March 28, 2024, 07:56:19 AM

Author Topic: How to effectively use the Force Master?  (Read 22859 times)

The Dude

• Hitchhiker of sorts
  • Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
  • It's like... good gracious...bodacious.
    • View Profile
Re: How to effectively use the Force Master?
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 07:16:47 PM »
Well, man, I have to disagree with the whole "Singularity in Forcemaster" thing. First off, mana siphon is Arcane. Second off, Singularity means Black Hole, you know, for those "justin case" moments. Third off, I have this mana denial FM that I have not seen done well yet, and it's rocking booties. Every mage has it's creative side, absolutely every mage. Some ideas may not work, but there is never a lack of them, even though she was traditionally designed was specifically linear, The Forcemaster has an incredible amount of depth. Even more so now that Catdog was neutered (of course, for those not in the know, I do mean Hands of Bim and Battle Fury). For those of you still not in the know, I strongly urge you to stop reading, get on youtube, and listen to "Tom Ford" by Jay-z, followed by "Great Gig in The Sky" by Pink Floyd, rounded off with "Ramble On" by Led Zeppelin. Not for any real reason, they are just incredible tracks to listen to. In anycase, FM can get crazy, yo.

But be careful, man. There's a beverage here.

Dude.
  • Favourite Mage: Johktari Beastmaster
Always carry a towel...

Qube

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2013, 11:38:37 PM »
Hero,

I would consider including mongoose agility in the book you posted.  Also, if you are worried about golems, include some lightning spells.  I really like circle of lightning, if I'm making a standard 'supercombatant' style FM.

If you wanted to try a (slightly) different angle, you could try adding a temple of the dawnbreaker, defense ring, etc.

HERO

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »
I'm wondering out there, for the playtesters who tested the product, but what is the purpose of the Invisible Stalker?  Seems overpriced and largely useless.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
How to effectively use the Force Master?
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 12:19:38 PM »
Huh? What's useless about invisible stalker? Its invisibility trait prevents it from being targeted while it's invisible. Using its attack after your opponents' creatures are all done acting during a round with their initiative allows you to keep laying on the hurt on your opponent and using your mage actions for something else, like putting a nullify or block on yourself. You could also quick cast a block or nullify onto the stalker after it's used its attack.

Additionally, if you summon stalker early in a game against a mage that needs more time to setup, it can force them to deal with it first, which can be useful if you need some time to setup before going after the mage.

While admittedly the forcemaster doesn't need much time to setup, she needs to go after the other mage quickly to keep them from setting up on her or going after her first. Summoning an invisible stalker is a very useful way to stall your opponent for a short while while you put down a couple zone-exclusive conjurations, like battle forge, mordok's obelisk, Hand of Bim-Shalla, suppression orb or enchanter's wardstone.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:25:11 PM by Imaginator »
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 12:44:06 PM »
Stalker is still vulnerable to aoe attacks

Wildhorn

• Superior artificial brain, feel free to call me Blaine.
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • Mage Wars Quebec
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:20 PM »
Stalker is still vulnerable to aoe attacks

Yes but aoe rarelly does alot of damage and are mana costly and will hurt your own creature/conjuration

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »
I think it is priced about right for the initial cast, I just feel it doesn't need the Upkeep Cost. Compared to similar cost creatures, it has an average attack and half the Life. Being Incorporeal and Invisible makes up for the low life and lack of armor though. Your opponent will probably have more creatures than you, meaning even if you delay as long as you can, he'll still be able to swing with one creature after you swing with the stalker. Still, he doesn't have to survive as many attacks as other creatures might. If the attack is ethereal though, it is going to hurt.

All of that seems to balance out. Average attack and average survivability for his cost. However, then we tack on the facts that he can not benefit from most of the enchantments in the game AND I have to pay Upkeep +1 each round? That makes him an inferior creature to me. If I could buff him up with my enchants, then I would simply equip a psi-orb and call things good. He'd see some use for me. As is though, I'd rather have other critters.

HERO

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 01:59:22 PM »
I think it is priced about right for the initial cast, I just feel it doesn't need the Upkeep Cost. Compared to similar cost creatures, it has an average attack and half the Life. Being Incorporeal and Invisible makes up for the low life and lack of armor though. Your opponent will probably have more creatures than you, meaning even if you delay as long as you can, he'll still be able to swing with one creature after you swing with the stalker. Still, he doesn't have to survive as many attacks as other creatures might. If the attack is ethereal though, it is going to hurt.

