March 29, 2024, 12:23:06 AM

Author Topic: Tournament Coverage - what do you want to see?  (Read 5742 times)

rcone002

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Tournament Coverage - what do you want to see?
« on: August 11, 2013, 10:53:06 PM »
I'll be one of the Mage Wars ambassadors at Gen Con this week, and I was curious about what people were interested in seeing in terms of event coverage. We're not at the stage where video coverage is a possibility, so you can leave that suggestion out for now.

Given a limited number of "coverage reporters," what are the most important things you'd like to see covered? Mage vs. Mage breakdowns with winning percentages by matchup? A detailed blow-by-blow of one match per round or a general overview of all matches in a given round? Are things like final life totals or number of spells cast important to you, or do you just want to know who won and what Mage they were playing and battling against? Would you like to see decklists for the final tournament?

These are a few of the questions I had, so I would love your input! Fire away with your suggestions!!!

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: Tournament Coverage - what do you want to see?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 10:55:37 PM »
all of the above

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »
Just a silly question. If we come with a friend, is it possible to request that we get put in a separate pod? After playing together for so long, it would be kind of a let down to have to guarantee one of us be out in the first round or two. Not that I'm good enough to make it past the first round, but hey! A guy can hope. My boss said she'd let me off on sunday to go back if I made it.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 04:27:45 AM »
I'll be one of the Mage Wars ambassadors at Gen Con this week, and I was curious about what people were interested in seeing in terms of event coverage. We're not at the stage where video coverage is a possibility, so you can leave that suggestion out for now.

Given a limited number of "coverage reporters," what are the most important things you'd like to see covered? Mage vs. Mage breakdowns with winning percentages by matchup? A detailed blow-by-blow of one match per round or a general overview of all matches in a given round? Are things like final life totals or number of spells cast important to you, or do you just want to know who won and what Mage they were playing and battling against? Would you like to see decklists for the final tournament?

These are a few of the questions I had, so I would love your input! Fire away with your suggestions!!!

A general summary of the tactics used in every match, plus key moments. E.g. FM solo using multiple deflects lost to Air Wiizard using tower and pushes. Key moment was a push through a wall of thorns with a flying Nec vamp going over the wall to finish off the FM.
A blow by blow on a few good matches.
I like story above mechanics so don't need too many stats.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 06:11:21 AM »
Just a silly question. If we come with a friend, is it possible to request that we get put in a separate pod? After playing together for so long, it would be kind of a let down to have to guarantee one of us be out in the first round or two. Not that I'm good enough to make it past the first round, but hey! A guy can hope. My boss said she'd let me off on sunday to go back if I made it.

I will be randomizing all pods so requesting will not help. By the pods are Swiss so no matter how good or bad you are you can play in all 3 rounds.

BTW if you want to play me I will have a few books on hand and I may have a bit of spare time
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 06:13:03 AM »

A general summary of the tactics used in every match, plus key moments. E.g. FM solo using multiple deflects lost to Air Wiizard using tower and pushes. Key moment was a push through a wall of thorns with a flying Nec vamp going over the wall to finish off the FM.

For notes like this the people in the match will have to take them.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 07:35:22 AM »

For notes like this the people in the match will have to take them.

How about someone official asks each player to make a one para summary of each game?  As per above?

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 07:55:59 AM »

I will be randomizing all pods so requesting will not help. By the pods are Swiss so no matter how good or bad you are you can play in all 3 rounds.

BTW if you want to play me I will have a few books on hand and I may have a bit of spare time

Ah, alright. For some reason I thought the qualifier was single elimination and then Sunday was Swiss. I'm probably starting to get tournaments mixed up out of excitement. Can't wait to see everyone there. I'll try to take notes on whatever I can, however I think I'd rather just focus on playing and keeping up with the time limit initially.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 07:56:25 AM »
Strategy > Statistics

I'd be interested in the general strategies employed maybe some of the MVC (Most Valuable Cards) to employ that strategy (if not an entire deck list).

I don't need a play by play or know every move but key 'shifts' in the game or particularly key ones would be good.  Although for sure the 1st few opening moves in detail would be good.  I'm always interested in how different people start out differently (slow build, rush, balance etc).

Maybe overall kill method...creature swarm, weapons, nukes, combo strat etc?

rcone002

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 10:27:27 PM »
All good suggestions so far!
I'm still trying to formulate a good strategy to cover as much as possible.
Fentum, to get the kind of coverage you'd like for each match won't be possible, as I will most likely be the sole "game reporter" on site. If there's only 3 matches (8 people) per round during qualifiers, I'll try to cover one match to start and jump around a bit to see where the other tables are at.
For the final tourney on Sunday, perhaps I can persuade some of my fellow ambassadors to take a few notes so we can cover more games!
I think it's asking a little too much of players to have them take their own notes, as I feel they'll be challenged to get the matches finished within the allotted time per round, and they already will have an additional burden of tracking how much damage they do to the opposing mage each game.
Given the new damage-counts tiebreakers, I'm hoping it doesn't degenerate into an endless succession of Forcemaster v. Warlock battles..... but we'll see soon enough!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »
In my mind I would like the basics:

Per Match: Who v. Who & Mage v. Mage

Length of match

Who won

How many spells were cast / mage (low down on the list of wants)

Type of Play i.e. Agro Rush, Mid-Range Control, etc

More details on the semi, quarter, and finals

..so not much >:) grimly mocking like a certain dragon I know of.....and hope to summon here soon into the arena ;)
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 11:28:38 PM »
The things I want the most are:

1. Total quantity played of each mage across each qualifier, and in finals.

2. Top list from each qualifier, and all lists in finals (published on delay, after all tourney games are finished Monday).

Hopefully this is as easy as scanning and OCRing the checked decklists. Also would you consider accepting digital decklist submissions in .txt or.csv formats for the tournament? Paper decklists are so 20th century.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Tacullu64

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 10:51:51 AM »

2. Top list from each qualifier, and all lists in finals (published on delay, after all tourney games are finished Monday).

Hopefully this is as easy as scanning and OCRing the checked decklists. Also would you consider accepting digital decklist submissions in .txt or.csv formats for the tournament? Paper decklists are so 20th century.

What ringkichard said but I would like the mages listed in the order they finish each qualifier plus their record. I would also like to see all book lists, after the event is over of course. No sense giving away someone's list before the tournament is over, they may want to keep their exact list a secret.

rcone002

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 12:46:06 PM »

Agree with hard copy lists/20th century comment - would be a great feature to allow digital submissions, but I imagine it might be more trouble than it's worth as most mages will be busily updating their lists and tweaking until right up when their tournament starts. What we really need is an app for that.....

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 01:02:46 PM »
Just made an 8 point change to mine last night. I find after a build is done, each change made is usually drastic. Just an 8 point change was huge for me, since figuring what goes and stays gets downright difficult.