April 27, 2024, 11:04:57 PM

Author Topic: Is there any love for warlord?  (Read 65159 times)

krj

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any love for warlord?
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »
I do agree with this man: sdougla2 :D

Quibleon

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 29, 2013, 05:01:51 PM »
Hello, again, guys.

This thread might not be the perfect one for this kind of question or subject, but what do you guys think about the Warlord in team battles [2x2]? My friends and I have a copy of the game, and we are just waiting for the last 2 expansions to arrive [we live in Brazil]. Howerver, we play solely for fun, not competitively, specially because there is no competitive scene here [yet] adn everything must be imported [at very expensive mailing cost, I add]. So we play using the suggested spellbooks. However, my team seems to be in some bad disadvantage because I keep on using the Warlord, and his lack of utility spells, low channeling combined with either costly or mediocre spells and simply not very usefull enchantments makes it very hard to beat the other team [specially because I always get targeted by that hateful Mana Siphon, crippling even further my already depleted mana]. I realize spawn points are not so usefull as I had thought when first seing them, specially the Barracs, but still, the beastmaster can quickly swarm the field, summoning up to 3 creatures each round and make our lives [mine and my partner's] a living hell, specially with the mocking after their win! However, I do NOT want to stop playing the Warlord, so I would like some advice in strategy, rather than in spellbook construction, as we do not personalize them.

Thank you all in advance for your help.

ChimpZilla

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2013, 11:24:51 PM »
Any love or the warlord went to promos. The mage is fine, but he could have used utility like critical strike, ballista, Minotaur, akiro's favor, morning star, and vorpal blade. As it was, those we're put on the cutting room floor to make room for Earth spells so now it's a matter waiting for the next expansion.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »
Although I play a lot of team games, nobody in my local meta plays the Warlord and none of us play the default spellbooks. Still, I want to help you if I can. Looking over the Warlord starter book though, I am not encouraged. It is missing a lot of good spells. Here are my thoughts with what you do have to work with though:

1) You should rush. You have nothing in your book to increase your channeling and you start with low channeling to begin with. From your description, it sounds like your opponents will quickly out pace you in the game of build up if you let them. I would recommend getting out Sir Corazin and getting him across the board as quick as possible. Maybe your ally can support you with a teleport or a push.

2) Sweep away the trash. Sir Corazin and the Dwarf Kriegsbiel's are your best option to combat a swarm. Their sweeping attacks will hopefully clear the field.

3) Beatdown. If you equip your sledge you will have a dang good sweeping attack yourself to combat the swarm and something to do while you lament your lack of mana. If you spend every round making an attack, you only have to worry about funding one spell per round.

4) Work with your team mate. I don't know what they are playing, or if teams ever change, but you should come up with a strategy together and see it through together.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2013, 01:34:01 AM »
Warlord isn't my favorite, but I actually like him quite a bit. He has very powerful creatures like Dwarf Kriegsbiel, Iron Golem, Sir Corazin, and Thorg. (The use of Earth Elemental is debatable. I always include him for the "wow factor".) Contrary to what most people seem to use, I ditch Horn of Gothos nowadays and stick to the Warlords sweeping hammer. Sweeping really saves your a** in swarm matchups. Helm of Command + Battle Fury can be devastating, and I like Fortified Position quite a bit.

But that triple arcane cost. 6 spellpoints to include 1 Teleport? I shudder...

The Warlord was packaged as a swarm mage when he is anything but a swarm mage. I think a lot of people were instantly disappointed by the Warlord because of this. Hopefully people realize now that the Warlord's started spellbook was atrocious and that the best way to use the Warlord is NOT with a swarm strategy.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 02:43:36 PM by MrSaucy »
"See you space cowboy..."

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2013, 03:31:48 AM »
Warlord isn't my favorite, but I actually like him quite a bit. He has very powerful creatures like Dwarf Kriegsbiel, Iron Golem, Sir Corazin, and Thorg. (The use of Earth Elemental is debatable. I always include him for the "wow factor".) Contrary to what most people seem to use, I ditch Horn of Gothos nowadays and stick to the Warlords sweeping hammer. Sweeping really saves your a** in swarm matchups. Helm of Command + Battle Fury can be devastating, and I like Fortified Position quite a bit.

But that triple arcane cost. 6 mana to include 1 Teleport? I shudder...

The Warlord was packaged as a swarm mage when he is anything but a swarm mage. I think a lot of people were instantly disappointed by the Warlord because of this. Hopefully people realize now that the Warlord's started spellbook was atrocious and that the best way to use the Warlord is NOT with a swarm strategy.

I also think that the hammer is better than the horn. However, I know that the Hammer also compares unfavourably to almost all other weapons, just by virtue of it being two-handed. Almost no one will use it after the one-handed War weapons are released.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »
I agree, the hammer compares unfavorably to other weapons and I fear it is likely to decline in favor as more products are released. If it was 1-handed it would be one of the best weapons. But by being 2-handed it prevents you from using either the Horn or a Wand currently, and in the future will prevent the use of other spells such as Shields (making an assumption that Shields will eventually be released as that is the name applied to one of the equipment locations).

Of course, they could release spells that balance this out, so making assumptions is probably not a good idea. They could have enchantments that specifically affect 2-handed weapons for instance. Who knows?

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2013, 10:20:44 AM »
I agree, the hammer compares unfavorably to other weapons and I fear it is likely to decline in favor as more products are released. If it was 1-handed it would be one of the best weapons. But by being 2-handed it prevents you from using either the Horn or a Wand currently, and in the future will prevent the use of other spells such as Shields (making an assumption that Shields will eventually be released as that is the name applied to one of the equipment locations).

Of course, they could release spells that balance this out, so making assumptions is probably not a good idea. They could have enchantments that specifically affect 2-handed weapons for instance. Who knows?

There is a spiked shield promo card, so yes shields are totally planned.

MrSaucy

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2013, 02:42:06 PM »

There is a spiked shield promo card, so yes shields are totally planned.

Sweet!  :)
"See you space cowboy..."