April 29, 2024, 06:33:14 PM

Author Topic: Grand melee boss fight!  (Read 4569 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Grand melee boss fight!
« on: October 13, 2014, 02:12:15 PM »
When the 1vmany rules are released in the archmage expansion, it would be awesome to mix it with some type of grand melee format to make a 1v30+ game or something like that. That would be awesome as an official event!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 02:14:31 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
Re: Grand melee boss fight!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 04:27:15 PM »
eeee gads! It would take 3 hours just to get through the first round........
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 06:39:03 PM »
Gotta agree with Sikes. 1 vs 30 is ludicrous for time reasons alone. Then think about the space requirement of the arena to fit all those mages, keeping track of peoples cards so they do not get mixed up, being able to reach the center of the super arena to even move your cards, then there is the issue of how to nominate the (lucky?) person that gets to be the archmage. Can you imagine how crowded a zone would be with 31 mages piling their creatures and enchantments into it?

Friends do not let friends drink and post forum threads.  :P
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 08:24:30 PM »
eeee gads! It would take 3 hours just to get through the first round........

Um, no it wouldn't take 3 hours to get through the first round. Grand melee normally has shared turns between players a certain number of seats apart. Are you familiar with grand melee format, in MtG or otherwise? Just checking.

Gotta agree with Sikes. 1 vs 30 is ludicrous for time reasons alone. Then think about the space requirement of the arena to fit all those mages, keeping track of peoples cards so they do not get mixed up, being able to reach the center of the super arena to even move your cards, then there is the issue of how to nominate the (lucky?) person that gets to be the archmage. Can you imagine how crowded a zone would be with 31 mages piling their creatures and enchantments into it?

Friends do not let friends drink and post forum threads.  :P

space requirement isn't an issue if you bring enough tables and make it a really big event. For keeping track of people's cards, just get card sleeves and write your name/initials on it or something like that. Also, I didn't say anything about the shape of the arena. I'm thinking have the archmage either be chosen at random from past tournament winners who volunteer, or have the tournament organizer be the archmage.

There are good ways to deal with a lot of the issues you seem to be thinking of. Might I suggest you check out my most recent much more feasible grand melee format for mage wars?

http://forum.arcanewonders.com/index.php?topic=14539.0
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:35:13 PM by Sailor Vulcan »
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Maverick

• Ambassador - Twin Cities MN
  • Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • I got a fever, and the only cure is Mage Wars!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:40:51 PM »
Sorry I was unaware that "Grand melee" was a game variant you invented. I thought you were just talking about a massive 1 vs. 30 game where the 1 person was an archmage. I logically assumed to fit 31 people on a game board you would use a whole bunch of boards pushed together. I will need to look up your rules to see what you are talking about. By your last post I now assume you mean it as a tournament format of some sort.

If you are posting a variant of rules you created it would be helpful if you noted that and posted a link to the original rules to alleviate confusion. The phrase "grand melee" to a lot of people just means "really big match".

Edit: After now reading your Grand Melee rules I have to say I still agree with Sike.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:45:28 PM by Maverick »
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Easy, guys.. I put my pants on just like the rest of you -- one leg at a time. Except, once my pants are on, I win Mage Wars!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 12:03:13 AM »

Sorry I was unaware that "Grand melee" was a game variant you invented. I thought you were just talking about a massive 1 vs. 30 game where the 1 person was an archmage. I logically assumed to fit 31 people on a game board you would use a whole bunch of boards pushed together. I will need to look up your rules to see what you are talking about. By your last post I now assume you mean it as a tournament format of some sort.

If you are posting a variant of rules you created it would be helpful if you noted that and posted a link to the original rules to alleviate confusion. The phrase "grand melee" to a lot of people just means "really big match".

Edit: After now reading your Grand Melee rules I have to say I still agree with Sike.

I really do not understand why. It would be literally impossible to take 30+ hrs per round with that rule set. And it isn't a complicated rule set either. (Although I admit that people might shy away from the simplified notation for seating arrangements simply because they assume that anything with math in it must be complicated.) but it really isn't. It's just a square of four tables with arenas lined up in a square on those tables, people's stuff can't interact with stuff whose owner is sitting too far away, and people sitting at the outer side of the tables share init, while people sitting at  the inner side of the tables also share init. That's basically it.

lukard

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 09:07:49 PM »
I didn't have a chance to play any Magic The Gathering Grand Melee format but I read the rules and I found it very cool. Indeed, I have played similar format with my friends and it worked alright.

In my opinion, the biggest challenge is the arena. After having some defeated mages the arena becomes too big for the number of playing mages. This might create a problem where mages start to run away from each other.

Overall, it could work, specially with 3-6 players. However, it is hard to say if it is fun without giving it a try.