April 18, 2024, 04:39:46 PM

Author Topic: Taunting a Cleric of Asyra  (Read 3380 times)

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Taunting a Cleric of Asyra
« on: November 25, 2013, 04:55:08 PM »
Quick rules question that came up last night. Sorry if its been hashed out before.

Thorg taunts a Cleric of Asyra who is 1 square away. Does the Cleric move and hit Thorg with a melee, or stay where he is and attack Thorg at range (thereby healing him)? If there's a choice, who decides? Thanks in advance.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
Re: Taunting a Cleric of Asyra
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2013, 05:05:41 PM »
The Cleric's Heal is an ability and not an attack, so he wouldn't be forced to Heal Thorg.

A taunted Cleric would be forced to move in and melee attack him with the melee attack. (and then probably get killed when Thorg hits him with a 5 dice counterattack from his Guard Marker)

diceman

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2013, 05:10:05 PM »
Hmmm, does he really have to move to make a Melee-Attack? I thought, that Taunt works a bit like Bloodlust, and only applies, when the affected creature is in the same zone as the "Taunter".

From the Rules:
Taunted creature must make a melee attack against Sosruko during its next action phase, if able, and if Sosruko is in its zone.

//EDIT:
Sorry, big misunderstanding on my part. I don't have the expansion yet, and I only just read up on that specific Taunt-Ability of Thorg. Didn't knew about the Required to Move-part.
Sorry!
:-[
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 05:18:12 PM by diceman »

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2013, 05:21:35 PM »
Yeah Thorg has his own special "super taunt".

cymyn

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2013, 06:15:20 PM »
The Cleric's Heal is an ability and not an attack, so he wouldn't be forced to Heal Thorg.

A taunted Cleric would be forced to move in and melee attack him with the melee attack. (and then probably get killed when Thorg hits him with a 5 dice counterattack from his Guard Marker)

Ah, that's right. If the ability has a gold bar behind it its an ability vs. a grey bar that is an attack. I forgot about that.

Now, just to follow through on part of my confusion that still remains, I'm wondering how the situation above would be different if the taunted creature had both a melee and ranged attack. Would the owner of the taunted creature make the choice between "move + melee" or "stay put + ranged"?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
The owner of the creature that was taunted would indeed be allowed the choice of which way he'd like to attack Thorg.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 03:05:48 AM »
The owner of the creature that was taunted would indeed be allowed the choice of which way he'd like to attack Thorg.

A relatively easy choice in the world of difficult choices that is Mage Wars.