April 20, 2024, 04:40:41 AM

Author Topic: A Word of Encouragement  (Read 13556 times)

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
Re: A Word of Encouragement
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 08:39:37 PM »
I have come close to winning many times, but I have never actually won a game of mage wars. But I'll be patient. It's bound to happen eventually. In the meantime, I've come up with a theory about why I haven't won since I started playing about three months ago:

1. I keep trying to come up with new builds rather than spending more time practicing with ones I've already made.
2. I don't get to play very often IRL. The people who I play against most often on OCTGN are pretty good players and I have room to improve.
3. Just plain BAD LUCK

The way I see it is this: the more experienced players have probably lost a lot more games than I have. So don't get discouraged if you lose a ton. The game's more than fun enough to make up for it.
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
@Imaginator

Keep trying you will get it eventually. Focus on the duel between mages and less on variants. With more playing you will get a firm grasp of the cards, the mechanics' will come much easier, and you will start to see what your opponent is up to when you are playing. OCTGN is great cause you can get games in that you otherwise could get.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

DarthDadaD20

• Dark Father of Random Occurrence/TeamRocket Grunt
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 06:05:24 AM »

1. I keep trying to come up with new builds rather than spending more time practicing with ones I've already made.

Hear that! I would do that in MtG almost every other week- I dont know why, but I don't ever stick to a build.

And I know I lost my first 10 games in a row, and still didn't do very good until I learned some of the more subtle nuances of MW- Like- if the opponent equips a good weapon and starts to rush you- forget about the mana flowers and put on some armor type of thing. I still have to think about interacting with my opponent's strategy, I sometimes get to caught up in trying to "Let my build run its course" and thats not often a good idea.

Keep it up for sure! Have you joined the OCTGN facebook page yet? its good since you can plan matches in advance and then talk about your matches latter. It could be a good tool to learn- I know if I lose a game, I can go on to the FB page, and then ask or talk about what went wrong in my game.

(And I know someone is on there looking for a match right now....:) )
Where does my greatest enemy lie?
It has been around since the dawn of time,
it follows your loved ones as well as mine,
takes the form of a mountain as well as a flower,
it cannot be outrun by the greatest of power.
Within Shad0w.

Sailor Vulcan

• Secret Identity: Imaginator
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 10:54:52 AM »
I'm still not sure how comfortable I feel talking on Facebook to people I haven't met in real life. Privacy is important to me; I don't want my Facebook page being stalked by MORE invasive advertisers, and I don't want to start receiving hateful private messages from prejudiced idiots who don't know me at all but think they do. So I think I'll stick to the mage wars forums and the OTCGN community chat. Once ready for organized play, perhaps the Imaginator will remove its imaginary mask...but most likely at the arena in person, not on Facebook!
  • Favourite Mage: Salenia Forcemaster
I am Sailor Vulcan! Champion of justice and reason! And yes, I am already aware my uniform is considered flashy, unprofessional, and borderline sexually provocative for my species by most intelligent lifeforms. I did not choose this outfit. Shut up.

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 12:44:07 PM »
I understand. I have my privacy setting to where only friends can see most things- so people in groups (I am in more the one) cant see me since I don't know everyone and post pictures of my son and what not. So thats cool.

Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 02:59:06 PM »
I understand. I have my privacy setting to where only friends can see most things- so people in groups (I am in more the one) cant see me since I don't know everyone and post pictures of my son and what not. So thats cool.

This is how my face book account is setup if your not a friend of a friend you cant see my info
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 04:09:05 PM »
I normally wouldn't care- I am really open and "out there" but I have pics of my kid....and you know......people are weird.
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 04:22:26 PM »
I normally wouldn't care- I am really open and "out there" but I have pics of my kid....and you know......people are weird.

Noooooooppppppppeeeeeeeee I neeeeeeeeevvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrr noticed that people are weird
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

DarthDadaD20

• Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »
Like- Asking me to polish their wand kinda weird???  ;D
Within Shad0w.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 09:25:16 AM »
Like- Asking me to polish their wand kinda weird???  ;D

What you do in your free time is none of our business.  :D

Evolusi

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »
make a new facebook just for octgn, I have several FBs and just turn on email notifications (which are filed away into folders) whenever I get posts.