May 02, 2024, 06:26:49 AM

Author Topic: Seedling pods  (Read 9216 times)

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Seedling pods
« on: December 06, 2013, 03:30:40 AM »
Playtesting seedling pods lead me to this interesting idea.

Turn on cast seedling pod and tataree turn 2 channel tataree into pod and cast meditation amu and meditate. turn 3 the tricky part pop seedling pod into a samara tree.

Do I get that seedling pod back? Because samara cantrip effect?

Can that samara tree immeadiatly cast a seedling pod?

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
Re: Seedling pods
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 04:11:12 AM »
First, I would say that the Samara you summoned could not cast a Seedling Pod that turn, since during the Deployment Phase you can only cast the spells you've chosen during the Planning Phase. During the Planning Phase, Samara Tree was not on the field, so you could not select a spell for Samara Tree to cast during the Deployment Phase.

Onto the other question.
Text on Seedling Pod:
"During the Deployment Phase, if there is 3 or more mana on Seedling Pod, it may cast 1 plant creature or conjuration which targets its zone, an object in its zone, or a border of its zone. If it does, destroy Seedling Pod."

So based on that, the trigger to destroy Seedling Pod happens right after Step 1 of casting a spell. I think the player with initiative would be able to decide which happened first: Step 2 or destroying the pod. I don't think it would make much difference either way though since Seedling Pod would be destroyed because Step 3 was completed (bring Samara Tree out and giving Seedling Pod Cantrip).

Unless of course the player with initiative could reorder destroying the Pod and Step 3, in which case the Pod would return (provided you had initiative; I don't think an opponent would let you get it back). I don't think it would be worth it though, since Samara wouldn't give you a new Seedling Pod.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:16:35 AM by AylinIsAwesome »

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 04:56:14 AM »
I was going to post about how this question was already asked, then I realized that it was originally asked by you, so you already know about it, Aquestrion. I assume you simply decided it deserved it's own thread, which I am in favor of because it is a very interesting question with a few ramifications. I will repost my initial response here then.

Quote from: Zuberi
That is an excellent question. It depends on if the seedling pod is destroyed upon initiating the cast or resolving the cast. If it is destroyed upon initiating the cast (in Step 1: Cast Spell) then the answer would definitely be "No, it is destroyed before gaining the Cantrip trait."

If, however, it occurs upon resolving the spell (Step 3: Resolve Spell), then the destruction happens at the same time as the effect of Samara tree. The normal rule when two things occur simultaneously under your control is that you get to choose the order of events, so you could then apply the Cantrip trait before destroying the Seedling Pod.

I might be over-thinking this or simply missing something, but I believe this is something else that deserves clarification.

Edit: I just realized that this question would have serious ramifications on other spells cast by the Seedling Pod as well. If the pod is destroyed during Step 1: Cast Spell (kind of as a cost to casting the spell) then it gets destroyed even if the spell ends up being countered or cancelled. Meanwhile, if it isn't destroyed until Step 3: Resolve Spell, you would be able to keep the pod if the spell was countered or cancelled (although you would still lose the Mana).

For example: using it to cast Tanglevine on a target which then teleports away using Divine Intervention.

P.S. AylinisIsAwesome is absolutely correct about the tree immediately casting another pod though. No pod was prepared during Planning, thus none could be cast during Deployment.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 04:58:57 AM by Zuberi »

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 11:56:14 AM »
OK so if instead I cast a vine tree could I then use the spreading vines ability and the one off the newly made vine tree?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »
If you deployed a Vine Tree during the Deployment Phase with your Seedling Pod, you could most definitely spend 1 mana to place a couple of Vine Markers with your Spreading Vines ability. You wouldn't be able to cast anything else with the Vine Tree though.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2013, 01:54:14 AM »
OK thats not want I wanted to hear but I'm not going to play that out now. It sucks I thought I could do something awesome but alas rules are rules

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2013, 02:48:35 AM »
Unfortunately 'Samara Tree' and 'awesome' don't belong in the same sentence. =\

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2013, 03:08:50 AM »
It was going to be awesome but unfortunately the timing is off and I only play Samara tree late game if I'm already ahead and need to use consecutive actions like popping two walls and push push snatch gotcha

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2014, 08:56:07 AM »
To be clear, Seedling Pods are sacrificed as part of the casting of the spell that they cast. So, the seedling pod will be discarded, before the spell it casts resolves.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 09:36:06 AM »
Thank you so much for clarifying this Laddinfance. I know seedling pods haven't been very popular, which is probably why this hasn't been a hot button topic, but I personally thought it was a fascinating question and am glad to have an answer.

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
seeding post can cast its spell in any vine marker?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:55 AM »
Seedling Pods cannot use Vine markers. In the DVN rulebook it covers who can use Vine markers.