April 29, 2024, 04:44:32 AM

Author Topic: DvN rules questions  (Read 276625 times)

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: DvN rules questions
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2013, 12:16:35 PM »
You are correct on almost everything now. The only thing I would like to specify is the fact that you have to choose whether or not you're going to reanimate him immediately after he dies. You do not have until the end of the Round to decide, you have that moment and just that moment to decide. Whatever action caused his death, you have to decide immediately afterwards if you're going to reanimate. Then as soon as another action takes place, you can not change your decision.

If you do choose to Reanimate, the creature is put face down in the same zone he was just destroyed in and is considered out of play. He comes into play at the end of the round with an upside down (exhausted) action marker. Start of next round, during the ready phase, this action marker is flipped upright and the creature is ready to act.

Zuberi gets another round
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2013, 08:15:03 AM »
Good morning,

Played a game of Mage Wars last night using all the current expansions. As we played some questions crossed my mind that could use clarification. If it's possible that someone could point out in the FAQ or Codex where the answer lies that would be fantastic. Our group is rather big on rule-lawyering and prefer an official ruling.

- With the Druid's Corrosive Orchid I was under the impression that its attack follows the same rules as the Temple of Light and Akiro's Hammer. Essentially, you can use the orchid before or after any friendly creatures action phase. However, it was pointed out that those cards have that phrase printed on them but the Corrosive Orchid does not. Is the Orchid intended to be used in this manner? The Temple and Hammer also say keep a ready token on to keep track of its attack. Does the Orchid also receive this benefit or does it only attack once? I am aware the Mist Token is a one shot deal if it is utilized.

- I have the same questions for the Nightshade Lotus as I do the Corrosive Orchid but I just wanted to make sure it follows the same rules.

- The Etherian Lifetree states, "All living creatures and conjurations gain +2 innate life." It was argued that the tree applied to all living creatures and non-living and living conjurations. Basically they had proposed it would say "living creatures and living conjurations" if the conjuration part was meant to only apply to living.

Aylin

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2013, 08:50:53 AM »
Good morning,

Played a game of Mage Wars last night using all the current expansions. As we played some questions crossed my mind that could use clarification. If it's possible that someone could point out in the FAQ or Codex where the answer lies that would be fantastic. Our group is rather big on rule-lawyering and prefer an official ruling.

- With the Druid's Corrosive Orchid I was under the impression that its attack follows the same rules as the Temple of Light and Akiro's Hammer. Essentially, you can use the orchid before or after any friendly creatures action phase. However, it was pointed out that those cards have that phrase printed on them but the Corrosive Orchid does not. Is the Orchid intended to be used in this manner? The Temple and Hammer also say keep a ready token on to keep track of its attack. Does the Orchid also receive this benefit or does it only attack once? I am aware the Mist Token is a one shot deal if it is utilized.

- I have the same questions for the Nightshade Lotus as I do the Corrosive Orchid but I just wanted to make sure it follows the same rules.

- The Etherian Lifetree states, "All living creatures and conjurations gain +2 innate life." It was argued that the tree applied to all living creatures and non-living and living conjurations. Basically they had proposed it would say "living creatures and living conjurations" if the conjuration part was meant to only apply to living.

In the new rulebook, there is a section of New Rules.

Conjuration Attack Actions:
If a conjuration has an attack bar, then once per round, before or after any friendly creature's Action Phase, it can make attach. Use a ready marker to keep track of making that attack. Unless the spell text says otherwise, you can make the attack once per round, and the conjuration can make its attack the same round it comes into play.

For Etherian Lifetree, the Living qualifier applies to both creatures and conjurations. It's intended to make Living things harder to kill, not nonliving things.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2013, 08:52:42 AM »
1) In the Druid vs Necromancer Rulebook, in the Rules section right before the Codex, it mentions that any Conjuration with an attack action may use that attack before or after a friendly creature action phase and that you should use a ready marker to keep track of it. This frees up space on the card so that they don't have to keep printing the same mechanic.

2) See above.

3) This unfortunately is not clarified in the rules. I personally agree with the interpretation that it only affects living creatures and living conjurations, but the word choice is admittedly vague.

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2013, 12:03:52 AM »

3) This unfortunately is not clarified in the rules. I personally agree with the interpretation that it only affects living creatures and living conjurations, but the word choice is admittedly vague.

This is more than likely my fault. My formal training is in English and, though sometimes my spelling and grammar can be atrocious, the way that this sentence is written means that the "living" adjective applies to both creatures and conjurations.

TL:DR - It's an English thing. The Etherian Lifetree only adds life to living creatures and living conjurations.

Sorry for the confusion.

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 10, 2013, 08:56:42 AM »
Thank you for clearing this up!

abyssalstalker

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
Been playing a couple more games and this question came up: for Thronlashers is Snatch mandatory?

Sometimes I'd like to just use the ranged attack and not pull the creature towards me. Can I not roll the D12 or chose not to snatch if successfully rolled?

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2013, 09:49:09 AM »
Been playing a couple more games and this question came up: for Thronlashers is Snatch mandatory?

Sometimes I'd like to just use the ranged attack and not pull the creature towards me. Can I not roll the D12 or chose not to snatch if successfully rolled?

no.

Neither can you roll less dice when you wish to wake up a sleeping creature or choose not to apply burn (if you attack with a flame attack that can cause this).

isel

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 03, 2014, 09:24:58 AM »
when etherian says all living creatures aare include opponentĀ“s?

Kroko

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 03, 2014, 09:33:31 AM »
Yes, Etherian Life Tree gives HP to all Living creatur on the field, that include your oponent creatures.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2014, 10:03:14 AM »
Yes, Etherian Life Tree gives HP to all Living creatures on the field, that include your opponents creatures.

Correct if it would have been just you it would read all friendly living creatures.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

RedDevilPsycho

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 04, 2014, 06:29:15 PM »
Hi,

Sorry for the Noob question. Re Zora the card states when Zora is activated it may obliterate 1 hapless Zombie in the zone....... I was not sure if in doing this his full action has been taken or does he do this prior to then moving and or attacking in the same round.  Your help would be much appreciated. Love the Necro, played with skellies against the Druid, she was all over me with vine markers, used the Altar of skulls with the Acolytes, defended by 2 Bone Walls and Mort. The Altar did 10 damage to all the plants and the druid before she could finally destroy the altar. Love this game :)

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 04, 2014, 09:05:10 PM »
[mwcard=DNC12] Shaggoth-Zora[/mwcard] does not spend any actions to use the obliterate effect. The effect is triggered just by activating him (if you wish it to be), and then shaggie gets his full action as normal.

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 04, 2014, 09:07:51 PM »
It should be noted that activating a creature happens before they take any actions though, so shaggie must start in the same zone as a friendly zombie in order to use the obliterate effect.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 05, 2014, 12:18:03 AM »
It should be noted that activating a creature happens before they take any actions though, so shaggie must start in the same zone as a friendly zombie in order to use the obliterate effect.
Good, that how I ruled it (in my own brain) too...
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest