April 26, 2024, 11:24:41 AM

Author Topic: Apprentice Level 2  (Read 6648 times)

Ahlano

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Apprentice Level 2
« on: August 16, 2013, 05:08:35 PM »
Hello :)

So im a new player of magers, an apprentice mage :3, playing in advance mode D: ... just got my first core set, been playing a lot, and starting teaching some friends to play, some have experience with other games, TCG, OCG or just some type of board game, and each type of friend (types of friends lol) got some of the mechanics of Mages Wars faster than other mechanics... Some of them had 1 game with apprentice mode decks, and could jump on to the normal/advance mode with relative ease...just had to familiarize with some terms... Others took a bit more time...

So im trying to create a "Level 2 - Apprentice Mode, or Junior Mage :P ...

Redoing the the apprentice SpellBooks, adding some more variaty in the cards, and some mechanics for them to deal with, like conjuratinons, wich only the beastmaster had... (in apprentice SpellBooks)...

So here it is:

APPRENTICE MODE- LVL 2

-These are only Core Set Mages
-These are all 70 Point SpellBooks, keeping in mind rules for SpellBook Creation
-I tried not to include cards that give actions : Spawnpoints - Familiars
-Also Avoided BIG BIG Creatures, for exampe, Adramelech, Valshalla, Sosruko (Big in heart <3)
-Basic Conjurations, based on the overall them of the deck (mostly a Wall and some other cheap Conjuration)
-Tried to give decks variaty so they could start thinking in different plays and uses for cards.

-------------------
Beastmaster
-------------------

---  Attack  ---
2 Geyser
1 Jet Stream

---  Conjuration  ---
1 Tooth and Nail
1 Wall of Thorns

---  Creature  ---
1 Redclaw, Alpha Male
1 Cervere, The Forest Shadow
1 Steelclaw Grizzly
2 Timber Wolf
2 Bitterwood Fox
2 Thunderift Falcon

---  Enchantment  ---
1 Nullify
1 Block
2 Bear Strength
1 Bull Endurance
1 Cobra Reflexes
2 Rhino Hide
1 Regrowth
1 Eagle Wings

---  Equipment  ---
1 Elemental Cloak
1 Staff of Beasts
1 Bearskin
1 Ring of Beasts
1 Enchanter's Ring

---  Incantation  ---
1 Group Heal
1 Minor Heal
1 Dispel
1 Force Push
1 Shift Enchantment
2 Call of the Wild
1 Battle Fury
1 Charge
1 Rouse the Beast
1 Dissolve

---------------------

Priestess
---------------------

---  Attack  ---
2 Pillar of Light
1 Blinding Flash

---  Conjuration  ---
1 Hand of Bim-Shalla
1 Wall of Stone

---  Creature  ---
1 Highland Unicorn
1 Brogan Bloodstone
1 Gray Angel
2 Knight of Westlock
1 Royal Archer
2 Asyran Defender

---  Enchantment  ---
2 Divine Protection
1 Sacred Ground
1 Pacify
1 Nullify
1 Block
1 Bull Endurance

---  Equipment  ---
1 Moonglow Amulet
1 Deflection Bracers
1 Wind Wyvern Hide
1 Staff of Asyra
1 Crown of Protection

---  Incantation  ---
1 Group Heal
2 Heal
2 Minor Heal
1 Seeking Dispel
1 Dispel
1 Dissolve
1 Teleport

--------------------
Warlock
--------------------

---  Conjuration  ---
1 Wall of Fire

---  Attack  ---
1 Fireball
1 Firestorm
1 Flameblast
1 Sacrificial Altar
1 Ring of Fire

---  Creature  ---
1 Goran, Werewolf Pet
1 Necropian Vampiress
1 Flaming Hellion
1 Dark Pact Slayer
2 Firebrand Imp
2 Darkfenne Bat

---  Enchantment  ---
1 Jinx
1 Block
1 Nullify
1 Bear Strength
1 Marked for Death
1 Death Link
1 Ghoul Rot
1 Enfeeble
1 Magebane
1 Agony
1 Vampirism

---  Equipment  ---
1 Fireshaper Ring
1 Gauntlets of Strength
1 Demonhide Armor
1 Lash of Hellfire

---  Incantation  ---
1 Drain Life
1 Explode
1 Teleport
1 Force Push
1 Seeking Dispel
1 Dispel

-----------------------
 Wizard(Air)
-----------------------

---  Attack  ---
1 Chain Lightning
1 Lightning Bolt
1 Thunderbolt
1 Electrify

---  Conjuration  ---
1 Fog Bank
1 Mana Crystal

---  Creature  ---
2 Blue Gremlin
2 Mana Leech
1 Gorgon Archer
1 Darkfenne Hydra
1 Stonegaze Basilisk

---  Enchantment  ---
1 Teleport Trap
1 Force Hold
1 Block
1 Reverse Attack
1 Reverse Magic
1 Nullify
1 Jinx
1 Essence Drain

---  Equipment  ---
1 Mage Wand
1 Staff of the Arcanum
1 Suppression Cloak
1 Arcane Ring
1 Leather Gloves

---  Incantation  ---
2 Dispel
1 Seeking Dispel
1 Dissolve
1 Teleport
1 Minor Heal
1 Force Push
1 Steal Enchantment

:) DONE

This apprentice Level... to give more about the feel of different mages, different kinds of playstyle... etc...

Stats?

Instead of all having 24life

LIFE

Wizzard-22
Priestess-22
Beastmaster-26
Warlock-28

Channeling: 10 For All
Armor: 0 For All
Attack: Quick Melee Attack 3 Dice

Abbilities:
Each Player may chose 1 of the following abillities for the respective mage

Warlock: Blood Slayer or Curseweaving

Beastmaster: Pet or Quick Summon

Wizzard: Voltaric Shield or Arcane Zap

Priestess: Restore or Divine Reward

And thats all i think... im about to test it out... any ideas? any recomendations? any cookies?
Every Comment helps :D !!!

Ok well Enjoy the game :)
Warlock FTW, untill necro comes out ._.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: Apprentice Level 2
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 06:44:30 PM »
This looks awesome. I think I'll try this at my next board game club meeting. I'll let you know how it goes! ;D
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 12:43:18 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Seems like a nice intermediary step.

Ahlano

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 10:28:50 AM »
Yes please go ahead and try it.. and let me know :D.. the games ive had so far..have gone well... and the players seem to have a much softer travel between apprentice and normal game...

:3 play play play
Warlock FTW, untill necro comes out ._.

Jibii

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 04:15:24 PM »
Why are you giving the Warlock the Gauntlets of Strength... They only give the +1 Melee trait... That the Warlock allready have?

ACG

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 05:32:32 PM »
The Melee +X trait stacks. So with Gauntlets of Strength, Warlock has Melee +2.

MageHorst

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
  • MiĆ©villean Tentacle
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 04:37:40 AM »
Looks good do me! I am going to give those spellbooks a try this weekend with a new player.

Just some minor things I noticed (sorry for being nitpicky  ;) ):
- Priestess: you say "Asyran Defender, but this card is not in the Core Set. Do you mean the Cleric?
- Warlock: you list "Sacrificial Altar" under Attacks.
  • Favourite Mage: Bloodwave Warlord
Yes, warlord! No other victory feels more rewarding. =)

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:39:37 PM »
I just tried this format with one of my friends. She was playing beastmaster and I was playing Warlock. The abilities we chose were pet and curseweaving, respectively. We had a lot of fun, but it was a bit frustrating for her since she's a relatively new player (3 or 4 apprentice games plus this one i think). I forgot to include the marked for death in her spellbook, and I felt really bad about that, but it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway since her grizzly never got to attack me. I offered to go grab it from my room, but she declined. Anyways, we both had a lot of fun. I don't think she's going to have as long of a losing streak as I did for my first half a year.

She wanted to spend as much of her mana as possible on a huge creature ASAP at beginning of game, but she didn't have enough mana to make the grizzly her pet, and then was too busy doing other things to make her falcon a pet either. I went in cursing and swinging with goran's claws and my lash of hellfire's searing flame. She put on a mage wand with dispel on it and forgot i could use dissolve. So she got rid of my ghoul rot and magebane first instead of the enfeeble i put on her grizzly which was in the next zone.

Oh crap i forgot she had flame -2! I forgot to deduct from my searing flame attack from the lash! Crap.

Oh well. She and I both agreed that if we missed the timing for things like that and didn't correct it right away then it would be considered too late, just like if it were a tournament. I don't know if she has ADHD too, but she thought it would be a good idea for helping us both learn not to forget things like that.

Anyways, it was fun. She has an account on OCTGN now, and we'll be playing each other on there once i'm back at school. I think I'm going to ask sike and lettuce to make these apprentice level 2 spellbooks available online. I think the level 2 books are probably pretty balanced, but if there's any hiccups in the design, it will be possible to spot them unless a lot of people are playing it and reporting back here.

Thanks for a great format!
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Schwenkgott

• Thunderdome
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 02:01:12 AM »
We already got something like this on Octgn. Just load a deck an click through the Folders. Octgn Apprentice Mode is what you are looking for.

You will find updated apprentice decks for every mage with 60 Spellpoints each. No Spawnpoints are used. The decks should give a new player a pretty good image of the mages playstyle.
Akiro, I have never prayed to you before. No one will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that one stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Akiro... so grant me strength! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Sailor Vulcan

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 02:51:12 PM »

We already got something like this on Octgn. Just load a deck an click through the Folders. Octgn Apprentice Mode is what you are looking for.

You will find updated apprentice decks for every mage with 60 Spellpoints each. No Spawnpoints are used. The decks should give a new player a pretty good image of the mages playstyle.

So OCTGN apprentice books are different from regular apprentice books? I didn't realize that. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »

So OCTGN apprentice books are different from regular apprentice books? I didn't realize that. I'll have to check that out. Thanks!

Both are included in the game, the default Apprentice Spellbooks along with themed 60 point OCTGN Apprentice Mode spellbooks. Alt+F9 will get you the 2x3 Apprentice Arena and Alt+F10 will get you the 3x3 OCTGN Apprentice Mode arena.

And yes, the next release will include OCTGN Apprentice Mode spellbooks for the FiF mages.

The change log is your friend!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest