April 19, 2024, 03:29:05 AM

Author Topic: Necromancer's Eternal Servant and Zombie Questions  (Read 3636 times)

HomelessJoe

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Necromancer's Eternal Servant and Zombie Questions
« on: September 27, 2013, 10:40:10 AM »
Though you may have my questions covered in the expansions rule book I would very much like to hit the ground rolling. So I thought I would shoot for a before release expansion clarification.

1) After I turn an 'alive' creature into a zombie, will I then be able to transform that now zombie into an eternal servant?

1) Will I be able to zombify unmoving 'alive' objects such as the vine wall? If I am able to transform the Druid's plant life into zombies I would think this would also apply.

Thank you

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer's Eternal Servant and Zombie Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 12:15:55 PM »
Hi There HomelessJoe!

1)  YES!  If you bring an undead creature into play, such as reanimating it and making a Living creature into a Zombie with the Ziggurat of Undeath, you can make it your Undying Servant.  However, when a creature with a Zombie marker on it is destroyed, they are Obliterated (removed from the game).  SO the Undying Servant marker won't allow them to Reanimate yet again.  The marker will just help their attacks gain "Piercing +1".

2)  NO.  Reanimating creatures as zombies works only on creatures, not conjurations.  We tried hard with this set to define, and draw a line, between what is a creature and what is a conjuration.  With Plants, that line was a fine one!   :)

HomelessJoe

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 05:34:18 PM »
Thank you so much Arcanus for replying so quickly.

It seems that being unable to zombify or reanimate any plant/vine would make it a very weak choice against the Druid, who will most likely have a plant/vine based build. I believe the Raptor is so far the only card released that the Necro could turn.

In that same light the Necro's graveyard is essentially useless when combating a Druid plant build.

Unless I see something that totally flips this on it's ear I'm pretty sure i'll just bring out my Warlock build if i'm going up against a Druid. Which I find to be a shame. The single greatest thing about Mage Wars is the flexibility to challenge any mage type without one having a huge advantage before the game begins.

Regardless, this is and always be an amazing game. I still have faith and hope to see what will happen.

Arcanus

• Administrator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »
Thanks Homeless Joe!

Creature-wise, the Druid has the following creatures which could be "turned"; Vine Snapper, Tataree, Thornlasher, Togorah, and Raptor Vine.  Kralathor is Epic, and cannot be turned into a zombie, else he would be a great choice.

Your idea of using the Warlock is very good - all plants have a weakness against Flame and he has a nice advantage in that respect.  However, she has a number of ways to deal with Burn - including Renewing Rain and Mohktari's Branch.  We've done a lot of tests against a Warlock build.  Despite her flame weakness - she is very hard to "finish off".  Her Lifebond trait (which is acquired when she uses her Treebond ability), combined with the tree's natural regeneration ability, and her own, makes her an extremely difficult foe to finish off.  In playtesting I found myself playing against her a lot just to see how in the world do you take her out!
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 08:31:23 PM by Arcanus »

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:09:12 PM »
Did those of you playing at home catch all the cards we haven't spoiled yet that Arcanus mentioned? So many good previews still coming.