March 28, 2024, 08:56:34 AM

Author Topic: Daze vs. Sweeping, Doublestrike and Triplestrike  (Read 6107 times)

wulfen777

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Daze vs. Sweeping, Doublestrike and Triplestrike
« on: December 31, 2013, 06:41:06 AM »
Hi

My first post here, so greetings to all.  :D

This has already been discussed but the system advised to start a new topic since the old thread is more than 60 days old, so there.  ;D

History:
I am the new chap in the lector team (doing the proofreading) for the german realisation of Mage Wars.
The core set has already been published and at the moment we are working on the Forcemaster vs. Warlord expansion.
Nevertheless we also strive to make the german version of the core set even better and seek to eliminate any mistakes that slipped in for the printing of a possible second edition.
This leads me to my questions:

In the codex of the german core set rules it explicitly states that in case of Sweeping, Doublestrike and Triplestrike you only roll the "Daze die" once for all attacks of the attack action. Either all attacks of that attack action fail, or not.

But the US errata (perhaps :-\) says otherwise:

Daze
The chance to miss is always rolled for at the end the Declare Attack Step, or when the attack starts (if there is no Declare Attack Step).

This is necessary, because some attacks do not have a Declare Attack Step, like the second and third
strikes of a Triplestrike attack. A Dazed creature must roll for each attack it makes, including all 3 strikes
of a Triplestrike attack, or both attacks of a Sweeping attack.

I am not a native english speaker, so I am not sure if I get the whole meaning of this.
I understand that for example in case of Triplestrike all three attacks are affected by Daze, not just the first attack.

But:

Does it mean I roll once and that die roll counts for each of the three attacks (which would confirm the german rules),

or:

does it it mean I roll three times, once for each of the three attacks seperately (which would contradict the german rules)?

A plea to those who answer:
Anyone here is welcomed to share his opinion on this matter but please understand that it would be best for me to also have an answer by someone "official" of the US Mage Wars Developing Team.

So please also state in your answer if you are a private person giving a private opinion, or if you are someone  of the "official" Mage Wars Team giving a valid official rules clarification that I can use as a basis for a change of the german rule book.

Thanks in advance and not to forget:

A happy New Year!  :)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Daze vs. Sweeping, Doublestrike and Triplestrike
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:03:37 AM »
Each additional strike in an attack will require it's own roll for daze. Now, where their may have been confusion is that a Zone attack only rolls once for daze. Hopefully you find this useful. If you guys need an help or information feel free to email me. I'd be happy to help.

wulfen777

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 09:40:11 AM »
Each additional strike in an attack will require it's own roll for daze. Now, where their may have been confusion is that a Zone attack only rolls once for daze. Hopefully you find this useful. If you guys need an help or information feel free to email me. I'd be happy to help.

Thanks for the quick answer, it is definitely useful.
We will have to correct the appropriate passage in the rules accordingly. I will forward this to Mr. Henning Kröpke, who is responsible for the realisation of the german version of Mage Wars.

Also thanks for the offer to contact you in case of rule questions, I will gladly come back to that should the need arise.

Cheers.  :)

Laddinfance

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:46:24 AM »
I just emailed Henning as well. I'm more than happy to help you guys with any clarifications you need.