such as against a zombie).

But the key point is the sitution which fit "+2 vs conjuction"  is very less.

Yes, +2 Piercing will be relevant more often than +2 vs. Conjurations. However, I was responding to your claim that against conjurations that the piercing was better.

I think the focal point of "Heart of Gravitor"  is the 3 attack dices range attack.

But i still considered this range ability is useless.

It's primarily a support weapon, not one meant to bring destruction to the enemy. There is no other way to Slam targets at range without spending mana on it every time (and out of those only Force Bash always Slams).

and vorpal blade has lower mana cost & LV1,

And Vorpal Blade and Heart of Gravikor still fill very different roles, so it isn't fair to compare them.

I could do the same thing in reverse:
Vorpal blade is worse than the Heart against zombies or anything else with 0 armour.
Vorpal blade can't hit flying targets.
Vorpal blade can't hit guards without triggering their counterstrike.
Vorpal blade is more easily dissolved/stolen/exploded.
Vorpal blade can't Slam targets.

Obviously Vorpal blade is a terrible weapon, and for only 5 more mana you can upgrade to a superior weapon.

Except if I were to do that I would be completely ignoring the Vorpal Blade's intended role and strengths in that role.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »
We want to keep this all civil. What may seem obvious to some may not be to others, and so we want to keep our conversations respectful on all sides.

As for the card in question Vorpal Blade is much more focused than Heart of Gravikor. In that way you'll be able to pay less for something more focused. Heart of Gravikor is a more utility card, it gives options. Now some playstyles will shy away from the five extra mana in favor of the focused Vorpal Blade. But other builds may find the flexible Heart of Gravikor well worth its cost.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
About warlord only card
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2014, 09:03:35 AM »
I think I agree with Aylin. The piercing 2 trait, a specific whole number of dice, the faces of those dice that can be landed on—these are all exact numbers, and they are already given. They are not measurements.

Therefore, significant figures don't apply here. A small difference is still a difference in this case. A 6 dice attack is more likely to do more damage than a four dice attack with piercing, though not by much.

That being said, I suspect that the majority of people are bad at math. There's no reason to get hostile at them for it, you just politely correct them and move on.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 09:13:03 AM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

MageMuse

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2014, 12:23:10 PM »
It is true, mathematically, +2 dice is better than +2 piercing.  One only needs to look at Piercing and Power Strike.  Both novice spells and with the same mana costs, yet the values are +3 for piercing and +2 for dice.  When comparing the possible roll results, things seem to even out as opposed to a mirror +2 vs +2.

I have gone the route of dice is usually better, especially, with resilient targets becoming much more common.  Very situationally piercing can be better when you just need a guarenteed low damage attack that will bring down a 5+ Armor target.  Think of it as terrible luck mitigation.  Some people just feel safer even if +2 dice is better on average if they just need 2 or 3 damage.  The math of lower expectations :p