March 29, 2024, 01:02:21 AM

Author Topic: Mage Wars Portability Project  (Read 19209 times)

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Mage Wars Portability Project
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2014, 05:53:54 AM »
Update: Just added information and a link about miniature damage/mana dials as a replacement for damage/mana tokens.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 07:27:22 PM »
Update in turn: After literally months of sporadic searching, I *finally* found a storage box that suits Mage Wars about as close to perfectly as I can reasonably expect:

Plano 23731-01 Stowaway Deep Open Compartment
http://www.planomolding.com/product.php?BCCID=138&PID=753

It's basically an open-compartment tacklebox, that almost perfectly fits two spellbooks side by side.  It can hold up to six, or 4 or 5 with tokens, dice and cards from the Portability Project.  Fits well in a backpack, all is good.  Costs less than $10 at Amazon, as well.

With the corner and condition cards printed and sleeved, I will probably never need to open that godawful oversized Mage Wars box again! ; )

One of the things I'm really happy about is that I've got two of these now: one to hold four starter spellbooks and the things I'll need to teach Mage Wars, and another to hold my predesigned spellbooks and all the things needed to play anytime, anywhere.  So if I think I'll have an opportunity to infect other gamers with the Mage Wars virus (heh), I can just grab the tote and go.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 07:36:13 AM »
Btw, I'm curious. How many people actually play mage wars using the more portable components listed here? I think it would also make it easier to have more games going at a time in the same location, ergo,  you can host a tournament without requiring all the players to bring their own arenas. Somebody should put a poll up...
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
Well, I do. Actually, I don't even bother printing out things like the zone intersection cards, but just use random unused mage wars tokens like the vet markers; I put those cards up so that people who like dedicated components can have them. I hardly ever use an actual board anymore, and I never use action markers.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2015, 05:50:30 PM »
Want to point out that daze is also stackable. At least, I think it is. I might be remembering wrong.

Also, the stackable conditions can't be moved around individually, so the card version of the conditions won't always work well enough, like when you're playing the adramelech warlock. Also I found out that the images are the wrong resolution and size to be printed on blank 3.5x2.5 playing cards. I've edited some of them to be correct and I might post them later.
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 12:08:16 PM »
Has anyone considered using tiny suction cups with the status cards instead of the status cubes? I'm not sure if it would work...

bigfatchef

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 01:41:10 PM »
I love the idea of card sized condition markers a lot. After reading the initial post here I created some colorful ones on my one. It took a while making those cards, so playtesting will be next week. A helping background or stuff like that would have been helpful. If anyone is interested I can upload a printable pdf. Minor optical defects included :)

For damage and mana I switched to very small red and purple dice.

What I really really still miss is a way to play outdoors. Plan is now to play around with metal tiles and small magnet balls to fix cards, because the main problem is wind.
Has anybody tried something like that? Playing in a park would definitely open up big time slots for battles while nice weather! At least in Germany...

orion87

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »
If your cards are slipped, you could use a whiteboard marker to indicate damage, status etc.