March 29, 2024, 12:39:15 AM

Author Topic: "deals damage" & "damage"  (Read 2707 times)

xFWx_FIREBIRD

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
"deals damage" & "damage"
« on: September 28, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »
Cards that say deals damage or damages:
I've always assumed that "does damage" meant the "Damage and Effects step" of an Attack.

For clarification, does Chain Lightning's ability "Each time Chain Lightning damages a target" mean that it has to incur loss of health, or does it simply mean that if dice are rolled and the Damage and Effects step occurs (even if no hits were made) that it does damage?

DeckBuilder

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: "deals damage" & "damage"
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:21:57 AM »
My interpretation of "deals damage" is inflict 1 or more wound markers, not "deal damage phase". Anyone else?

I see your confusion and this deserves addition to the FAQ. More is more (as long as it is logically ordered).

It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye. And then it's just fun.

sdougla2

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 02:33:39 AM »
Chain Lightning actually needs to deal damage (put damage on the target), not just have a damage and effect step.
  • Favourite Mage: Straywood Beastmaster

xFWx_FIREBIRD

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 03:49:22 PM »
My interpretation of "deals damage" is inflict 1 or more wound markers, not "deal damage phase". Anyone else?

I see your confusion and this deserves addition to the FAQ. More is more (as long as it is logically ordered).

DeckBuilder,
Yeah, I can easily see both sides of this point and that's the only reason I am so concerned!!

Another example:
Mana Drain = "If this attack damages an enemy creature..."
So does this mean if you roll dice and go through the Damage and Effects step, you have done damage? Or do you literally have to cause damage by placing damage markers on them?

Chain Lightning actually needs to deal damage (put damage on the target), not just have a damage and effect step.

sdougla2,
I agree. This is more thematic, but I can see how the Design intentions (for the purposes of mitigating randomness in dice rolling) it would simply be the Damage and Effects step!

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 08:57:26 PM »
 Dealing damage after counting all + and - effects and armor put at least 1 damage token on the target.

"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage