April 24, 2024, 01:15:05 PM

Author Topic: Opening moves  (Read 25142 times)

piousflea

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
Re: Opening moves
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2012, 10:15:38 PM »
My first move is typically extremely boring - Mana Crystal + Harmonize (on wizard). Then again, my entire style is to go for long games and not try to win quickly. A beatdown deck would probably use the first turn to get a spawnpoint or battleforge up, and then start moving toward the opponent.

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »
Quote from: "ghbell" post=1943
I like a battleforge (cheap overall cost) and then a mage buff of some type.  I like Cheetah Speed or Fly.

Ermm mage buff of some type...like fly??? .....Eagle Wings....no you cant - it can only target Non-mage Living Creatures....otherwise a flying mage would be a little OP....

also

Quote from: "theduke850" post=2134
"when you cast a wall, you may immediately take a second identical wall spell card out of your spellbook (if you have one) and cast it at the same time. you must pay the full mana cost of both spells, plus mana equal to the spell's level."

Direct quote from the rule book pg. 21

the rulebook uses a wizard casting a level 2 wall with a mana cost of 7. you then can take out a second copy of the same type of wall, pay an additional 7 and the level of the new card - for a total of 16 (manna cost + mana cost + level) - so yes Duke is correct

as for my opening moves i prefer mana gen - followed by equipment - Armoured Wizard for me so far has worked nicely ^^ especially with Mage Wand and Force Push, and Elemental Wand and Jet Stream - one to two pushes and 2 dice attack - push into wall so at the most you can double push, causing 5 dice of damage and a daze ^^ only for 7 mana hehehe

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2012, 08:03:23 AM »
My next opening move:

Wizzard:
Turn 1: Move 1 step to the right. Cast lightning ring + Hawkeye.
Turn 2: Move 1 step to the right. Cast elemental wand and bind Thunder bolt + Shoot.

That is 21 mana out of 30, and you have made an attack of 8 dice with high stun chance.
Now you have a thunder bolt (3 in range) for 10 mana each round and 10 in channeling. 9 mana as leftovers which you can cast cheata speed to avoid his creatures and walls with LOS issues, but still be able to shoot.

He won't live more than 4 turnes. If he does; start your next tactic.

SeanDeCoy

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »
I spend almost no time setting up. My first turn I cast the biggest creature I can, while still saving enough mana to put a nullify on them.

If I'm doing a weenie rush then I'm just summoning something like a Bitterwood Fox and a Mana Flower every turn while moving towards the enemy.

the_iron_troll

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 04:25:22 PM »
A note, fas723: if you want to hit someone with a Thunderbolt on Turn 2, you won't be able to move on that round, because it's a Full Round action. So you won't be able to hit your opponent if they stay in their starting square.

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »
Quote from: "the_iron_troll" post=2394
A note, fas723: if you want to hit someone with a Thunderbolt on Turn 2, you won't be able to move on that round, because it's a Full Round action. So you won't be able to hit your opponent if they stay in their starting square.

Not if it is in the wand.  :P

Hedge

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2012, 05:55:05 PM »
it is still a full action to cast, even when on the wand. moving uses part of your full action.

Hedge

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012, 10:22:06 AM »
Shit, my bad. I thought the Wand made the spell quick. Have read it wrong since the beginning. :ohmy:

bormBroodewer

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
there are some great tactics here...

My favorite opener? I like to sprint to Center and quickcast an engine(crystal;flower) or a spawnpoint. I have this need to control center-board at all costs. Even if I TURTLE, I do it in the (2) center squares. This is mainly to support my Teleport Contingency plan(s), because a Corner Stronghold really hurts your Teleport options.

Often, the threat of full rush-down is enough to disrupt the opponents gameplan. So just getting to Center first allows me to dictate pace without even committing (feint rush).

Talamare

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2012, 12:17:41 AM »
I am a cute little turtle wizard, in my side of the board, turtling with my increase channel, lightning bolting things that get close, and thunderbolting ones that are afraid to come near

Also I stack a bunch of ranged on the same spot and cast sacred ground

wash17

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
A fun way to open as beast master is to summon your fairy familiar, and harmonize her from the get go. She can now place an enchantment a turn at no cost to the mage. I find this build also works well with allot of decoy spells: If you don't to cast anything of importance that turn, throw out a decoy. Your mage now effectively has +2 mana when it is destroyed, or when you want to reveal it for the boost. If you put a bunch of decoy in your spell book, this can also act as a +2 channel a turn for 6 turns-not efficient, but there if it turns out you need the extra juice. The beast master may now also concentrate on summoning and other set up, while your fairy buffs your starting rush.

Haema

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »
Playing as a curse enchantment heavy Warlock:

Open with Morloch's Torment and Ring of Curses and move one space towards middle column.
14 Mana left (19-5)

Turn two, move two spaces up the middle column and set Ghoul Rot
21 Mana left (23-2)

Turn three, activate Ghoul Rot before Upkeep, pay for Morloch's Torment for 3 damage (and repeat every turn). Then set and activate Magebane and set Nullify on opponent mage.
16 Mana left (28-5-1-4-2)

After that, during the next two turns (with a total mana of 34), put out Idol of Pestilence and try to put on a burn with Fireball (or by Exploding opponent equipment), and bring out Malacoda. Then again, can't plan that far ahead and need to react to whatever opponent is doing.

Nihilistiskism

• Master Debater
  • Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 05:06:32 PM »
Quote from: "Haema" post=3621
Playing as a curse enchantment heavy Warlock:

Open with Morloch's Torment and Ring of Curses and move one space towards middle column.
14 Mana left (19-5)

Turn two, move two spaces up the middle column and set Ghoul Rot
21 Mana left (23-2)

Turn three, activate Ghoul Rot before Upkeep, pay for Morloch's Torment for 3 damage (and repeat every turn). Then set and activate Magebane and set Nullify on opponent mage.
16 Mana left (28-5-1-4-2)

After that, during the next two turns (with a total mana of 34), put out Idol of Pestilence and try to put on a burn with Fireball (or by Exploding opponent equipment), and bring out Malacoda. Then again, can't plan that far ahead and need to react to whatever opponent is doing.

It seems like a lot of dedication to a strategy that is easily disrupted and/or stopped dead.

Example: I see you coming and put a wall between us. Now you can't see to curse me or throw a fireball at me.

Example: I see you coming and put a nullify or reverse magic on myself. Now you have to throw your timing off to seeking dispel my enchantments that could bite you hard in the ass should you choose to ignore them.

Secondarily: You are rushing the board without any thought to defensive measures. Against the Priestess, for example, she could 1st turn drop Brogan and Bear's Strength to severely harm your Warlock if he comes in for what is, in reality, very small ping damage.

A very good discussion was held in another thread about the overall weakness that Curse play suffers. Curses are easily dispelled, don't do very much harm if ignored, and detract from defense and more effective offense.

-nihil
Take a shower, don't talk like a junior high dropout, and stop being such a fatty.

werner

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2012, 12:23:33 PM »
I've become fond of the "Sneaky Cheetah:"

Turn 1: Sprint to Near_Center; quickcast facedown_CheetahSpeed
Turn 2: (reveal CheetahSpeed); Sprint to Opponent; Melee plus LightningBolt