April 28, 2024, 02:54:39 PM

Author Topic: Small house rule to discourage rush strategies.  (Read 5031 times)

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Small house rule to discourage rush strategies.
« on: November 04, 2013, 06:58:55 PM »
Hi all.

So, rush builds seem to be king atm, and the DvN expansion does not look to be changing this.  Some people are fine with that, and this idea isn't directed at those people.  Some people dislike that, and for various reasons; here's my idea of a house rule that might mitigate this a bit:

During the first round of the game, no creature can leave their corner zone for any reason.

I see one major flaw with this idea: the Divine-Intervention'd Big Creature tactic still works.  So something would have to be done about that as well; perhaps make Divine Intervention's target Mage Only, or have a less disruptive additional house rule that Divine Intervention cannot be revealed until the third (or even fourth!) round.

I'm posting this because I'm curious what the community thinks.  Would this bring back non-rush strategies, as I think it would?  Would it make spawnpoints more attractive, since you have more time to recover from the initial investment?  Would it hurt rush strategies *too* much?

What do you think?

--IndyPendant

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Small house rule to discourage rush strategies.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 02:57:15 AM »
Indy, firstly House Rules have to be something that all players know and agree to before spellbook construction.

I think Rush needs to remain a viable strategy. You can "run out of the steam" and watch the game slip away as the opponent stabilises. I think your suggestion breaks the balance between Rush, Mid Range, Turtle, Control etc too much. By spending actions closing distance between mages (someone called it "the bubble"), Rush is trading action resource for momentum. There exists a delicate balance.

Also the Divine Intervention rules is a clunky extra rule (you just need to handle an isolated Big - Sleep?).

If the issue is players are afraid of using Spawnpoints and going Mid Range because of Rush , then how about this House Rule?

"Creatures that enter play during Deployment come into play with a guard marker"

Whatever you come up with, I suggest you (slightly) upgrade what's not working rather than make a big rule change like that. Good lucjk!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 03:02:57 AM by DeckBuilder »
It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 06:15:45 AM »
I would try building an anti-rush book before you go and make house rules.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 07:49:25 AM »
Since when did any 1 use divine intervention (revealing it) in round 1???

when that is said i wouldnt participate in a game with such houserules.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2013, 08:24:14 AM »
Since when did any 1 use divine intervention (revealing it) in round 1???

when that is said i wouldnt participate in a game with such houserules.

It was an old trick that has since proven to be ineffective.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2013, 10:06:01 AM »
So, rush builds seem to be king atm, and the DvN expansion does not look to be changing this.

I really don't think you can assert this. Both the Druid and the Necromancer seem built with a slower strategy in mind. Especially the Druid. It seems to me that there will be a shift with this expansion away from rush to some extent.

IndyPendant

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 05:43:04 PM »
Heh.  Well, I wasn't all that certain about this house rule myself.  Since my feedback so far seems to entirely consist of "uhm, *bad idea*", I'll let it go then. ; )

Thanks!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 06:31:51 AM »
Indy why not start a thread in the strategy section of the forums about ways to fight against rush builds ;)

Hint if you can think of openings that give you trouble list them.