All of that seems to balance out. Average attack and average survivability for his cost. However, then we tack on the facts that he can not benefit from most of the enchantments in the game AND I have to pay Upkeep +1 each round? That makes him an inferior creature to me. If I could buff him up with my enchants, then I would simply equip a psi-orb and call things good. He'd see some use for me. As is though, I'd rather have other critters.

Exactly, there's no way to make him better.  For the FM, a Grizzly with enchants is infinitely more useful.  Same with the Vampire, or Brogan.  If you're casting for 15 mana + spending upkeep, the creature better be good.  In this case, he's not, not even close.  The only thing he offers is that he costs 5 points to put in the spellbook.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 02:42:41 PM »
My issues with the Invisible Stalker are that he's actually considerably less tough than a similarly costed creature in several matchups (Wizard in particular can kill him with just a few Arcane Zaps), You can't buff him, 5 dice is not enough to force much of a reaction (once your opponent has 2-3 armor they can often get away with ignoring him), and he has upkeep without getting a discount on his initial cost. Any one of those issues wouldn't necessarily prevent me from playing him, but all together I just don't see a lot of point. Whenever I look at him, I can't help comparing him to Whirling Spirit, and I much prefer Whirling Spirit (though not for the Forcemaster in particular).
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2013, 03:29:57 PM »
Sdougla2 writes the truth.

Again

aquestrion

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 01:17:00 AM »
This is the core of my book

1 adramolcoh LOF
1 necro vamp
1 thoughtspore
1 force push
1 harmonize
1 battle fury
1 whirling strike
1 mongoose agility
1 evade
1 bear str
1 power strike
1 piercing strike
1 perfect strike
3 falcon perscision
2 cheetah speed
1 galvitar
2 force field
4 block
1 rouse the beast
4 teleport

Turn 1 harmonize thought spore bind force push
Turn 2 double move both to near center cast block on thoughtspore
Turn 3 prep both ADDY and NV play Addy if they don't react or turtle if they play anything that's scary play nv and save mana. Thought spore push closer/draw out a nullify or revise magic... force pull them closer and QC cheetah speed on Addy. addy smash face. Repeat as needed.

Some mages like to wear eagle claw boots so don't use thought spore unless you think they used nullify...even with boots on they still have to reveal the enchant. Pull addy/NV into a direction that they can cheetah speed into. From the center zone you can hit anywear on the board. If you think they put up block use mage to melee first. If needed block with thoughtspore. He reveals block and then he fly's again.

I choose adramoloch because he stacks burns and he has sweeping option. He is immune to his own attack and he is immune to walls. Using battle fury on him or whirling strikes so he can deal with swarms.

Problems with loaf FM

1 if adramoloch or nv dies you need to pack a resurection or 2. You have very little options to stall out a game so kill the op fast.
3 this is a reaction deck try to utilize the final QC as much as possible.
4 swarms cripple your ability to swing big so keep a circle on you
5 stun decks lock you down
There is little healing in this deck so pack a steal enchant and steal equipment to take advantage away from op.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2013, 06:58:47 PM »
Forcemaster
47 spells, 120 spell points

1 Battle Forge
2 Battle Fury
2 Bear Strength
1 Brogan Bloodstone
1 Charm
1 Cheetah Speed
1 Colossus Belt
2 Dispel
2 Dissolve
1 Eagleclaw Boots
1 Elemental Cloak
1 Falcon Precision
1 Force Crush
1 Forcefield
2 Force Hold
3 Force Push
1 Force Ring
1 Galvitar, Force Blade
1 Gauntlets of Strength
1 Hand of Bim-Shalla
2 Mage Wand
1 Mind Control
1 Mordok's Obelisk
2 Piercing Strike
1 Psi-Orb
2 Regrowth
3 Sleep
1 Suppression Orb
2 Surging Wave
2 Teleport
2 Thoughtspore
1 Vampirism

I tend not to like the Mind Control + Mordok's Obelisk combination very much. It's 1/12 of your total spellbook and isn't effective against too many things (notably golem pit or undead via the Necromancer).

I'd suggest a 3rd Dispel and a Steal Equipment. I also don't see any Decoys or Seeking Dispels in there, so I'd put in a Decoy at least. I'm also not seeing any Nullifies... I like at least 2 per book.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 11:01:18 AM »
You could also quick cast a block or nullify onto the stalker after it's used its attack.

why noone commented on this, i saw this, saw stalker in a new way, wow it wont get attacked if i cast block all the time,  and then, boom, he is incoporeal, you cant cast block on it..

im sad again.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 11:03:02 AM »
Check the timestamp that comment is 5 years old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

• Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Grimstringer

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 11:27:58 AM »
Check the timestamp that comment is 5 years old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

i know, no rulings changed since then though, i was searching for comments on the forcemaster