April 29, 2024, 04:10:01 AM

Author Topic: Grey Wraith - Movement Options  (Read 2823 times)

DaveW

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Grey Wraith - Movement Options
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:58:53 PM »
I want to make sure that I understand how the teleport ability of a Grey Wraith works. My questions are intermingled with my musings, below, and are in red.

The card says:

"Instead of taking a move action, Grey Wraith may pay 1 mana to teleport into an adjacent zone."

The rules (under Actions / Movement) say:

"During its Action Phase, a creature can move. If it moves, it must finish all movement before it takes any other action. A creature cannot take any other kind of action and then move.

"When a creature takes a move action it moves one zone into any adjacent zone....

"As a quick action, a creature can choose to move a second zone...."

The way I am reading this is that the teleport is the only movement that the creature can undertake on its own in the action phase if it chooses to do that instead of taking a move action. It seems, for example, that the Grey Wraith could not then move into a second zone (via a move action or a second self-teleport) because it would have to have the option to move in either case. I do not believe that option exists as a creature may not take a move action after doing anything else (presumably such as teleporting in lieu of a move action). Is this correct?

I also believe that the Grey Wraith could not take a move action to move one zone and then activate the teleport ability, since the second zone of movement that most creatures can take normally is not (from the way I read the rules) a separate move action from the one taken to enter the first adjacent zone (it is just a quick action). Correct?

Does the teleport leave the Grey Wraith a quick action (as if it had moved normally into the adjacent zone, if such were permissible), or does the creature use its entire action to teleport? I presume that it is able to make use of its quick attack after teleporting, but I just wanted to make sure.

My understanding of the differences between the Blue Gremlin's teleport ability and that of the Grey Wraith is that 1) The Blue Gremlin could teleport a second time with no additional expenditure of mana if it does not begin in or move into a zone where it is/becomes hindered, whereas the Grey Wraith can only move one zone and then must stop regardless (much like Climbing); and 2) The Blue Gremlin could be unable to teleport if it is restrained but the incorporeal nature of the Grey Wraith prevents this. Is this accurate?
  • Favourite Mage: Asyra Priestess

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Grey Wraith - Movement Options
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 11:10:52 PM »
See page 39 of the FAQ: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jko9zfgglg5xse6/Mage%20Wars%20Official%20Rules%20and%20Codex%20Supplement%20-%20Updated%20November%202013.pdf

Teleporting does not take a Grey Wraith's entire activation. After teleporting, the Grey Wraith will still get a quick action.

The Grey Wraith may take a move action after teleporting (by using it's quick action as a move action). This can be used to teleport again (paying an additional 1 mana), or as a regular move action.

The Grey Wraith can take a regular move action, and then teleport for their quick action.

Blue Gremlin can teleport even when Unmovable or Restrained (see page 29).
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »
To make it very simple, consider that whenever it could move, you can pay 1 mana to transform that move into a teleport. It is not more complicated than that.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 10:37:46 AM »
I also want to point out that hindering has no effect on teleporting, so both Blue Gremlin and Gray Wraith can move twice even if moving out of or through hindering terrain. FAQ page 15, page 29, and page 38.