April 28, 2024, 08:31:31 PM

Author Topic: The fabled Watergate Wizard  (Read 33537 times)

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
Re: The fabled Watergate Wizard
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2013, 10:17:18 AM »
^ I hear ya- When I got my VT for MtG- Players would drop out because I forgot to hit the macro to move to the next phase- (Like if I draw during the upkeep phase I broke the game!)

But MW fans are so nice- I wouldn't worry about it!
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
I did download and install the OCTGN client and card packs.  I should really try that sometime.  Getting a real game in with my mentor wold be kind of cool, even if the Dark Destroyer destroys me.  That is a valuable lesson.

Honestly it is the interface thing that has been holding me back, but I guess you have to play a game or two to figure it out.  I just hate to hold people up or be that "slow" one  :o

Thats really no prob. You might want to watch the beginners guide video before your first game to quicken it up:
http://www.twitch.tv/charmyna/c/2789301
But, even if u dont, most MW Octgn players dont mind explaining stuff since they are happy you joined the community :).

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2013, 10:34:07 AM »
I did download and install the OCTGN client and card packs.  I should really try that sometime.  Getting a real game in with my mentor wold be kind of cool, even if the Dark Destroyer destroys me.  That is a valuable lesson.

Honestly it is the interface thing that has been holding me back, but I guess you have to play a game or two to figure it out.  I just hate to hold people up or be that "slow" one  :o

Honestly, this has been an issue for me too.  I have kind of an "interfaceophobia" ;)  I know that my first games will be slow and cumbersome and probably annoying to my opponent, and I also know that it will probably be a big distraction for me so that I play very poorly (this game is very mental after all).  I need to just get it over with so that I feel comfortable with the interface and I'll be good...but that first game is intimidating ;)

What they need is a way to play with the interface WITHOUT being in an actual game so you can get a feel for how it ever works, because I really have no idea how to actually do anything in the game right now.

Koz

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2013, 10:35:15 AM »

Thats really no prob. You might want to watch the beginners guide video before your first game to quicken it up:
http://www.twitch.tv/charmyna/c/2789301
But, even if u dont, most MW Octgn players dont mind explaining stuff since they are happy you joined the community :).

I will be checking that out tonight!  Thanks for the link, didn't know there was a tutorial out there :)

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2013, 10:44:02 AM »

Honestly, this has been an issue for me too.  I have kind of an "interfaceophobia" ;)  I know that my first games will be slow and cumbersome and probably annoying to my opponent, and I also know that it will probably be a big distraction for me so that I play very poorly (this game is very mental after all).  I need to just get it over with so that I feel comfortable with the interface and I'll be good...but that first game is intimidating ;)

What they need is a way to play with the interface WITHOUT being in an actual game so you can get a feel for how it ever works, because I really have no idea how to actually do anything in the game right now.

There is a way! You just need two Octgn accounts (they are free so no real prob). Open a game with one account and join with the second. Thats what I did to make that tutorial video.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2013, 10:45:11 AM »
Don't worry about this aspect, as everyone including Charmyna and I have had to learn how to play on OCTGN. you'll take a couple of notes and use them to play through one or two games and then you will be ready to teach the next person. One of the great aspect of OCTGN is ability to play outside of your normal meta, many ways much like tournament. Strats and Cards that work well locally will get shreaded and things that you never thought about will see the day of light. You do miss the F2F interaction (and I the Cigar that goes with game day). All in all a fair trade off.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 10:47:35 AM »
[
Honestly, this has been an issue for me too.  I have kind of an "interfaceophobia" ;) 

Yeah- I am glad I am not the only one-

This makes me feel better- Imight give it a shot.

(I will only beable to play late nights though (10ish-I feel old saying thats late!) .....Or I would have to drop out every time my kid needed something.

Within Shad0w.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »
[
Honestly, this has been an issue for me too.  I have kind of an "interfaceophobia" ;) 

Yeah- I am glad I am not the only one-

This makes me feel better- Imight give it a shot.

(I will only beable to play late nights though (10ish-I feel old saying thats late!) .....Or I would have to drop out every time my kid needed something.

You guys make me laugh.  Sounds like we need an interfaceophobia support group!  :P  I suppose if we just each get a sponsor, they show us how to play a game, we can sponsor others and spread the word of OCTGN. 

Pay it forward!  8)

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 10:54:00 AM »
I know I am going to miss play like a mother......

at the risk of ridicule- I am going to try it out.

