April 29, 2024, 05:39:12 AM

Author Topic: Movement and planning confusion  (Read 5690 times)

Tellius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Movement and planning confusion
« on: March 14, 2014, 03:25:21 PM »
Hey guys, I have a question, I am new to Mage wars and I have watched so many videos on youtube about the game and two rules seem to be confusing me the most.

The movement rules.

It states a creature must finish all movement before doing any action, this is obvious in one sense that a fast creature cant move, quick attack then move again. I get that, but in terms of the actual mage itself...

Can my Mage use a quick cast action spell , move then do its full action if its casting another quick cast spell?

Also, during planning, do you HAVE to grab a full action spell and a quick action spell?

Can I ready for example two mana flowers, play one with my quick cast action then use my full action marker to play the second? or do I have to use a full action during my full action marker sequence? This brings into the question things like moving and casting an incantation as my full action sequence..

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Movement and planning confusion
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 03:46:29 PM »
Important: Anytime before or after a friendly creature’s Action
Phase, your Mage can use his special quickcast action. See
“Quickcast Action”

Quickcast ACTION
A quickcast action is a special action that only a Mage may take during a round, in addition to his regular actions
during his Action Phase. This action can only be used to cast one quick spell (a spell with the quick action symbol).

You can use your quickcast action at three times during the Action Stage:
• During the First Quickcast Phase
• Immediately before or after any creature
you control takes its Action Phase
• During the Final Quickcast Phase

When you take a quickcast action, flip your quickcast marker face down and play any quick spell you have
prepared for this round. Using a quickcast action and his regular action, your Mage can cast two
spells in the same round!

Examples: The Beastmaster could use an Action Phase to activate his Timber Wolf to go on guard, then afterwards use his quickcast action to enchant his Feral Bobcat. The Wizard could use his quickcast action to cast his quick attack spell “Arcane Zap”, printed on his ability card. This special attack counts as a quick spell. Afterwards, he could use his normal Action Phase to cast another spell.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Tellius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:54:15 PM »
So I could, in theory, ready a battle fury, during my full action phase, move my mage into range of my create then use a quick action of casting battle fury to pump my creture?

Back to moving. Can I cast Battlefury on a creature in range, then move my mage? (this is where the rules are confusing me, i never asked about when i can or can not use quick action spells, I know that stuff.

Thanks though for responding, but your resposne is not relating to my actual question :(

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »
So I could, in theory, ready a battle fury, during my full action phase, move my mage into range of my create then use a quick action of casting battle fury to pump my creture?

Back to moving. Can I cast Battlefury on a creature in range, then move my mage? (this is where the rules are confusing me, i never asked about when i can or can not use quick action spells, I know that stuff.

Thanks though for responding, but your resposne is not relating to my actual question :(

I am going to post a few rules questions. See if you can tell what the correct answer is. Yes at the end your question will be answered.  ???
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:34:46 PM by Shad0w »
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2014, 04:33:37 PM »
Two are of these are legal plays.

1: Mage X - Casts BF, Moves, QCs quick melee attack

2: Mage X - Moves,  quick melee attack, QCs BF

3: Mage X - QCs BF, quick melee attack, move

4: Mage X - QCs BF, move, quick melee attack

Will add more later but done at office so I gtg soon.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:42:26 PM by Shad0w »

Tellius

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2014, 04:42:41 PM »
2 & 4?

kailas

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2014, 04:44:13 PM »
The half of full action, is always a move action, you decide if you want to move, the second half you can cast a quick spell, attack, guard or move again. So you cannot move after attack or guard. Unless  you cast or attack with with full action spell or attack(then you cannot move at all)

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2014, 05:39:10 PM »
I might be repeating others:

Action marker can do 1 of the following:

Do nothing.
or
Take a full action. (can be casting a full action spell (hourglass vs lightning symbol) or a full attack or something else full action like meditation amulet ability.
or
Take a quick action. (quick spell, guard, quick attack or whatever quick action there might be - could be drinking from the renewing spring.
or
Take a move action followed by a quick action. (could be: move & quick attack or move & guard or move & quickcast or move & move)

Quickcast marker can only do this:
Quickcast allows the mage to cast a quickspell before or after a friendly creatures action phase.

It doesnt matter you choose to cast before or after your mage or your summoned creature... and it doesnt matter if the mage moved 0, 1 or 2 with his action marker
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 05:41:29 PM by jacksmack »

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2014, 06:20:42 PM »
1 is not just incorrect. It doesn't exist. You can't qc a MELEE attack
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
I tend to explain creature actions this way to new players. Think of each creature action as having three steps.

Step One: Activate the Creature (flip the action marker over).
Step Two: Move the creature if desired.
Step Three: Take an action. You may only take a full action if you did NOT move.

Every creature has only one action marker, including your mage. Therefore, each creature only gets to take one action on their turn, which occurs in Step Three listed above.

In addition to the action markers, your mage has a Quick Cast marker. This is NOT the same thing. The Quick Cast marker allows you to cast a single quick action spell. It doesn't do anything else. You may use the Quick Cast marker during either of the two Quick Cast Phases, or before or after ANY friendly creature's action.

You can thus use the Quick Cast marker even if you aren't taking any actions with your mage that turn. You may be using a Knight instead. However, you must use the Quick Cast marker either before or after the creature acts. You can not use it during the creature's action. For example, you can not move, Quick Cast, and then guard. You could however, move, guard, and then Quick Cast.

This has hopefully answered your first question, but if not I will be more explicit. Yes, you may use your Quick Cast marker and then take an action with your mage (Activate, Move, do a Quick Action) as you described.

As for your second question, you may choose ANY two spells you wish during the planning stage. These may both be quick action spells. They may also both be full action spells if you wish, but if you choose two full action spells you will only be able to cast one of them during the round. So it would be an either/or scenario. However, that is perfectly legal. Whatever you wish to pull out.

Tauwolf

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
I tend to explain creature actions this way to new players. Think of each creature action as having three steps.

Step One: Activate the Creature (flip the action marker over).
Step Two: Move the creature if desired.
Step Three: Take an action. You may only take a full action if you did NOT move.

Every creature has only one action marker, including your mage. Therefore, each creature only gets to take one action on their turn, which occurs in Step Three listed above.

In addition to the action markers, your mage has a Quick Cast marker. This is NOT the same thing. The Quick Cast marker allows you to cast a single quick action spell. It doesn't do anything else. You may use the Quick Cast marker during either of the two Quick Cast Phases, or before or after ANY friendly creature's action.

You can thus use the Quick Cast marker even if you aren't taking any actions with your mage that turn. You may be using a Knight instead. However, you must use the Quick Cast marker either before or after the creature acts. You can not use it during the creature's action. For example, you can not move, Quick Cast, and then guard. You could however, move, guard, and then Quick Cast.

Excellent explanation!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 04:27:50 PM »
1 is not just incorrect. It doesn't exist. You can't qc a MELEE attack
took long enough 8)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2014, 04:29:32 PM »
Well busy all weekend so next thing will be Monday

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 03:09:56 AM »
Excellent explanation!

Thank you, Tauwolf. I am honored that your first post on these forums was praise for something I wrote. Welcome to the arena! I would like to also give praise for everyone who answered the question before me, though. My post was basically just summarizing what everyone else had said and the rules in general. It was meant more to provide everything Tellius was needing in a single post rather than adding anything new itself. Everything I said had pretty much been covered already.