April 20, 2024, 03:32:54 AM

Author Topic: Paladin x Siren x Shaman x WHO?  (Read 30902 times)

Boocheck

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Paladin x Siren x Shaman x WHO?
« on: August 19, 2013, 05:41:13 AM »
Hi,

i have a veeeeery long lunch break and i cannot stop thinking about upcoming (very far future?) mages.

For those who didnt read - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4vV_6JmyBk

My guess is

Paladin - Holy and War school - solo guy
Siren - Mind and Water school - Siren Song - controling enemy creatures
Shaman - Arcane and Wind / OR / Nature and Wind (too much nature mages right now, so less probable)

Who will be the 4th guy? I cannot wait to read speculations of other MW addicted :)
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
I am one with the force, the force is with me! (Warlord is still my fav mage ;) )

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Paladin x Siren x Shaman x WHO?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2013, 07:10:50 AM »
I'm honestly hoping the illusionist I've heard so much about.

jacksmack

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2013, 07:39:38 AM »
The interviewer is so annoying.... Bryan Pope did well though.

Druid Vs Necromancer appears to me to be the most interesting expansion so far. Cant wait :)

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 08:56:59 AM »
Wow. Lot's of information in that interview. I'm stoked about this set!

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 04:29:31 PM »
I'm thinking the Paladin has got to be more of a solo mage like the forcemaster. Heck I have trouble even thinking of a paladin as a mage at all, what comes to mind is basically a holy warrior with a little bit of magic and a lot of divine protection. I assume he's going to have a mount perhaps it will even be his familiar. It would be pretty amazing to have a huge warhorse as a familiar, and potentially even an  interesting spin to have something like an 18-21 point familiar that can actually hold it's own in a fight.  I wondering if this might even be the first mage with a lower spellbook point total but enhanced basic stats.

As for the Siren, I'm thinking she may end up as the ultimate control mage. Using mind magic to lure opposing mages to a watery death.  I'm sure we will see some more sonic attacks with her as well. The two attack spells from the water school indicate a potential for water magic to have very difficult to defend against attacks with powerful secondary effects if weaker damage. I mean Surging Wave has an 83% chance of Slam with an additional Push effect half of the time that the Slam is triggered.

Qube

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 01:50:54 PM »
Paladins are skilled warriors, but they are also charismatic leaders of men.  I'd like to see a paladin that could go down either of those paths... maybe with some warrior synergy.

An arcane shaman makes no sense to me.  He really needs to have nature, so I suspect we won't see him for a while.

HomelessJoe

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:18:56 PM »
I'm thinking the Paladin has got to be more of a solo mage like the forcemaster. Heck I have trouble even thinking of a paladin as a mage at all, what comes to mind is basically a holy warrior with a little bit of magic and a lot of divine protection. I assume he's going to have a mount perhaps it will even be his familiar. It would be pretty amazing to have a huge warhorse as a familiar, and potentially even an  interesting spin to have something like an 18-21 point familiar that can actually hold it's own in a fight.  I wondering if this might even be the first mage with a lower spellbook point total but enhanced basic stats.

I'm not going to be able to remember the source but I do know that I read or watched something that said the Paladin will have Paladin exclusive armor and when made into a full set you will get additional bonuses. They also went on to say that it would be more difficult to remove the armor than by current means.

I had a similar idea for a Paladin mount. I think you are right that it will be his familiar for sure. It could channel +1 and be able to give battle commands or some type of support commands, or just summon incantations spells like the wizards familiar. Paladins are supposed to be tanks, so instead of the mount being an offensive creature, I thought it would be more about absorbing blows. Possibly 5 armor/ 15 health regen +2, with fast trait (it is a mount afterall) and charge+2 (or a new trample 2 mechanic i.e automatic 2 unavoidable attack), with a measly 1 attack die for stability. It should also have the intercept ability so that it  absorbs all damage first, making it more like a forcemasters forcefield. So not strong offensively, but great at keeping the paladin alive, while being able to get around the board quickly and freeing up the paladin to make his own attacks. 

