March 29, 2024, 05:45:27 AM

Author Topic: How to make a status dial (easily)  (Read 5255 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
How to make a status dial (easily)
« on: December 23, 2013, 08:36:06 PM »
I don't like the status boards provided with the game, because the cubes slide around. I decided to make a status dial instead. This has been done before, but I wanted to make sure the wheels don't slide around (as they do when using brads to secure them). I also wanted to use materials that were easy to get.

I realized that CDs and their cases already form a decently sturdy dial. Taking inspiration from commercial neodymium-based life counters (which are overpriced), I added two magnetically secured dials on top of this to form a nice, compact status dial. The result:

I ended up using ceramic magnets (available at most hardware stores) because they are significantly cheaper than neodymium and just as good for these purposes. The damage dial is made from the CD and turns by stroking the side; the mana and channeling are magnetically secured and can be rotated freely (but thanks to the magnets, they will not rotate by themselves).

This was extremely easy to do. If anybody wants to make their own, here are the instructions, though they are probably not needed. You need to cut your own dials and cover out of the cardboard, and to write your own numbers on the side of the dial. It does not take very long.