April 30, 2024, 05:19:04 PM

Author Topic: Newbie Question  (Read 2765 times)

Barmace

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Newbie Question
« on: August 24, 2013, 07:09:19 AM »
Ok I got the mechanics of the game, really it is some of the cards.

on page 15 it talks about an example of attacking a whirling Spirit.

normal attacking is +2 dice and I only count 1's as damage

but here is where I am confused.
Pillar of light says +2 dice with D12 for daze and stun but it also say +2 non living creatures

I am clear on what Pillar of Light rolling 2 dice on the Whirling Spirit it takes what damage is on the dice but the Pillar of Light card it also states +2 on non living creatures. The Whirling Spirit is a non living creature does that mean I also get another +2 dice to my attack using Pillar of Light?  If this is true I wonder why they didn't include it into the example?

---
Following up on this, looking at the Whirling Spirit card it says +4 dice with D12 push/push+daze but it also says Ethereal +2 vs. Incorporeal

I would interpret it as +4 dice normally or +6 against incorporeal creatures?

I am sorry to sound stupid but I am really confused with some of these cards

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:35:56 AM »
Alright, so in that example it is saying that a priestess is attacking the whirling spirit with her basic attack. The priestess' basic attack is 3 dice, but for simplicity's sake I'm going to go with what they said and she has gotten done rolling two of her attack dice, one being 1 damage, the other being 2 damage. Because the whirling spirit is incorporeal, only the 1 counts for damage and the 2 counts as a 0.

It then goes on to say that if those two dice were from pillar of light (which would in fact roll 4 dice because of it doing +2 against non-living) both the 2 and the 1 would count because pillar of light has the ethereal trait. I agree that it's a bit awkward, it's just trying to convey the message that if an attack doesn't have ethereal only 1s count, and if it does, you do damage as normal.

As for whirling spirit, it rolls a 4 dice attack when attacking creatures. It has Ethereal, so attacks against Incorporeal objects do normal damage instead of just 1s counting. When attacking Incorporeal objects, it gets +2 attack dice, so if the object it is attacking is also incorporeal, it rolls 6 attack dice instead of 4.

As an added bonus, because the +2 vs. Incorporeal is modifying dice against a trait, you would also get +2 on the effect die as well for the push.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie Question
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 06:14:16 AM »
Alright, so in that example it is saying that a priestess is attacking the whirling spirit with her basic attack. The priestess' basic attack is 3 dice, but for simplicity's sake I'm going to go with what they said and she has gotten done rolling two of her attack dice, one being 1 damage, the other being 2 damage. Because the whirling spirit is incorporeal, only the 1 counts for damage and the 2 counts as a 0.

It then goes on to say that if those two dice were from pillar of light (which would in fact roll 4 dice because of it doing +2 against non-living) both the 2 and the 1 would count because pillar of light has the ethereal trait. I agree that it's a bit awkward, it's just trying to convey the message that if an attack doesn't have ethereal only 1s count, and if it does, you do damage as normal.

As for whirling spirit, it rolls a 4 dice attack when attacking creatures. It has Ethereal, so attacks against Incorporeal objects do normal damage instead of just 1s counting. When attacking Incorporeal objects, it gets +2 attack dice, so if the object it is attacking is also incorporeal, it rolls 6 attack dice instead of 4.

As an added bonus, because the +2 vs. Incorporeal is modifying dice against a trait, you would also get +2 on the effect die as well for the push.

Nice work Doma
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage