April 28, 2024, 09:22:41 PM

Author Topic: Zombies vs Skeleton builds?  (Read 8305 times)

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Zombies vs Skeleton builds?
« on: November 29, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »
I have the Druid v Necromancer set but haven't yet had a chance to try it out. I'm wondering how zombies play vs skeletons...?

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies vs Skeleton builds?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 11:09:47 PM »
Skeletons are more durable and synergize better as control ramping altar of skulls. Zombies are more aggro and can swing the board hard with ziggurat. And the Heroes for each are good with Shaggoth being a total bomb. That's the Cliff's Notes version.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2013, 04:08:04 AM »
I personally like Zombies waaaaaaaaaaaay more. The first reason is Ziggurat of Undeath. The second reason is Zombie Frenzy. The third reason is that all zombies are resilient. (Resilient turned out to be more powerful than I originally though!) The fourth reason is I loooooooove the Zombie Brute and Shaggoth-Zora. Shaggoth-Zora becomes a beast if he gets 2 or more growth tokens.

I actually built a Warlock-Skeleton spellbook recently. Kinda curious to see if it works or not. Will be playing against a Necromancer-Zombie build. Can't wait to have an epic battle between two dark mages  8)
"See you space cowboy..."

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2013, 07:18:04 AM »
Mr. Saucy -- we definitely need an after action report of the necromancer duel.

I managed to get in a partial game last night, Necromancer v Wizard.

A few quick observations:

The Wizard uses a lot of poison effects (Gorgon, Basilisk, mine uses poison gas cloud) which are useless against the Necromancer.

A Deathfang with Eternal servant is an early, potent threat. Mine got on the board early & ate the Gate to Voltari, dying once in the middle of the feast. Fortunately the reanimate ability allowed it to keep the pressure on until the 3 round meal was over (*buuuuurp*)

Eternal Servant is a nice mage ability because it is free.

I'm not sold on the Libro Mortuis. If it channeled faster it might justify its 10 mana but it took 5 turns so spit out a minion. (10 mana + 5 turns to get a 5 casting cost creature is not a good rate, IMO)

While my skeleton dog was rampaging through enemy territory, the wizard was turtling up and I got out an idol of Pestilence, a brace of evil Clerics and Altar of Skulls. We had to end the game before the Altar got going but the prospect of dishing 3 damage to each enemy creature while I was bringing out hordes of cheap baddies warmed my necromancer's cold, rotten heart.

I give Bryan Pope & the folks at Arcane Wonders three thumbs up for this expansion.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2013, 09:33:28 AM »
Yeah, spawnpoints aren't about the mana, they're about getting extra actions. Don't wait for the book to pay for the whole creature, just use it every turn and pay the difference yourself.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »
Did you Harmonize the book?
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2013, 12:26:07 PM »
I give Bryan Pope & the folks at Arcane Wonders three thumbs up for this expansion.

Thank you very much sir! We greatly appreciate it. Bryan and all the playtesters put in a ton of work honing this set and making it as great as it is. Hopefully you'll be as excited about Forged in Flame.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2013, 12:38:00 PM »

Thank you very much sir! We greatly appreciate it. Bryan and all the playtesters put in a ton of work honing this set and making it as great as it is. Hopefully you'll be as excited about Forged in Flame.

Took an extra two months to get the set complete. I hope everybody enjoys all our work.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2013, 01:20:55 PM »
Mr. Saucy -- we definitely need an after action report of the necromancer duel.

I'm not sold on the Libro Mortuis. If it channeled faster it might justify its 10 mana but it took 5 turns so spit out a minion. (10 mana + 5 turns to get a 5 casting cost creature is not a good rate, IMO)

I really like the book a lot. As a Necromancer I try to summon a creature every turn after turn 2. If my book has more channeling (via Harmonize) and I have Death Ring on, my book can summon a Zombie Crawler with just 3 mana on it. On the turns that my book can deploy a creature, I can free up my full action for something other than summoning creatures, such as Zombie Frenzy. Just how I use the book in my games.

I also give Bryan Pope & Arcane Wonders huge praise for this expansion. Both mages are incredibly fun and unique. This expansion blows Warlord vs Forcemaster out of the water!
"See you space cowboy..."

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
Quote from: Shad0w
Took an extra two months to get the set complete. I hope everybody enjoys all our work.
"It will be done when it is done," is the true Tao.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2013, 10:35:01 PM »
Yes -- I revise my hasty opinion about the Libro Mortuos. I used it to pump out a vast quantity of skeletons quickly. So powerful...!

AsianChexMix

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2013, 11:05:04 AM »
I really like the book a lot. As a Necromancer I try to summon a creature every turn after turn 2. If my book has more channeling (via Harmonize) and I have Death Ring on, my book can summon a Zombie Crawler with just 3 mana on it. On the turns that my book can deploy a creature, I can free up my full action for something other than summoning creatures, such as Zombie Frenzy. Just how I use the book in my games.

When do you usually play Libro? Is it situational? For example, how do you survive a rush from BM or any Mage that pressures turn 2?
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock