September 28, 2024, 06:21:03 PM

Author Topic: Defensive Force!  (Read 18878 times)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Defensive Force!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 08:52:00 AM »
I generally find non-flyers with less than 11-12 hp too easy to kill - or too hard keeping alive.
Armor or not. Sooner or later a crit spike will occure and they are down to less than half HP.
Even a 3 dice creature rolls 4+ crits on a regular basis.
So either i accept they have a limited time on the board - or i summon something else.

The problem with running a FM creature strategy, is that its obvious to the opponent how he can beat you.
Kill those creatures and they will not be replaced simply because of the extreme spellbook cost.

I would like to see your spellbook in action - but looking at it tells me that its not presenting any threat or domination to force any strategy through.
I think the opponent can pretty much do what he wants.

I think any turtle build will just overwhelm this build in strength and numbers in round 7-8 while you build up your castle.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 09:03:33 AM »
On the contrary, I think concentrating on the creatures is exactly what the OP wants his opponent to do. Most Forcemaster builds don't stop to build up their castles, they build while applying heavy pressure via non-spell attacks. An FM with basic equipment and no buffs (say just Galvitar and dancing scimitar) can put out 7-11 dice of damage per round while still preserving her QC for development. That damage is almost certainly going to be directed at the enemy mage. If the enemy mage wants to spend those same rounds focusing on the FM's creatures, by the time they're dead it's likely to be too late.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 09:19:23 AM »
If the enemy mage wants to spend those same rounds focusing on the FM's creatures, by the time they're dead it's likely to be too late.

agree... so why put in defensive creatures?

Offensive creatures can guard as well when needed.
Also spending 3 rounds summoning creatures is a long time. Now add another 2 rounds to get from corner to enemy corner and its suddenly round 5.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2014, 09:40:19 AM »
That might work. It's hard to find a 13 point creature that combines  survivability and damage better than the KoW. Iron golem maybe but you couldn't push it.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2014, 12:09:50 PM »
That might work. It's hard to find a 13 point creature that combines  survivability and damage better than the KoW. Iron golem maybe but you couldn't push it.

KoW is imo a heavy hitter especially the cost considered.... im talking about all the intercept creatures.
Those that kinda supports the definition of the "Defense Force" topic.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2014, 07:53:26 PM »
[mwcard=MW1C20] Highland Unicorn[/mwcard]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 02:20:10 PM by sIKE »
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 12:36:52 PM »
Except if my opponent doesn't move, Highland Unicorn won't get Charge +2. And the Regenerate 1 is only helpful if I have more creatures sharing its zone. Knight of Westlock's attack is 5 dice even without having to move, and While the Unicorn has regenerate 2, knight of westlock has 1 more armor and 1 more health than Unicorn. I suppose it could be a useful guard for my mage to heal a bit of damage, but I don't think that's worth replacing the Knight with it. Now, if I was playing in a lightning heavy metagame, then I probably would choose unicorn over knight.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 02:24:11 PM »
As a guard [mwcard=MW1C22] Knight of Westlock[/mwcard] is much better. I like regen a lot especially if someone is focusing on my main dealer of damage.

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 01:59:50 PM »
I have had two forcefields dispelled regularly, and what about battleforge?

somaddict

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
Falcon Precision, Precise Strike and Unavoidable attack spells void all your defenses

Is forcefield bypassed by unavoidable? I thought not.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 02:30:51 PM »
You're using the term "defense" differently. Falcon Precision, Precise Strike, and Unavoidable negate the game mechanic "defense". However, they don't bypass all methods of defending oneself (ie, defenses).

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
According to the codex, the definition of an unavoidable attack is one that cannot be avoided with defenses.

I just looked at Forcefield again, and you are right Somaddict. Nowhere does it say that using a Forcefield token is a defense. It just says that it cancels the attack BEFORE the avoid attacks step. Defenses occur DURING the avoid attack step. I stand corrected.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
The only ways I know of getting around forcefield are damage barriers and reverse attack.  Most opponents will have to either dispel it (bring two so you can recast) or beat through it with quantity of attacks.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 05:19:24 PM »
The only ways I know of getting around forcefield are damage barriers and reverse attack.  Most opponents will have to either dispel it (bring two so you can recast) or beat through it with quantity of attacks.

Force Push through a Wall of Thorns works quite nicely.

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
That's why eagle claw boots are in style for forcemasters. FF is a hard nut to crack. The obvious way is to summon more creatures, but then there's the obelisk.