With the suit of armor and his mount this could really make the Paladin the strongest defensive player in the game. The balancing would have to be similar to the Forcemaster in which he gets very little creatures, maybe one or two big baddies and a handful of smaller ones. However his healing abilities would ensure their longevity and utter annoyance.

Anyway, just a thought.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 05:14:14 PM by HomelessJoe »

Qube

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2013, 09:19:32 AM »
Not too sure about a horse familiar that can cast command spells.  What kind of person takes orders from a   horse? I would like to see a steed though.  It would be nice if it could drag the paladin around (he is riding it after all) giving him some increased mobility.

tim_tolentino

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 10:31:38 AM »
Siren - Mind and Water school

If the Siren has a Mind School training, I would want her to have CLAIRVOYANCE as a skill.
"Once per round, during the deployment phase, the Siren could pay 2 mana and can look at one of the face-down planned spells of her opponent Mage."

Let the MIND games begin!

Artemus Maximus

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 11:29:11 AM »
I'm honestly hoping the illusionist I've heard so much about.

Im guessing Arcane school? Could be fun to play as, with solid 'decoy' mechanics on his creatures or himself (2-3 copies of mage or creature card, only 1 has the normal MW back and is the true creature when targeted or something)...though probably less fun to play against! Fake walls, lots of traps, copies opponent's equipment (illusory blade!) Or makes it seemingly dissapear...

Qube

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »
I don't like the idea of seeing an opposing mage's spell choices.  The 'guess what your opponent will pick' game is a big part of mage wars, and a power like 'clairvoyance' would only take away from the game.

Clairvoyance seems an unlikely power for a siren anyway.  In stories they lure sailors to their doom with their singing.  So, I suspect the siren will have some sort of taunt or charm like ability.

The illusionist is a tricky one.  The current set of mind-based spells don't really fit for him.  Illusionists don't tend to control minds or hit people with hammers of pure force.  They create illusions to confuse, frighten and beguile. 

I like the idea of decoy-like mechanic though.  Perhaps the illusionist could place tokens on creatures when he summons them.  Some tokens would be marked with an illusion symbol on the underside, when the creature is attacked the token is revealed.  If it is marked with an illusion symbol, the creature's card is returned to the caster's book and it's manna cost (-level) is refunded to the illusionist.

Hekireky

• Playtester
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
I am mostly excited for Shaman and Siren mages. I imagine a shaman to be able to control all 4 elements of fire/earth/water/air. Most likely, to keep him balanced, you'd get to choose only 2 elements to be trained at the beginning of the game. Also, since shamans are mostly conducting magic with spirits, maybe we'll get to fully experience the awesome power of Ethereal world?

Zuberi

• Rules Guru
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 57
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 04:08:33 PM »
I don't have the faintest idea what the Shaman could end up being like. He sounds like another nature mage to me, but having a purely elemental mage would be pretty awesome. It would require some major beefing up of the elemental schools though. There are precious few elemental spells other than attack spells. Perhaps he'll be similar to the wizard where he definitely has training in the nature school plus then training in an elemental school of his choice.

The Siren, meanwhile, I've got pegged as being trained in Water and Mind. I believe she will be the epitome of a control mage in design intent. Which could actually end up opening the door for control forcemasters as well.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 05:11:51 PM »
A control forcemaster would be AWESOME. I can't wait.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Gizzu

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 01:50:05 PM »
Paladin - Holy and War school - solo guy
Siren - Mind and Water school - Siren Song - controling enemy creatures
Shaman - Arcane and Wind / OR / Nature and Wind (too much nature mages right now, so less probable)

Who will be the 4th guy? I cannot wait to read speculations of other MW addicted :)

Hi all,

i hope Paladin will be War and Lvl 1 Holy (we already have 2 full holy Mages...!), and maybe with 1 pt of starting armor
Regarding Siren...Water and Lvl 1 Mind , along with freezing effects.
About Shaman... Elemental-only spells???

Thx,
Gigi