April 28, 2024, 06:43:30 PM

Author Topic: Alternative female mage art?  (Read 43783 times)

webcatcher

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Alternative female mage art?
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2013, 10:58:29 AM »
I already use the Priest portrait card with the Priestess's ability card, and if I ever wanted to use the J. Beastmaster ability card I'd still use the S. Beastmaster portrait card.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2013, 11:03:57 AM »
I love the penny sleeve idea. It really does solve the concerns voiced by some of the players. But I'm not so how do I put this. I have the worst drawling skills ever. If someone could pre print these sleeves for me I would gladly pay for your time. It might convince my sister to allow my nieces to play with the priestess. Maybe some for the angels and other scantily clad artwork.(I have no problem with scantily clad men or women)
I really think that op kits could include ALTERNATE MAGE CARDS not specifically mage related perse but a generalized male dwarf mage clad in neutral armor. So if wanted he could be a priest or a warlock. Just a compleatly blank mage with no ability card. This would encourage more organized play and also not deduct from the spell tomes and expansions card pack counts. Then people could use a great looking mage earned by playing op kits.(sorry people who don't have access to op kits organized play or able to go to conventions.) Also could be made into a 10 card "booster" pack adding new mages without changing the meta maybe with some enhanced art mages in it.

You could just print out your own pictures or use photo shop- cut out the card- and stick it in said sleeve. I understand that people want AW to make alternate cards- but in some situations where if the art is a problem, that can be done.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2013, 11:09:11 AM »
I am artfully challenged. I just offered up an idea according to the thread. I would like an official AW product not a self created proxy. I think it is a good idea. That would hopefully make money and make it accessible to all members of the forums even the ones overseas.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
That should make everybody happy. I've singlehandedly solved the issue- Your all welcome.

It doesn't solve the issue as it doesn't change how AW presents female mages or creatures.

Using markers or Photoshop (depending on the skill of the person using it) won't allow the artwork to look natural with the rest of the set. It'll stick out like a sore thumb.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2013, 11:29:03 AM »
That should make everybody happy. I've singlehandedly solved the issue- Your all welcome.

It doesn't solve the issue as it doesn't change how AW presents female mages or creatures.

Using markers or Photoshop (depending on the skill of the person using it) won't allow the artwork to look natural with the rest of the set. It'll stick out like a sore thumb.
I think that we should have all women dressed in Burka's and the men dressed in heavy armor with closed helmets. This way no one will know what or who anyone is. Are they good looking or ugly? Tall or Short? Thin or Fat? This would solve the problem with the human (or not so human) form. We just don't want to look at it, as it is bad and detracts from a game about maiming and killing others.

• Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2013, 11:34:55 AM »

Are you sure? I think that I may have.  ::) (It was a joke...I was being sarcastic, while at the same time trying to keep the mood light. Sarcasim- its a thing!  ;D) (Thats my slogan for sarcasm- its not directed at whoever I quoted)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:43:19 AM by DarthDadaD20 »
Within Shad0w.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 31, 2013, 11:37:42 AM »

I think that we should have all women dressed in Burka's and the men dressed in heavy armor with closed helmets. This way no one will know what or who anyone is. Are they good looking or ugly? Tall or Short? Thin or Fat? This would solve the problem with the human (or not so human) form. We just don't want to look at it, as it is bad and detracts from a game about maiming and killing others.

TBH- this touches on what is the actual issue here of what is culturally acceptable and personally tasteful. This issue is far less about anybody being in the right or in the wrong- its far more about what people perceive (in their own veiw) to be right or wrong. (Now I am commenting something relating to the issue on the thread......oh God.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 11:40:27 AM by DarthDadaD20 »
Within Shad0w.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2013, 12:04:15 PM »
Thanks Darth, for catching the satire in my comment. There is absolutely no way for AW to win on this conversation. If they went the direction that is being asked on this thread, they would be Duck Dynasty'ed by fan on the other side of the fence. For the people (whom I do have a lot of respect for) I would suggest that you use proxies for your female mages and you can place Post-it notes over the cards with "titillating" art work this should allow the youngsters to play the game.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 31, 2013, 12:44:44 PM »

