April 30, 2024, 08:38:36 AM

Author Topic: Index and Organized Spell Document  (Read 11434 times)

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
Re: Index and Organized Spell Document
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
Nope, I'll let you know as soon as there is. Last thing they said was that they were still mulling it over.

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2013, 05:20:13 AM »
Be pretty keen on this also. I like being able to browse through all the cards while I'm reading session summaries and mulling over strategies. I could also give it to friends to plan their spellbook before they come over.

It'd be a shame for AW to say no, as it's something could make themselves anyway, is just a hassle and less time to be playing :)

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »
Idk, at this point I'm starting to assume they have forgotten about it entirely. Still no official decision.

cbalian

• Full Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2013, 12:57:15 PM »
Sounds like a great idea Wiz-Pig!  :D

Since this has been 2 months they may have.  It wouldn't take two months to say yes or no, even if they were debating it.  Probably busy with the errata and testing and upcoming expansion and other stuff and it just fell through the cracks.

I'd maybe ask cust svc again just to follow up one last time though, that might bring it back up.  It should only take a week or so to say yes or no to being able to share a PDF you created.  I would like to see it and use it.

And yes Dropbox is a great way to go for large files.

As far as organizing/splitting it up, in pdf you can put index, table of contents on it so it is easy to navigate find things.  I'd love it for hard copy offline purposes.  I put my cards in 3 x 3 clear vinyl binder pages, so the 9 cards per page definitely seems to make sense as you mentioned. 

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »
In another thread AW reps outline that they are developing an in house deck builder. It's probable that they're considering your request alongside this project. I get the impression they're preferring to manage the release an distribution of the card work as much as possible.

ringkichard

• Flightless Funpire
  • Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Kich, if you prefer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2013, 04:52:38 PM »
If you check out what Pixelgeek is doing it's no great stretch to see what the in-house solution might be.
I can take the fun out of anything. It's true; here, look at this spreadsheet.

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 07:41:28 PM »
That is pretty fantastic! I'm glad they've decided to implement this sort of solution for an online reference. I even know how to do it myself; it's actually quite simple; the work, which is still considerable is all in the organization of and the shear number of cards.

The point of my doc was to be able to print it out, for a non-computer reference. And yes I realize the potential issues with that, but it is also possible to watermark the images and they are scaled to about 2/3rds size.

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2013, 12:35:48 PM »
To all,

Greetings and salutations. My apologies for not updating you fine folks sooner. You are correct in that we are working with Pixelgeek to create a web capable card database. In fact as I type this, the database is being populated right behind me. (Kumanjaro is done. Core and FvW are in process.) I don't have an expected date of completion yet, but we are putting a lot of pressure on getting this done as soon as possible. As soon as I have an ETA, I will be sure to post it! Thank you all for your patience. And Wiz-Pig, thank you very much for your enthusiasm and hard work. We appreciate it so much. You helped us see the importance of this project and getting it off the ground.

Sincerely,

John

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2013, 01:44:54 PM »

There's lovely now, boyo.

Alpha

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2013, 02:26:34 PM »
All hail Thessial and pixelgeek.

HAIL!

sIKE

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 18
  • Ugh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2013, 02:56:36 PM »
Hail Yes!
  • Favourite Mage: Malakai Priest

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2013, 04:58:42 PM »
Awesome. Thanks much to Thessial and Pixel-Geek!

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2013, 05:22:15 PM »
The last thing you probably want as requests, and I note you say web capable database, but one of the benefits of what wiz-pig was proposing was offline (even, horror, paper based) access.  Please keep this in mind, as the rest of the world isnt yet as internet ready as the US :)

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 01:24:52 PM »
Moon,

Requests are fine, just so long as you don't throw stones at us if we can't fulfill them.  :D

However in your case, I am trying to get more details on yours. Web-capable can also be thought of as Website embedded. So in theory if you can access these forums, you should have access to the database (when its ready).

Does that resolve your concern? If not please give me more details.

Thank you,

John

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2013, 02:02:58 PM »
Thanks for replying Thessial,  perhaps it's a little plebeian in this world of clever tricks and toys, but being able to have a simple paper based reference would be really handy. I understand not printing images of the cards in the rule books as it would bulk them out hugely. But as a resource, a pdf to print or have on a tablet would be a godsend.

You could even make access based on provision of a serial number or something if you're worried about rip off's. Although I'd really doubt someone print and playing MW :)

Basically we don't always, as don't many in the world, have permanent portable web access. So I want a solution that can be downloaded and run without permanent connectivity. So perhaps the Web based solution you're working on could meet this need, depending on how it's run.

I want to be able to lookup cards when I'm on the bus or elsewhere away from a connection. I want to be able to check the conditions on a card while I'm playing without giving away which hidden card I'm checking. I think there are reasonable reasons for an on hand resource that shouldn't need an internet connection to use.