Instaling now.
Within Shad0w.

Charmyna

• Playtester
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
  • Dark Destroyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2013, 10:56:47 AM »
I know I am going to miss play like a mother......

at the risk of ridicule- I am going to try it out.

Instaling now.

Yeah! Dont let that interfaceophobia control you!

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2013, 11:54:39 PM »
yay played my 1st online Mage Wars game.  Someone was nice enough (and patient enough) to sit and explain everything, let me test, and play through.  Wasn't as bad as I thought.  A tad intimidating at first but not bad after a few plays.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2013, 03:45:26 AM »
I got to  play two games with The Dude- and he was very kind and put up with my terrible playing! (Or misplaying rather!)

I had alot of fun, and will play again!

Charmyna- You have challenge me to the Arena- Prepare yourself! (That is-when I find you on!)

I feel bad I missed your message Charmyna....  :-[
Within Shad0w.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2013, 04:10:15 AM »
Dafuq did this thread turn into?

playing MW on OCTGN is really simple and tbh its easier than reallife.

Paying mana costs is easier to remember because you get used to double clicking twice.
And its possible to go back and correct minor mistakes like "hey did I forget to add mana to gate of voltari or not".

Paying correct mana is almost bulletproof since the chat records everything. Pretty much every live game I had to trust my opponent at some point because people fiddle around with their cube on the mana track "oh... I payed 3 too much --- oh wait I get 1 discount... well this is correect now!!!" - "how much mana did you have for a start?" - "I don't know, but this is correct!" "eehhhookay"

Its easier and faster to move cards and enchantments with condition markers and damage on them on the board.

Its ALOT faster to browse through your spellbook on OCTGN than doing so in reallife.

Automated channeling removes the chance of human errors once again.

Its faster to add / remove damage to creatures - I guess I have to invest in dice for damage when playing physical form.

EDIT:

I for got... its easier to roll 10 dice on OCTGN. I always end up rerolling 3 times because a couple goes to the floor, while others push off damage counters etc.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 04:12:39 AM by jacksmack »

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2013, 07:56:03 AM »
Dafuq did this thread turn into?

playing MW on OCTGN is really simple and tbh its easier than reallife.

Paying mana costs is easier to remember because you get used to double clicking twice.
And its possible to go back and correct minor mistakes like "hey did I forget to add mana to gate of voltari or not".

Paying correct mana is almost bulletproof since the chat records everything. Pretty much every live game I had to trust my opponent at some point because people fiddle around with their cube on the mana track "oh... I payed 3 too much --- oh wait I get 1 discount... well this is correect now!!!" - "how much mana did you have for a start?" - "I don't know, but this is correct!" "eehhhookay"

Its easier and faster to move cards and enchantments with condition markers and damage on them on the board.

Its ALOT faster to browse through your spellbook on OCTGN than doing so in reallife.

Automated channeling removes the chance of human errors once again.

Its faster to add / remove damage to creatures - I guess I have to invest in dice for damage when playing physical form.

EDIT:

I for got... its easier to roll 10 dice on OCTGN. I always end up rerolling 3 times because a couple goes to the floor, while others push off damage counters etc.

Well...........we didn't know what it did- thus this thread getting derailed.
Within Shad0w.

Tim

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 11:44:29 AM »
There is quite some irony within. This build was undefeated for over 40 games and the first game after I made it public I lost ;). It was against a really unusal FM build that I never played against before. He casted no channeling stuff at all, but two grizzlies and a deathlock, supported by four teleports, force pull, jinx and hurl boulder. I guess I could have outlast that if I didnt use three actions for arcane ring and two crystals (in addition to gate+harmonize). I felt too confident after my last games went so well. Should have sticked to my own rules, which tell me not to cast too many things focused on channeling if the opponent does not. If I had spent a few more actions for increasing armor, casting nullify etc instead of arcane ring + crystal, it would have gone alot better. Well, it was the first time I faced a FM with two grizzlies and deathlock ;), which really is a nasty combo.

I play a similar FMbuild and I know it can be brutal. In almost 10 games in never lost (sometimes very close). Also with 2 grizzly and the synergies of force pull, deathlock, ... Problem with the deck is you cant include lots of spells because the grizzly are 24points. If the game takes to long i'm in a huge disadvantage and that's where you can shine :). If you can survive the rush treat and somehow control or destroy the grizzly it is hard (beware of the melee power of the FM) for the FM to win.