April 29, 2024, 10:52:57 AM

Author Topic: Large and Legendary objects in the Arena  (Read 4196 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Large and Legendary objects in the Arena
« on: December 02, 2013, 09:32:44 AM »
So I kind of understand the flavor of the legendary trait to mean that it's one very specific famous character or landmark, and therefore can't exist in more than one place at once.

However, this presents a problem when there is more than one arena in Etheria. For instance, how is it that any warlock is capable of summoning Adramelech in their arena battles? I mean, Adramelech is an evil King, so why would he personally fight for his common servants?

Not to mention, he's huge! Isn't it more likely that the Lord of Fire sends a smaller avatar of himself, one that's small enough to move around the arena more freely?

Speaking of size, how does one fit entire temples in an arena? Just how big are the arenas of Etheria in general? Is the size of objects the mages will cast a factor in choosing an arena for a duel to take place? And how does an Asyran Cleric guard an entire Temple by their lonesome, rather than just the entrance? And when that temple is destroyed but not obliterated, why is there not a huge pile of rubble to climb over?

I feel like all of these huge objects have to be significantly scaled down in size for an arena battle. Perhaps the mages cast smaller versions of the giant objects. It doesn't seem like there's any other way it could work thematically.

Thoughts?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Large and Legendary objects in the Arena
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:23:35 AM »
It could be that the arena itself is enormous.  I'm not sure if an actual size has ever been mentioned.

Or, it could be that it instead of summoning an exact duplicate of the creature/conjuration in question, the mage is instead creating a facsimile based around the essence of the thing.  In the case of something like Adramalech, that essence could still be powerful enough to be on a different level than other summoned creatures and prevent another such essence from being conjured in the same arena.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer

lettucemode

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:50:43 AM »
I think the real answer is "because it's a game".

There will always be discrepancies between a thing you imagine (in this case, a fantasy setting in which the Mage Wars take place) and a simplified representation of that thing (Mage Wars the board game). This is why movies are always inferior representations of books - due to their nature they have to simplify things that the book's author takes time to explain and develop. So it is with Mage Wars.

But maybe you wanted discuss in-lore justifications for the discrepancies. In that case I have nothing to offer  :P

vlad3theimpaler

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:59:20 AM »
I think the real answer is "because it's a game".

There will always be discrepancies between a thing you imagine (in this case, a fantasy setting in which the Mage Wars take place) and a simplified representation of that thing (Mage Wars the board game). This is why movies are always inferior representations of books - due to their nature they have to simplify things that the book's author takes time to explain and develop. So it is with Mage Wars.

But maybe you wanted discuss in-lore justifications for the discrepancies. In that case I have nothing to offer  :P
I'm pretty sure that was what he was looking for.
  • Favourite Mage: Darkfenne Necromancer