April 18, 2024, 02:42:46 PM

Author Topic: Questions about two spells...  (Read 4247 times)

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Questions about two spells...
« on: January 17, 2014, 04:27:35 AM »
Hi guys,

i don't have so much experience right now with MW, but i've built some decks in OCTGN and sometimes i win...!  ;D

Btw, i'd wish to ask you opinions about 2 cards that made me think...

1) RENEWING SPRING: in a non-Priestess deck, it's still viable??? Or it far more better Healing Wand and/or Purify??? I felle that losing an action is a very high price to pay for my creatures...

2) HUGINN: in an Harmo-Gate deck, how can he helps? Why i have to summon it instead of (for example) a Gorgon Archer o another Golem/Jelly/Hydra??? Yes, he has Def, but an Unavoidable spell kills it immediately....

Really glad to read you  :)

G.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about two spells...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 04:32:13 AM »
Wand of healing uses mages actions and spring uses creatures actions. I like renewing spring better because it also heals.

Huginn can have a reverse attack placed on him to prevent that from occuring. Huginn is very flexible and can help by teleporting and dispelling for you but don't use him unless you have an advantage in the first place.

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 05:02:02 AM »
Understood.  :D

Thanks,
G.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 05:51:22 AM »
Unavoidable attacks goes through Reverse attack and Block (see the text on the cards).
Also they are mandatory reveal so they will be discarded without effect.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 06:49:26 AM »
1) RENEWING SPRING: in a non-Priestess deck, it's still viable??? Or it far more better Healing Wand and/or Purify??? I felle that losing an action is a very high price to pay for my creatures...

The advantage to the spring is precisely that you use the action of the creature to heal it, rather than the action of your mage. It works best if you have a lot of creatures, for instance a bitterwood swarm, since it might otherwise not be feasible to heal them all.

Another advantage of the spring is that you can heal and remove conditions at the same time, whereas the wand can heal or remove, but not both at the same time.

Putting aside the difference in efficacy between the two spells, I would say that if you value your mage's actions highly or have a large number of creatures, you should go with the spring, whereas if you value your creatures' actions highly or have very few creatures you should go with the wand.

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 06:57:34 AM »

The advantage to the spring is precisely that you use the action of the creature to heal it, rather than the action of your mage. It works best if you have a lot of creatures, for instance a bitterwood swarm, since it might otherwise not be feasible to heal them all.

Another advantage of the spring is that you can heal and remove conditions at the same time, whereas the wand can heal or remove, but not both at the same time.

Putting aside the difference in efficacy between the two spells, I would say that if you value your mage's actions highly or have a large number of creatures, you should go with the spring, whereas if you value your creatures' actions highly or have very few creatures you should go with the wand.

My trouble is that with a non-active Mage (not involved in battle) it's better to heal with it and stay aggro with creatures... 3 die are normally 3 wounds removed, while if the creature attacks, it has almost always more than 3 die.

Btw, in a druid deck, which card would you choose?

THX!
G.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »

My trouble is that with a non-active Mage (not involved in battle) it's better to heal with it and stay aggro with creatures... 3 die are normally 3 wounds removed, while if the creature attacks, it has almost always more than 3 die.

Btw, in a druid deck, which card would you choose?

THX!
G.

Right - you value your creatures' actions more than your mage's actions, so that makes sense for you.

In a druid deck, I wouldn't bother with either. The Druid's creatures (plants) are extremely cheap for what they can do, and regenerate - there isn't much point to healing them. As far as condition removal goes, I keep a few copies of renewing rain for burns and Mohktari's Branch for anything else, though I have not yet had occasion to use it.

Healing is more valuable for creatures with some armor or other way of avoiding damage, since damage means more then. The Druid's creatures are built to be cheap and self-sufficient. If the enemy decides to destroy them, there's not a lot you can do about it unless you invest in protecting them. I would rather summon another Vine Snapper or Thornlasher than try to salvage my previous one, but that's just my strategy.

If you absolutely do need to heal your plant creatures, I think the wand is probably a better choice, mostly because a lot of the plants can't move (and hence can't get to the spring if they are not rooted in its zone). But Mohktari's Branch is better than the wand for that purpose anyway...

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 01:15:12 PM »
Thanks!!! I'll try the Branch.

CYA
G.