Are you sure? I think that I may have.  ::) (It was a joke...I was being sarcastic, while at the same time trying to keep the mood light. Sarcasim- its a thing!  ;D) (Thats my slogan for sarcasm- its not directed at whoever I quoted)

I was hoping you weren't being serious, though it's hard to tell on forums. I have seen worse suggestions put forth seriously.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
Ya- Sarcasm doesn't translate all to well in the written state.

Neither does the phrase "You say potato, I say potato."  ;D
Within Shad0w.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 31, 2013, 12:54:32 PM »
The problem isn't that I have to use sexy-priestess. I can use whatever thing I want, if I don't mind confusing my opponent; like the Top Hat from monopoly, I guess.

The problem is that AW is putting out a product which exhaustively treats women as eye-candy, because apparently that's what it is believed the market wants.

Honestly, it's weird to me that fans object to diversifying the presentation of women. It's important to people that all women in mage wars must stay sexy? Is this a factor on which people make their buying decissions? Are there really people who would be upset if Mage Wars stopped sexualizing all the women in the art?

Like "sexy babe" is the expected default feature for all geek media and simply stopping is somehow a bold political statement? Like offering alternatives (hopefully well executed and generally awesome) is an intrusion into an important quality of the game?

Are people going to be pissed off that Alt Wizard doesn't happen to be sexy?
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 31, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
Ok- I started by saying I wasn't going to comment on the topic at hand....but seeing as this is the only thread with a pulse ATM...

( This is more about the art as a whole- Yes, I can agree that some more Mage cards could be produced with females in full armor but I guarantee you that a female paladin would be, since, that makes sense. A priestess, not so much, your views on religion might be a little narrow if you believe so.)

"Are people going to be pissed off that Alt Wizard doesn't happen to be sexy?"

No. I would hope not. But....if there is a "Seductress" Or more likely- a "sorcereres" or enchantress- I would be a little mad if she didn't have any sex appeal (Not that sex appeal cant mean different things to different people, but to me, its the standard fair). 

To be honest- Im not happy when Harpies dont have breast exposed. Is it because I want to see a monsters breast- no. Its because its what I have become accustomed to- you dont want to see a green smurf do you???

Im going to end this by saying- Wouldn't it be fair to everyone if we had both? Both the 80s generic pulp fantasy art that I grew up on and more realistic representation of both sexes? That seems to be the most fair to me.

And Mage Wars already dose this- and that is why I personally dont see a problem.

Most games I play dont even try. They just dont.

And we're not just talking about me wanting to see boobies here, your talking about nostalgia, and to some degree, my culture.

If you want better depiction of women in fantasy games.....well.....here it is. Courtesy of Mage Wars.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 03:19:47 PM by DarthDadaD20 »
Within Shad0w.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 31, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »
I don't really want to get involved in this argument. However, here are some more appropriately dressed female mage cards for anybody that absolutely has to have an alternative:

Others for stylistic consistency:

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 31, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »
I got a kick out of the Beastmaster!  ;D
Within Shad0w.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 31, 2013, 05:43:49 PM »
I don't really want to get involved in this argument. However, here are some more appropriately dressed female mage cards for anybody that absolutely has to have an alternative:

Others for stylistic consistency:

@ACG

Problem solved! Well, we need opposite sex representation of all the mage types also so we need a Male J Beastmaster and a Female S Beastmaster, a male Druid, etc., remember keep it androgynous, as there is no difference between male and female....

The problem is that AW is putting out a product which exhaustively treats women as eye-candy, because apparently that's what it is believed the market wants.
Exhaustively? What have you been doing that makes you exhausted?

I am sure the Oracles of Delphi dressed completely different than depicted for the Priestess, more than likely head to toe everything covered nun like....