June 16, 2024, 11:55:30 AM

Author Topic: List of all promos?  (Read 14915 times)

Reakon

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
List of all promos?
« on: July 26, 2013, 01:08:44 PM »
Hey there folks!

First post on the forum, feels good, aha.

Fell in love with the game, ordered my first lot (core set, spellbook pack and forcemaster v warlord), and through luck I've been able to get my hands on (well they're on the way) seasons 1, 2 and 3 of the organized play.

But anyway, my question here is does anyone have a full list of all promo cards that have been released? I know all three seasons have their own promos, and the dice tower (I want to say kickstarter?) has a promo card back of 10. Other than that, I'm not aware of any promos, but I thought I'd ask around and see if there are.

I have a ocd completionist mentality when it comes to board games. When I get into one, I try to hunt down every single product for it. Which I don't know if I'll do for mage wars, since they have the most epic policy of "eventually all promos will be printed in expansions", but if it turns out the list of current promos is small enough, I might track down a copy of each just to have in my books.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to have many a conversation about this game!

labartels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
Re: List of all promos?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 02:03:18 PM »
Aside from the dice tower promo set- which you can get via donation to Dicetower.com , there have been other promo's given out at cons. Aside from ridiculous prices on ebay- I am not aware of another means of getting them.

Now for the good news-  all promo's are supposed to eventually get published in future releases.
AW does not have a set release schedule- but so far a couple have been printed in sets.
P.S.-
You can use promo's in friendly games but not official tournaments - so while they are nice have - they are not chase items in my opinion.

Enjoy and welcome to Mage Wars!

Reakon

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 04:36:35 PM »
Oh wow, I did not know that!

Thanks for the heads up. I think I will not try to track down the promos I wolnt already be getting ahold of if they wolnt be legal in tounrys anyway. I very much appreciate that!

Also, thanks a hell of a lot too for the info about the dicetower pack still being available. Since I saw people asking like 30$ for it, I assumed it wasn't in print anymore.

Thanks a lot for all the information!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
The OCTGN deck builder has all of the known Promo's at this time. I am sure there are more that have not seen the light of day yet just by looking at the numbering on the current crop of cards.
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Laiyna

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 02:55:23 AM »
OP Kit 1
Dispel
Galador
Minor Heal

OP Kit 2
Asyran Defender
Sersiryx
Stumble
Wand of Healing

OP Kit 3
Oscuda
Mordok's Tome
Clear Mind
Altar of Peace

Bashcon 2013
Summoning Circle

Origins 2013
Life Ring
Med Amulet
Hurl Rock
Sandstorm

Dice Tower 2013
Akiro's Favor
Hurl Meteorite
Lion Savagery
Temple High Guard
Vorpal Blade
Ballista
Bloodcrag Minotaur
Critical Strike
Morning Star
Gravikor

Gen Con 2013
Bloodcrag Minotaur
Vorpal Blade
Spiked Buckler
Akiro's Favor

Though I wish they would stop with the promo cards, its a real unbalance in the game. You can hardly ask a friend to not play with the cards if he got them and love them, but you dont have an answer for them. It makes from this game more a collectable card game atm, then a real game.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 09:38:37 PM »
You can absolutely ask to play tournament legal games.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 01:33:19 PM »
Though I wish they would stop with the promo cards, its a real unbalance in the game. You can hardly ask a friend to not play with the cards if he got them and love them, but you dont have an answer for them. It makes from this game more a collectable card game atm, then a real game.

I keep getting further and further amazed/stunned with this topic. We are talking non-tourney Friendly games. It is very simple to say lets play (with/without) promos. Now I understand someone might have books built already. So the next time we play we (should/should not) use promos or bring one spellbook with and one without. If I cant get my friend to go along with that, then I will not be playing Mage Wars with him. You can proxy promos and use them that way.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 04:23:49 PM by sIKE »

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 02:24:06 PM »

Seconded. Unless there are shadow games where souls are on the line and all cards are legal, i don't understand why promo cards are having such a huge impact on casual play. If i had a friend that told me if i don't let him play with promo cards he wouldn't play, I'd call him replaceable and teach someone new.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 04:38:37 PM »

I keep getting further and further amazed/stunned with this topic. We are talking non-tourney Friendly games. It is very simple to say lets play (with/without) promos. Now I understand someone might have books built already. So the next time we play we (should/should not) use promos or bring one spellbook with and one without. If I cant get my friend to go along with that, then I will not be playing Mage Wars with him. You can proxy promos and use them that way.

Proxy them with what? Is there even a place on the AW website that shows all the promos? Let alone files large enough to print.

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 04:42:34 PM »
If there is a card i need, i just write on a piece of paper, put a card in a sleeve backwards, and stick the makeshift card in that.

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »

Proxy them with what? Is there even a place on the AW website that shows all the promos? Let alone files large enough to print.

You know that is quite easy. You know those cards on e-bay? They have everything you need to write up a proxy....if you were to download Octgn for just the Deck Builder piece all of the proxies are their also and written up. The ones from Gencon should be up soon...even...then I have sleeve it.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
Ok, but that doesn't exactly seem legitimate. If AW is really cool with this idea they should at least provide a list of promos with low-rez images. I've even gone searching for promos before I hadn't found all of the one's listed in this thread.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 07:06:15 PM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 07:15:49 PM by Wiz-Pig »

Doma0997

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 08:34:45 PM »
A proxy doesn't really need to be legitimate, it just has to work as a stand in. When i used to play magic, i could often get away with just writing the card name down and going from there. I mean, you can't do that here, but the point stands. You can use proxies for testing, and if you get the ok, casual games. It detracts from the visual appeal, but i feel the people that want the promos early want them for competitive testing or 'beta' testing, which a written piece works just as well for.

Shad0w

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 08:10:42 AM »
A proxy doesn't really need to be legitimate, it just has to work as a stand in. When i used to play magic, i could often get away with just writing the card name down and going from there. I mean, you can't do that here, but the point stands. You can use proxies for testing, and if you get the ok, casual games. It detracts from the visual appeal, but i feel the people that want the promos early want them for competitive testing or 'beta' testing, which a written piece works just as well for.

I proxy promos all the time because even I do not have full sets of everything. I always state a week before we play if we will use promos or not and no body seem to have a issue with that. Like Doma I proxy MTG cards when testing decks.
"Darth come prove to meet you are worthy of the fighting for your school in the arena and not just another scholar to be discarded like an worn out rag doll"

Quote: Shad0w the Arcmage