March 28, 2024, 05:28:46 PM

Author Topic: 2 core sets?  (Read 11872 times)

brimmstorm

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
2 core sets?
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:15:55 PM »
I'm looking at getting in to the game but I have a question. Is it better to buy two core sets instead of buying one core set, the extra two spell tomes, and the binders, and tokens? Seems like a better deal to buy two core sets but I wanted to get advice from people who play the game.

Alpha

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
Re: 2 core sets?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 09:02:43 PM »
Let me share my thoughts.

1. In a custom built spell book, "You may include up to 6 copies of each Level 1 spell in your spellbook, and up to 4 copies of all higher-level spells." (Mage Wars Rulebook page 36).

This is most likely the biggest reason why a 2nd core set is handy. So that you have access to more copies of the same card. Certain strategies could definitely include/require a lot of the same card.

2. How many people will you be playing with and will they have their 'own' core set? If you need to share your core set with another person or if you plan on trying out some 4 player games and those people do not have their own set then of course in this situation having a 2nd core set could be very helpful in creating multiple spellbooks.

3. In my opinion the extra tokens won't make much of a difference. I have never had a big issue with running out of tokens.

4. The extra binders are nice but again this depends on if you will be sharing your core set with other people as mentioned in point 2. If you will be using the core set for yourself then I think 2 binders are quite sufficient. Please also note two things. 1) The 'Mage Wars Forcemaster Vs. Warlord Expansion' also comes with two spell binders and I'm confident the future expansions of Mage Wars will also have this. So if you decide to start 'expanding' in the future, you will also be getting extra spell binders. b) Arcane Wonders also sells a 'Mage Wars Spellbook Pack 1' which comes with 2 extra spell binders. So if you are specifically looking for more binders then this might be a better route for you.

To conclude, I think having a 2nd core set is very valuable and a good idea. THAT BEING SAID, my recommendation to you as a starting mage would be to pick up 1 core set to start. Play the game, have some fun and from there if you decide to expand with a 2nd core set then just pick up a 2nd copy at that point in time. There is no reason in my opinion why you would have to make this decision now. Start with 1. If you are ordering the product online then there would be shipping involved so yes this would be one reason why you would want to get both in one go but consider this. If you really like the game so much that you will want to have a 2nd core set then I'm sure you'd be VERY interested in Mage Wars's Expansion sets and if this is the case a 2nd online order would be necessary anyways.

I hope this helps with your decision making.

Thanks!
Alpha

Alpha

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
After I posted my last reply I read over your question again and realized that you aren't deciding between 1 core set or two core sets (which is what my original reply goes into) but rather between 2 core sets versus 1 core set, the two spell tomes, the binders and the action markers.

Well, given you have decidied that you want more than just 1 core set I would 1000000% recommend getting 2 core sets compared to 1 core set, two spell tomes, the binders and the action markers.

Here are the reasons.
1. 2x 'Mage Wars Core Set' is cheaper than 'Mage Wars Core Spell Tome', 'Mage Wars Core Spell Tome 2', 'Mage Wars Spellbook Pack 1' and 'Action Marker Set'.

The biggest reason I would recommend the 2x Core sets is because a single Core set comes with 322 Spell cards however the two Core Spell Tomes combined only come with 222 Spell cards. Which means you are actually getting a lot more copies of cards with a 2nd core set.

3. With 2x Core sets you have 2 copies of each of the base mages (Wizard, Warlock, Beastmaster, Priestess). So if you do decide to play with your friends who don't have their own cards you can most definitely play the same mage if you want to.

4. Although as I mentioned in my first post the extra tokens aren't necessary but having them can't hurt either ;).

5. A second game board! If you plan on playing with more than 3 people this could come in handy.

6. More Dice! (Attack Dice and Effect Die (d12)). When I enter the arena.. the last thing I want to do is share my battle dice with my opponent!

7. I see 2 (very minor) reasons why getting all of the seperate stuff would be beneficial. 1) The spell binders you get look different... (Very minor). 2) The action markers have a different color. (This can be very nice when playing with more than 2 people. VERY nice but comparing this to points 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 this really doesn't matter that much.

Thanks!
Alpha

pixelgeek

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 09:34:35 PM »
I am in the opposite camp. I've never felt the need for the additional cards outside of the Spell Tomes and I really like having the different coloured spell books. I always know which one is for which mage just based on colour.
  • Favourite Mage: Adramelech Warlock
Arcane Wonders Web Guy
Problem with the forums or website?

Send me a PM

Words to live by: I commit strongly to defending my wand.   Precisely so that I don't lose it.

labartels

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 05:05:42 AM »
I would say pick up 2 core sets. Better bang for your buck. In addition you get the extra board , dice, counters, tracking sheets etc. you can then just spray paint the extra markers and have a 4 player set ready to go. Also if you don't have a FLGS I would recommend Miniatures Market orders over 100$ ship free (US) and the discount rate is really good. As gafr as different looking spell books- just glur a clear hard sleeve in the front of the book and slip in the extra copy of the mage you got in your second set in it and you can tell which spellbook belongs to which mage. don't forget you get a set of different looking spellbooks in the FM v WL set as well.

baronzaltor

• Playtester
  • Legendary Mage
  • Banana Stickers 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 10:52:21 AM »
I very much endorse getting 2 cores if it works with your finances.  If you play with a good sized group its nice to have multiple copies of the different mages and it gives you 2 boards and an extra set of status boards if you want to play 4 player games.  Its also nice to have the extra damage tokens, mana tokens, condition markers and so on.

phillipsjr2

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 11:15:15 AM »
I disagree with the different colored binders being very minor. I think their value is pretty high and they look quite nice, plus as one user already mentioned they help you greatly in differentiating the mages.

reddawn

• Playtester
  • Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 01:52:13 PM »
Id recommend just getting the core set first, and then the Forcemaster vs Warlord expansion for the 2 other mages, and then it could a good idea to consider getting spell tome 1 and the Conquest of Kumanjaro expansion after you're more familiar with the game. 

