March 29, 2024, 04:19:44 AM

Author Topic: 4 player expansion  (Read 15274 times)

Cowbell

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
4 player expansion
« on: September 20, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
Is the four player expansion going to be that ( a four player expansion) or is it going to be like a second version of the starter set. I.e if I want to play this game with multiple people, should i get one core set and wait for the four player expansion, or should I wait and just buy the four player thing?

Klaxas

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: 4 player expansion
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 03:13:05 PM »
i believe the 4 player expansion will be extra sets of markers and tokens (like the action markers) as well as maybe extra cards, maybe 2 more spellbooks.  dont know for sure.  i do not think it will have an extra board but i could be wrong.

to answer your question it will not be the same as a starter, (different colored action markers) so if your really into the four player, then wait for that expansion would be my guess.
Favorite Mage: The one I am using.

Scarob

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »
That would be good, it'l essentially be the starter pack minus the cards and rules. What I'd like to see is multicoloured expansions so that if necessary new players could pretty much create their own starter box, so they would get two 'player expansion' sets (that's if each set only contains a single colour etcetera), separate rules and that's about it.........oh oh oh will the player expansions include similar coloured dice?.... that'l cool XD

Gigan

• Elder
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
It has yet to be determined.  It would most likely include more spellbooks, spells (possibly some new ones), status boards, markers, and counters.  Also, we are wanting to make a much larger arena board to accommodate 4 players.

Spyre

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
I would love to see the 4 player expansion come with at least one new mage, especially if it comes out before the Necromancer/ForceMaster expansion.

Mestrahd

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 08:19:46 PM »
I bought 2 cores with the intention of painting two sets of markers different colors. However, I would probably totally buy the 4 player "expansion" if it came with new cards and/or a new mage!

fas723

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 04:28:47 AM »
Any date when this will be released yet?

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 10:04:17 PM »
In the near future we will provide you with alternative colored action markers. This is the primary impediment to a four player game.  The action markers will be yellow and green. Once we know they're on their way to the distributors we'll announce it (forums, facebook, BGG, etc.)

As far as an actual full four player expansion, our current product plan is to produce several of the two mage expansions to the game before we produce an alternate 'big' expansion.

The Forcemaster Vs Warlord Expansion that should be out this quarter and we would are gearing up to start in on the next couple of mages pretty quickly as soon as it hits shipping.

I am adding your comments here to my notes for a multiplayer player expansion.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

Feel free to post more ideas. I will be watching this thread.

John

Badmojojojo

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2013, 01:01:17 PM »
I am most excited for a 4 player expansion.  Surprised the company has not decided to roll it up into one package: 2 new characters with new action color markers, bigger board, and an expanded rule book with added pages on how the 4 player works.  Heck, it could just be another starter box with different spells and different colors.  The bigger board is important, though.

LumberjackJim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2013, 04:07:36 PM »
Quote from: "Thessial" post=6780
The Forcemaster Vs Warlord Expansion that should be out this quarter

This quarter? But the sell sheet says late January! I don't know if I can wait any longer!

Bu seriously, how much longer should I expect to wait, because I am itching for some Jedi action.

LumberjackJim

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2013, 04:15:16 PM »
Now for a more on-topic reply:
Will the 4-player expansion be coming with more Mage status boards and cubes?  From what I've seen, it looks like it's just the action markers(one again, going by the sell sheets.  Don't know if those are outdated...).  I also think more damage and mana counters would would be really nice in a 4-player expansion.  I personally play with just one core set (GASP!), so we tend to run low on mana counters near the end of the game.  I guess the same could go for all the punch-out tokens that come in the core set, especially if the idea is "buy this expansion and you and three people can play with just this and the core set".

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2013, 07:55:36 PM »
LumberJack: Sigh... you and me both. I need to cause Mind School pain sooooo much!

We got the proofs for the set and weren't happy with the quality so we sent them back which has added some time.

We are really close to being able to give a firm date....which also means we are really close to release incidentally. I want to give you a firm release date, but the moment I do the fates will cause the proofs to explode or something else equally horrific and set us back a crazy amount.

As soon as I have a firm release date, you will have a firm date.

Master Ruprecht

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 05:53:33 AM »
what about the (planned) contents of the 4 player expansion? As LumberjackJim said, it looks like it was the action markers only, which would be very unsatisfying for me..

Thessial

• Vice President
  • Administrator
  • Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 02:44:51 PM »
The Sell Sheet is still accurate in terms on product contents.

The Forcemaster Vs. Warlord expansion will contain:
216 Spell Cards
2 Custom Spellbooks
2 Mage Cards
2 Mage Ability Cards
Die-cut markers (These are the health and mana marker variety.)
Rules

Action Markers (packaged separately) are heading out to distributors today.

Hope this gives you some clarity.

John

Locusshifter

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 04:51:48 PM »
So I guess I will have to simply make copies of the stat boards for the mages and print them out if I want multiplayer?

I wasn't so keen on buying a second core so soon given that I had gotten the spell tomes and wanted to spend time with what I had before dropping another big chunk of change; not to mention the upcoming mage expansion.

I'm really glad we'll see token and marker packs. I've had some great discussion on BGG about "optimal" size of arena and if a second board is really the way to go (which I've basically decided against), so overall I've been hoping for everything to be piece meal any way.