April 28, 2024, 04:43:20 PM

Poll

Which Alternate Variant do you like to play the most?

Zuberi's shared initiative Team Play
2 (100%)
TheDominator's "Capture the Flag"
0 (0%)
Imaginator's "Emblems!"
0 (0%)
Aquestrion's "2v2 shared fate"
0 (0%)
The Dude's vs. AI variant (Solo/Co-Op)
0 (0%)
DarthDadaD20's "Warband Play"
0 (0%)
Ahlano's "Apprentice Mode Level 2"
0 (0%)
Nitrodavid's "2v1 Horde Defence"
0 (0%)
Imaginator's "Ambassador Format"
0 (0%)
Imaginator's "Lava Escape"
0 (0%)
Tokata's "Mage Wars and Dragons"
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Alternate Variants Popularity Contest  (Read 3183 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Alternate Variants Popularity Contest
« on: December 06, 2013, 09:43:35 PM »
So I've been wondering how many people actually play any of the alternate formats on here, how often and which ones. I've been wanting to play an alternate format for quite a while, but haven't had the chance since I don't have a real life playgroup yet. All of the formats I have posted here are (as far as I can see) not favoring some kinds of mage classes over others and have been relatively fleshed out. On top of that, I only included alternate formats that were entire formats, rather than merely options that can be added to different formats. I wasn't sure whether to add ktype2's "Mage Wars extreme", since it has no replies and therefore I don't know how well it works.

This poll will be running FOREVER. It will be edited as new alternate formats are created and new players with different variant preferences join the forum. If you change your mind about which 1 or 2 alternate formats you like to play best, then you are free to change your vote(s) at any time. Let's see how well-liked different variants will be over the next many years. Let the Alternate Variants Popularity contest begin!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Re: Alternate Variants Popularity Contest
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 07:41:55 AM »
I haven't tried any of the other variants, so I cast a vote for my own. I kind of wish I had a fancy name for the variant I created. My play group has been calling it Two-Headed Giant because that's the name of the Magic the Gathering variant that it is based off of and most similar to. However, I am positive that Two-Headed Giant is probably copyrighted so I don't want to infringe.

TheDOMINATOR

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
Thanks for including my thread/idea in your poll, Imaginator! I wish it had gotten more responses though; I'd love to hear more feedback on the concept and semi-fleshed out rules I put up. Unfortunately I haven't gotten the chance to play test it yet; I've been having way too much fun with the DvN set the good old fashioned way. :P

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 06:01:21 PM »
Very cool! And good work as always imaginator. (I dont think I have ever seen someone so deserving of their screen name before!  ;D )
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
Within Shad0w.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »
Tell me about it. I haven't had the chance to test ANY of the variants I've created since I don't have a playgroup in real life. I'm sometimes kind of amazed myself at what I come up with without even having the chance test it. I would say that takes a lot of imagination I think. Although I feel like maybe my variants could be SO MUCH BETTER if I had the chance to test them in real life rather than merely as thought experiments. It would be nice if people were more active in testing the variants in this forum and then posting their results. Considering that there seems to be a greater number of people who play Mage Wars that are interested in alternate variants than some other games, I'm kind of surprised so few people have voted in this poll. :(
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.