April 19, 2024, 01:31:38 AM

Author Topic: The Mighty Alchemist  (Read 5458 times)

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
The Mighty Alchemist
« on: August 08, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »
Here is a brief sketch of an idea. No more as I am both on holiday and slightly tipsy on fine wine...

A Mage class which focuses on buffing him/herself and creatures with POTIONS. Probably Arcane and Nature focus. Opposite would be War.

Potions are a new type of card. A picture of a bottle. The Alchemist can bind an INCANTATION to a POTION. The potion is ATTACHED to a creature. The incantation can then be cast as a FREE ACTION by the creature to which the potion is attached. This destroys the potion, and allows the CREATURE to cast the INCANTATION, FOR FREE.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 04:22:53 PM by Fentum »

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Mighty Alchemist
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »
Looks like a cool concept Fentum.  :)

zot

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »
   I have been working on exactly this!  But as a witch concept. I have not had enough time to flesh it out as a full set worthy of implementation/testing but it is not far off.  She would have potions as you mentioned. Her sphere would be alchemy and any one other sphere/element except war. She would brew her potions via her cauldron spawn point in her witches hut, and hurl them at opponents. She would have a garden for components she mixes in. The more components added to a potion the stronger it would be, or the further it would work or such. She would have a familiar too. And additional things too.

I envisioned the thematic as her in a coastal village versus a merfolk water mage, who is war/water school. While schooled in war, not a warlord per se(no siege items). He has water attacks, and would summon aquatic creatures who would come on land to do battle. There would be flood conjurations that slow all non aquatic creatures (sadly this was my idea without knowledge of the vine mechanics of the upcoming druid). The flooded zones also would remove the suffocation condition that gets applied when an aquatic creature is in a nonwater zone. And many other things too.

When I have the set firmed up with all of the mechanics and tested some, I had intended on submitting it to the forums for in depth consideration and playtesting in a wider audience. It just is not ready as yet.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 01:48:23 PM »
   I have been working on exactly this!  But as a witch concept. I have not had enough time to flesh it out as a full set worthy of implementation/testing but it is not far off.  She would have potions as you mentioned. Her sphere would be alchemy and any one other sphere/element except war. She would brew her potions via her cauldron spawn point in her witches hut, and hurl them at opponents. She would have a garden for components she mixes in. The more components added to a potion the stronger it would be, or the further it would work or such. She would have a familiar too. And additional things too.

I envisioned the thematic as her in a coastal village versus a merfolk water mage, who is war/water school. While schooled in war, not a warlord per se(no siege items). He has water attacks, and would summon aquatic creatures who would come on land to do battle. There would be flood conjurations that slow all non aquatic creatures (sadly this was my idea without knowledge of the vine mechanics of the upcoming druid). The flooded zones also would remove the suffocation condition that gets applied when an aquatic creature is in a nonwater zone. And many other things too.

When I have the set firmed up with all of the mechanics and tested some, I had intended on submitting it to the forums for in depth consideration and playtesting in a wider audience. It just is not ready as yet.

You mean a Mermage?

Sorry, I just had to say that.  :)

Also, the water/war mage you're thinking of? Definitely a Siren.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siren

I think it would be an attrition build of some sort.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

Stormmaster

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »
The Siren idea is cool too, but seems that would be Mind/Water.  Some kind of innate low level charm for her Mage ability would be fun.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 02:44:35 PM »
The Warlord we have now is a war/earth Orc. What I'm thinking is that not all warlords would be landlubbers. Why not make warlord training War & (Earth OR Water)? Then there would be two versions of the warlord, each with a slightly different ability cards.

Also, I think that there's a problem in the location of the arena being on land. It gives land dwelling creatures an advantage. The water/war mage herself would have to be able to breathe, not just the creatures she summons. Plus, how would a merfolk enter the arena? They don't have legs. I suppose a merfolk could use a wheelchair, if Etheria were technologically advanced enough.

Not all witches live in coastal towns. Pretty sure that aspect of the theme doesn't work.

Other than just another version of the warlord, or a siren, I have no idea what a war/water mage would be called. Maybe a Mermaster?
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.