April 28, 2024, 09:12:29 PM

Author Topic: Simple Warlord fix (requires card reprint)  (Read 10070 times)

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Simple Warlord fix (requires card reprint)
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »
I'm agreed with you. Always seeing the Warlord like a Earth Wizard is an error. Attacks golems are better for E. Wizard, yes. But the ways to play the warlord are others . AND nullify IS NOT a essential card. Force push is good enough to "teleport" at low buying cost.

I think the only problem with the Warlord is the way people want to play him.

I've attempted the Warlord with a few different strategies, but so far I haven't been able to find any that really work well with him. He doesn't do well with Swarm, though this is largely due to how terrible spawnpoints are in general, and his in particular. On the other hand, there really isn't the support in the War school to just have a couple of large creatures, though this strategy is where I had the most success with him. I haven't tried him solo yet and that might work, but two of his abilities don't work unless he has creatures out and so far he doesn't have any weapons that match the destructive power of Lash of Hellfire, Staff of Asyra (with a Priest), or Galvitar (and no weapon that gives action advantage like Sectarus).

That said, I do think the Warlord will get better as more cards are released and the reliance on certain staples (Dispel and Teleport namely) is diminished. Having fully fleshed out War and Earth schools would definitely help.

Force Push can work as a makeshift Teleport, but it's so very limited. Also it doesn't work on anything Unmovable, so your opponent can just put on Eagleclaw Boots to prevent you from pushing her/him around. Also it can't save your creatures from a conjuration like Quicksand or Stranglevine, which is pretty big.

DDD:

Purify sort-of already does that, since it can remove Ghoul Rot and Poison Blood which happen to be the two most common curses in my meta right now. It's definitely worth running a couple of them in most books anyway for the ability to remove poison conditions.

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 10:20:00 PM »
Good point Aylin  ;D - I myself would run Wand of Healing, even with the chance of desolve.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »
Good point Aylin  ;D - I myself would run Wand of Healing, even with the chance of desolve.

Wand of Healing is a good choice, though kinda awkward to use unless you're using a Battleforge. Though on the other hand if they do dissolve it, that's one less dissolve for your Mage Wand with Teleport on it. ;)

Running both would probably be a good idea. Purify has a couple of advantages over Wand of Healing, so one of each should be good.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 11:52:38 AM »
Maybe an enchantment that has the ability to make a creature UN containable by removing and preventing it from gaining armour

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 02:13:27 AM »
I think the Warlord's biggest problems is that his inherent abilities are inferior to the inherent abilities of all of the other mages. His battle orders just aren't that useful, especially if you use the "bodyguard" approach - having 1 or 2 strong creatures and your Warlord with War Sledge - instead of swarm (which he isn't designed for!) His veteran tokens are hardly useful either, which is a problem.

I really wish the Warlord had a "pet-like" ability. Maybe something like...
"COMMANDER: When a friendly, non-epic, non-legendary soldier creature comes into play, Warlord may pay mana equal to the creature's level to give that creature the Commander token. This token grants the creature the +1 melee, +1 armor, and vigilant traits."

I think the Warlord needs better equipment too. I'm thinking armor that grants armor +3 and maybe has built in Tough -1 or something like that.

I am pleased to see that more Earth creatures/attacks are in the Warlord's future. God knows he needs them.

I have had the most success with the Warlord when I summon 1 or 2 solid creatures (both at least level 3) to guard me, spam Hurl Boulder, use Fortified Position and Veteran's Belt (along with other armor) for a good defense, and spam the sweeping attack with War Sledge. With the Horn of Gothos + swarm approach to Warlord I have had no success at all.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 02:17:53 AM by MrSaucy »
"See you space cowboy..."