After you're more experienced, you'll find that there's really very little reason to have more than 1-2 of most cards in a given book.  Other than Mana Flowers/Crystals and each mage's respective Rings, there's really not many "must-play" cards in the game. MW, thankfully, is a game that is customizable enough so that your books feel different from your friends', yet restrictive enough that each mage remains distinctive.   
  • Favourite Mage: Arraxian Crown Warlock

brimmstorm

• Apprentice
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 03:12:31 PM »
When I play a game I typically like to have all options available to me. I'll get two cores, forcemaster vs. warlord, and the newest expansion as well.

Thanks!

Mohobie

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »
Having 2 core sets with the sole purpose of expanding your deck is probably overkill. I could be mistaken but I'm fairly certain you could expand upon your deck by simply buying the tome add ons at a more cost effective rate. The advantages of 2 core sets is clear.. extra books, board, etc. But I would suggest getting the expansions and tomes first. You will pickup new cards you don't have already and many of the ones you probably wanted from a 2nd core set. All that being said. I'm also pretty sure someone out there could point out some cards which are more abundant in the core set and therefor more cost effective if you want to field 6 copies.

All that being said. Invest in expansions
Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun...

Wiz-Pig

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 12:19:23 PM »
Two core sets is hands down a better deal then the spell tomes.

Fentum

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 01:44:19 PM »
Two core sets is hands down a better deal then the spell tomes.

Tragically, I bought the core sets plus the two tomes. Should have bought two core sets. Ah well. You live and learn.

haslo

• Jr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 02:12:41 PM »
I bought core set plus three tomes, two tome 1 and one tome 2. I'm really happy with the cards I got, very happy with the green and yellow tokens instead of just more blue and red ones, and I also really like the different binder colors.

The one benefits I see in getting a second core are the second game board and the additional dice, and the slightly cheaper price.

scythe0925

• New Mage
  • Banana Stickers 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 08:30:56 PM »
i have 2 core sets, 2 FM vs WL, 2 of each of the tomes, 2 CoK, and pre ordered 2 DR vs NC

I like to make sure i have plenty to build whatever, and it allows my friends and kids to build easier too.

Also nice to be able to loan out to friends, and 2 boards is a MUST for 4 player lol

Moonglow

• Sr. Mage
  • Banana Stickers 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2013, 02:00:07 AM »
There are a couple of threads on BGG thrashing this out...

Nathan on this thread http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/912427/two-core-copies-vs-to...

Posted this (probably ones of the clearest assessments of the difference I've seen):

did a breakdown of what you'd be have with 2xBase vs Base+Cores (based on card lists taken from the file section). I should probably upload my spreadsheet at some point. But for now, here is a list of the extras you'll get each way:

With Base game + Core Tomes 1 & 2 you'd get the following over someone that went with 2 base games:

1 Hand of Bim-Shalla
1 Jinx
2 Purify
1 Regrowth Belt
1 Shift Enchantment

With two Base games you get the following over someone that went with base + cores:

2 Agony, 3 Asyran Cleric, 1 Banish, 1 Battle Forge, 1 Bear Strength, 3 Bitterwood Fox, 1 Blinding Flash, 3 Block, 1 Blue Gremlin, 2 Call of the Wild, 1 Chain Lightning, 1 Chains of Agony, 1 Cheetah Speed, 1 Cobra Reflexes, 1 Dark Pact Slayer, 2 Darkfenne Bat, 1 Darkfenne Hydra, 3 Decoy, 3 Dispel, 4 Dissolve, 1 Divine Protection, 1 Drain Life, 1 Eagle Wings, 1 Electrify, 1 Elemental Cloak, 1 Emerald Tegu, 1 Enfeeble, 2 Essence Drain, 1 Evade, 1 Explode, 1 Feral Bobcat, 2 Fireball, 2 Firebrand Imp, 1 Firestorm, 1 Flaming Hellion, 1 Force Push, 1 Gray Angel, 2 Harmonize, 1 Hawkeye, 1 Heal, 1 Hellfire Trap, 1 Highland Unicorn, 1 Jet Stream, 1 Knight of Westlock, 1 Knockdown, 2 Lightning Bolt, 1 Mage Wand, 3 Mana Crystal, 3 Mana Flower, 2 Mana Leech, 1 Marked for Death, 3 Minor Heal, 1 Mongoose Agility, 1 Moonglow Amulet, 1 Moonglow Faerie, 3 Nullify, 1 Pacify, 2 Pillar of Light, 1 Poisoned Blood, 1 Purge Magic, 1 Retaliate, 1 Rhino Hide, 1 Ring of Fire, 1 Royal Archer, 1 Sacred Ground, 1 Seeking Dispel, 2 Tanglevine, 1 Teleport, 1 Teleport Trap, 1 Thunderift Falcon, 2 Timber Wolf, 1 Turn to Stone, 1 Vampirism, 1 Wall of Fire, 1 Wall of Stone

You'll also get additional spellbooks, bits, markers, an extra board, ect. So if you paint the extra markers you'll have all you need for 4 players with a bigger arena. And you'll also have two of each Mage so you could do mirror match-ups if you wanted.

[Edited to correct errors from the number counts I was using.]