May 02, 2024, 04:13:08 AM

Author Topic: Swapping Mages  (Read 3020 times)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
Swapping Mages
« on: October 11, 2013, 05:54:16 PM »
I know that there's nothing preventing me from doing this casually, but I'm curious about in an official tournament or something. Is there any rule preventing you from using one Mage Card with a differen't mage's Stat Card?

For instance, I have a friend who likes playing with the regular Beastmaster Stats, but uses the Johktari Beastmaster Mage Card (because she is herself female, but prefers the Quick Summoning and Pet abilities).

In an even more divergent example, I am considering making an unholy priest by using the Priest Mage Card with the Warlock Stat Card. I know that if I did this, I would essentially be making a Warlock Spellbook and would have to follow all the rules that apply to any other Warlock build. The only thing I'm really changing is how my mage LOOKS on the board to the image of a Priest. But, would such a book be legal to use in a Tournament?

On one hand, it doesn't actually affect how your books is built or played so I see no reason why it should be banned. On the other hand, I could understand it causing confusion for the other players who might not pay too much attention to what Stat Card you're using.
-------------------------------------
As a bonus Noob question, would anyone mind telling me what in the world "Meta" means? I see it tossed around on these forums a little, and I have no clue what exactly they are talking about.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
Re: Swapping Mages
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 06:43:13 PM »
I seem to remember that before Conquest came out, someone official said that the official procedure was going to be that first you revealed one card, then you revealed the other. But I don't think that ever made it into any published rules, and I'm not sure if it was art first then rules, or rules first then art.

As to your second question, meta is short for "metagame" which is a jargony word meaning "the game above the game" but could just as easily be called the "strategic environment", or the "likely competition".

The word comes from competitive games with tournament play, and I first heard it in Magic the Gathering. There it describes the most popular decks people are likely to play. If your deck can beat the meta, you are in a good position to compete, even if your deck would normally have trouble against a general field.

Conversely, if your deck is powerful in many different matchups against many different styles of deck, but has an unusual and specific weakness to the most popular deck in the format, then your otherwise excellent deck just isn't right for that specific metagame.

I've been criticized by a friend for using the word,  so I've been trying to use it less, but sometimes I just want a succinct description that means "the overall population of spellbook strategies that I'm likely to encounter in competitive play at this time."

To give you a practical example, at the moment, the meta is filled with Wizards and not a lot of Priestesses. Newer players always seem drawn to Beastmaster, but your most dangerous opponents will likely have Wizard's Tower, so when designing your book, consider attackers with high piercing and  how to deal with high channeling, and (for now) don't worry too much about getting swarmed as long as you have a good range 2 attacker to pick off any weenie strategies.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:18:40 PM by ringkichard »
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:18:21 PM »
ring got the meta at the tourney level, but there is also your local meta. Typically you will play games against the same player(s) and develop your deck with them in mind. You might find that it dominates your local scene (meta) but pull it out for a tourney or play on OCTGN with someone from Germany and find that your Mage and Spellbook get demolished.

Hope this helps...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »
Thank you guys for answering my "Meta" question. Ring's response has me hopeful that my Unholy Priest idea would be allowed outside of my gaming group but I still would like an official answer about it before I try it.

I'm going try to attend the Mace Convention in Charlotte NC next month and see about entering their tournament. Not certain if I'll have the time or funds to do so yet, but I'd like to have something prepared if I do.

haslo

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, 05:35:27 AM »
I know that there's nothing preventing me from doing this casually, but I'm curious about in an official tournament or something. Is there any rule preventing you from using one Mage Card with a differen't mage's Stat Card?
Technically, the rulebook says that "Each Mage comes with his own matching Ability Card" (page 31), and for building decks you use "Your Mage’s ability card" (page 35). So if you use another mage's art card, you're technically using the wrong abilitiy card, not the wrong mage card (because choosing the mage comes first, and the ability card goes with it).

I think an opponent could easily be misled by the wrong mage card, so I'd be surprised if it was tournament legal.

But you're right, nothing stops you from doing that in casual games. Personally, I'd insist on knowing what mage it is that your card represents, but as far as I'm concerned, my casual opponent can use minis or spoons or whatever if it makes them happy  :P

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2013, 11:58:08 AM »
Haslo

Currently there is nothing wrong with using using the alt ability in tourneies. First you annonce your mage the announce your ability card. This is all done before the first turn in the match so it should not change how you play.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage