April 29, 2024, 07:29:25 AM

Author Topic: Dispel Wand "look"  (Read 3067 times)

xFWx_FIREBIRD

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Dispel Wand "look"
« on: September 28, 2013, 01:24:47 AM »
Dispel Wand's 2nd effect says to look at a hidden enchantment. What if you target a Mandatory Enchantment with Dispel Wand? Is "look" different from "reveal"?

Ex: Priestess uses Dispel Wand to look at a target Hidden Enchantment that was cast by opponent Warlock last round. When she resolves the spell she finds that it's a Mandatory Hellfire Trap Enchantment. Does she (A) put it back facedown, or (B) Mandatory trap was "revealed", therefore it's destroyed?

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Dispel Wand "look"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:20:26 AM »
My understanding is "looked at" is not the same as "must reveal". Anyone else?

I see your confusion and this deserves addition to the FAQ. More is more (as long as it is logically ordered).

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

wtcannonjr

• Ambassador of Wychwood
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
    • WBC Mage Wars Tournament
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 07:53:01 AM »
I don't understand the question. The Dispel Want ability on the card states "Then leave it face down after looking".

The rules to trigger a Mandatory Reveal don't happen. i.e. The ability on an Equipment spell is NOT an Incantation spell, Enchantment spell or Attack spell unless it is written as such.

• Favourite Mage: Wychwood Druid
"Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced." - James Baldwin

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 08:58:56 AM »
"Reveal" is a rules keyword that flips the Enchantment face up and triggers it's rules text. "Look" is English for "read the underside".
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

xFWx_FIREBIRD

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 04:03:49 PM »
I don't understand the question. The Dispel Want ability on the card states "Then leave it face down after looking".

The rules to trigger a Mandatory Reveal don't happen. i.e. The ability on an Equipment spell is NOT an Incantation spell, Enchantment spell or Attack spell unless it is written as such.

wtcannonjr,
The question derives from the rules. The rules state how when a Mandatory Enchantment is revealed, if the conditions are not met then it is destroyed (page 19 paragraph 3, OR page 20 paragraph 1).

If the Dispel Wand's 2nd effect to "look at hidden enchantment" causes it to be revealed, then it would be destroyed.

For the record, I do believe that look is different than reveal, but I don't want to find out the hard way in a tournament that look=reveal!!!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 08:44:20 PM »

wtcannonjr,
The question derives from the rules. The rules state how when a Mandatory Enchantment is revealed, if the conditions are not met then it is destroyed (page 19 paragraph 3, OR page 20 paragraph 1).

If the Dispel Wand's 2nd effect to "look at hidden enchantment" causes it to be revealed, then it would be destroyed.

For the record, I do believe that look is different than reveal, but I don't want to find out the hard way in a tournament that look=reveal!!!

Look does not = reveal
Look = only the player using the effect may see the the face down card thus not causing the card to be revealed.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage